Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

Faster i go the more petrol i have!!?

Now this is wierd! My fuel gauge goes up as i accelerate then returns to normal when i idle....any ideas....please dont say i have to keep going fast :lol:

Also my temp gauge does not move until i give the dials a friendly tap....hmmmm

The sender in the tank's a bit wierd like that, you'll find that the gauge drops as you brake too. My dials stick a little, give em a tap and they seem ok...

Petrol slops around the tank, which pushes the float sensor up, which pushes the gauge up ...

Stop moving = no more movement in the tank = float sensor drops to correct reading.

It's not rocket science.. ;)

As for your temp gauge I'd say it's broken! :)

weird, mines the opposite!!!

I accelrate and fuel gauge drops and when i brake it goes up!

Quite normal though at he good Dr points out!

weird, mines the opposite!!!

I accelrate and fuel gauge drops and when i brake it goes up!

Quite normal though at he good Dr points out!

Yep, pretty much every Corrado i've had has been like that - come to think of it - every VW i've had that's been pre - 1999(ish) has been the same :?

That's not right, I reckon the guage is hanging 90 degrees from where it should be, it should only move alot under heavy cornering... it shouldn't move at all under normal driving on flat roads...

At the end of the day tho it is only a float guage in a tank of liquid so it's never going to be spot on...

My gauge goes up under acceleration, down on braking, which I thought was the norm in most vw's for about the last 60 odd years!

My 1967 beetle used to do it, not that it had much acceleration, and my 1990 golf does it as well.

I've had renaults that seem to have more fuel if you're turning right but like Supercharged says 'its never going to be that accurate!'

At least vw's are better than most, i used to have a pug 205 with a gauge that appeared to have no relation to the actual amount of fuel in the tank!

Now this is wierd! My fuel gauge goes up as i accelerate then returns to normal when i idle....any ideas....please dont say i have to keep going fast :lol:

Also my temp gauge does not move until i give the dials a friendly tap....hmmmm

sounds like a bad connection on the back of the circuit board for the temp guage. Someone been messing about with that wiring too?

It's like when your running out of windscreen wash if you accelerate hard you can usually find some in there to get you to the next petrol station :lol: