Sign in to follow this  
robbystore

eternal problems with mis-fire

[align=justify]Hello All. I hope someone can help... Im running out of idea's!. Have owned my VR6 C Storm for 5 months now. Love the thing but cant solve one particular problem. MISFIRE! its only noticable at idle, and its more of a vibration than anything else, but its definately not a smooth engine. I changed the obvious things first, ie spark plugs and leads... no difference. Then decided to take a look at the coil pack, no signs of damage but changed it anyway (not cheap!) .. again, no difference. Finally in desparation I replaced the head gasket, but still no difference. Is there anything else it could possibly be?? even my local friendly garage man is scratching his head.

A second (posibly related but maybe not) problem is it doesnt like starting when hot. Takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the thing to fire, yet from cold it starts on half a turn. Someone has mentioned to me before it could be the coolant temperature sensor being faulty, and therefore effectively flooding the engine (because the thing thinks the engine is always being cold started?) I welcome all guidance and advice.

Just as a foot note (I know this is the wrong section, sorry) Anyone got a pair of front headlight lenses to suit a 1995 Corrado. Both of mine have cracked from recent stone chips (grrrrr..).

Thanks in advance for any help.

:lol: Rob.

Hi dazzy

Not being completely mechanically minded, especially with modern engines, how would reseting the ecu help with a misfire problem?

Cheers

Rob.

ECU reset often helps many things... It's the most complicated bit in the car.. How many times a day do you reset your M$ Windoze box?

Meanwhile, it could be worth checking the fuel delivery system - pump, filter, injectors (they can get clogged over time). Injectors can be cleaned for not a huge amount of dosh I'm told. The ISV is often a prime suspect in idle problems. Don't discount vacuum hose problems either - many people report this as a possible cause.

But having said that, I think 99% of the VR owners on this forum will tell you that their VR has a slight misfire at idle and a certain lack of regularity.. Most learn to at least hate it less, rather than worrying about it too much. ;)

The lumpy idle is just the way 2.9 VR6s are unfortunately but the temp sensor could be worth a change. If the car runs well when cold but sluggish when hot, that's a good indication. If you're getting through a lot of fuel, that is another clue. The sensor is the middle one of a row of three on the thermostat housing and has a blue connector, haven't got a part number.

If you haven't done so already, plug it into a diagnostic machine and that will report any dead/intermittent sensors.

Kev

I now have the replacement sensor with blue connector in my hand. Have peered under the bonnet for a good hour and cant see where to put it though !! help !!

Right. ok. And as the car is currently at the girlfriends house for a few days (and so i cant go look myself right this minute) where exactly is this black plastic cover that needs to be slid off?.

Thanks for help

Rob.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you change just the headlight class on all Corrado's? German Swedish & French list the parts as follows for cars manufactured after 08/1991:

HEADLAMP LENS-LH Part No. 94807 Price: £25.20

HEADLAMP LENS-RH Part No. 94808 Price: £25.20

By the way....I know absolutely nothing about the VR...sorry

Yes you can change just the glass. About the same price from vw. Look below the fpr on the end of the fuel rail (right hand side of the inlet manifold) and go down. It's right next to the fan motor. Half-round black black cover, slide it to the right.

The lumpy idle is just the way 2.9 VR6s are unfortunately

Kev has hit the mark with that really. I have got a VR6 Storm- runs fine and scans through VAG COM OK and yet at idle it feels like its misfiring i.e vibration through the steering wheel and through the seat. Unless its really bad then I wouldn't worry too much. Like Kev says its just the nature of the beast :?

The lumpy idle is just the way 2.9 VR6s are unfortunately

Kev has hit the mark with that really. I have got a VR6 Storm- runs fine and scans through VAG COM OK and yet at idle it feels like its misfiring i.e vibration through the steering wheel and through the seat. Unless its really bad then I wouldn't worry too much. Like Kev says its just the nature of the beast :?

Interestingly though, the exhaust note from outside the car remains stable.....but when you're in the car, you'd swear the lumping about and off-beat vibration is making the car sound cack from the outside!

K