Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Replacing pump with sytec

After fitting my new pump from gsf today thinking it was going to cure all my problems Ive been having, lumpy idle and cutting out etc.

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 979#553979

Its actually made the cutting out even worse and seemed to cut out at every junction now! It does feel smoother now though, and seems to have more poke up the rev range, which is good!

After driving around getting very annoyed, I pulled over and pulled the vac hose off the fuel reg, which I have done before, then run the car. It didnt cut out once, and the idle dropped down nicely!

Why is this happening ? Is it that the reg is fecked ?

:oops: A long shot, but I have not seen "replaced fuel filter" in any of the posts.

They do gum up and are apparently missed out in servicing.

:oops: A long shot, but I have not seen "replaced fuel filter" in any of the posts.

They do gum up and are apparently missed out in servicing.

Im in support Craigowl; I thought the same

Might be worth trying to hunt out a replacement ISV.

My 16v was a pig for about 2 months, getting progressively worse.. symptoms were just very bad idling, though usually better when fully up to temperature - you could start the car fine, sit on the spot revving, and then as soon as you went to drive, first time you dipped the clutch it'd just cut out. Got weird over-revving moments too. I'd cleaned it lots, ensured that it buzzed when you put on the ignition, etc - made no difference. I guess it was just a bad apple.

New (well, used but working) fixed it. Hasn't cut out since in fact!

have you checked all your lines for a vacuum leak or the rocker cover breather theyre prone to splitting as they come off the back of the rocker onto the inlet plastic pipe. A little trick for checking vac leaks is too spray wd40 whilst at idel speed over vac points and pipes youll notice an audible change in the engines running whilst it temporarily seals the hole.

I have checked for vac leaks as youve describe before, but may try again tomorrow. Surely what Ive done is causing a vac leak, so why does the idle drop down nicely ?

When i replaced the fuel pump on my VR after it died i had the same strange problem.

I replaced it with a VW original brand new VDO and it was all over the shop. I complained to the VW dealership as i thought it was a faulty unit. They replaced it themselves under warranty and it was still the same.

I drove it home to give it a chance before returning it and i seem to remember it sorting itself out after a while.

Try renewing the clips on the fuel lines as they come up from the bulkhead (wrapped in heatshield material with velcrow) with decent jubilee ones. The fuel pump is brand new after all and the pressure may be greater than has been up till recent.

After fitting my new pump from gsf today thinking it was going to cure all my problems Ive been having, lumpy idle and cutting out etc.

Hi

Did you do the precautionary thing of removing the fuel pump relay ?

Try reseating it or one from a mates car to see if that cures it.

martyjmcfly, I replaced them a little while ago with some high pressure braided items from Demon Tweeks.

mattkh, the fuel pump relay I replaced last week.

Cheers for the feedback guys, I really need to get to the bottom of this !

The plastic box near the throttle body connected to the ISV on OBD1 VR6 motors is the ISV damper. It keeps the ISV a little quiter. Without it you might hear a slight whistle, whine, or airflowing past the ISV when the ISV is in use.

OBD2 VR6 motors have the Idle Stabilizer Valve built into the throttle body, so this quickie how to does not abbly to newer VR6 motors, or 24v VR6.

THE CAUSE:

the ISV damper is right above the exhaust manifold and gets pretty hot. Well, that and time allow the idle stabilizer valve damper to crack. I've hear reports of them blowing apart also. Anyway, they get weak and break.

THE FIX:

Remove it. Take it off and chuck it. The volkswagen dealer can get you a new one, but whats the point? If your engine cover is in the way, remove it first. Take the ISV damper of, and completely remove the two hoses connected to it. Leave the Idle Stabilizer Vale on. Take the longer of the two hose and cut it so that it connects the ISV back up without the use of the ISV damper box.

All Done. Go Drive.

What GSF part number (or VW part number) pump did you fit. It should be VW number 1H0 919 651 Q. As far as I know, GSF don't list the 4 bar VR6 pump. Last time I need one, I had to get it genuine.

What GSF part number (or VW part number) pump did you fit. It should be VW number 1H0 919 651 Q. As far as I know, GSF don't list the 4 bar VR6 pump. Last time I need one, I had to get it genuine.

Same here with the late G60 (same part number) - VW only listed the VDO item and said I needed a new sender so I tried to get a bosch from GSF (didn't list) then ECP, they said I wouldn't need the sender - it came in but was VDO so still needed the sender... (completly different to the original Pierburg)

As cheesewire has explained on some old posts Ive searched. I got a pump for a MK3 Golf VR6 94-97 from GSF and swapped the senders over as they are completely different. I used the new pump housing and pump with pipes, but used the old sender and lid.

The pump they suppied was made by " erstklassig " which I have never heard of.

GSF no - 18389J

VW eq - 1HO 919 051 AK

Arent all the vr6 pumps 4bar, then regulated to 3 ?

s**t Ive really balls up now then, I couldnt even afford that pump :mad: !

If thats the case then I could stick the 3 bar reg in I have for now, yes ?

buttles, thanks mate but I think Im going to have to bite the bullet and buy another as soon as I can :mad:

I need to drive back to Hove tonight from Egham in Surrey, and I think Ill just take off the reg vac hose, as its quite dangerous cutting out at every junction !

Not to mention potentially underfuelling your car which would be an even bigger issue... you need to drive it really carefully!

Corrado = 4 bar pump, 4 bar regulator

Golf = 3 bar pump, 3 bar regulator.

Well, actually, in both applications it's less than 2 bar with the vac line attached at idle, but when the engine goes atmospheric (full throttle), it raises to 3/4 bar and no more.

There is just enough headroom in the 3 bar pump to sustain 4 on a stock motor, but with your cams etc, no way.

Imo you should get a £95 Sytec uprated pump and be done with it. Enough fuelling for 500hp and more reliable than the Bisch Basch Bosch ones.

GSF Do do a 4 bar VR6 one, I put one in my G60. Vince at Stealth gave me the part number to order as two GSF's I rang told me they didn't do one!.

I'll dig out the part number from somewhere if you need it! :)

Think it was about £90.

TomD, that would be great cheers !

cheesewire, any problems fitting the sytec pump ? I was thinking about one of these, do you fit it into the pump housing ?

I do think the ecu was over fuelling it anyway with the old pump. Why when I had the original pump in, taking the vac hose off stopped it stalling as much ?

Corrado = 4 bar pump, 4 bar regulator

Golf = 3 bar pump, 3 bar regulator.

Well, actually, in both applications it's less than 2 bar with the vac line attached at idle, but when the engine goes atmospheric (full throttle), it raises to 3/4 bar and no more.

There is just enough headroom in the 3 bar pump to sustain 4 on a stock motor, but with your cams etc, no way.

Imo you should get a £95 Sytec uprated pump and be done with it. Enough fuelling for 500hp and more reliable than the Bisch Basch Bosch ones.

Right I see now ! So the hole time its been the cars under fuelling rather than overfuelling. Taking the vac hose of is increasing the pressure, doh !