Sign in to follow this  
ReekieVR

Turbo Diesel Golfs - 150hp spec

Just been offered an 02, 1 owner, 63k, with fsh, cruise, black 5dr, for 8.5k. Doesnt seem like a great bargain, but i am interested.

What is the deal with the 150hp model ? They seem quite rare. Is there a big difference in day to day driving between this and the more common 130hp version?

Any problems with these cars? What should i look out for? Its has had its 60k service - any other big maint jobs likely to come up ?

Tweekability? 8)

Any advice much appreciated as always - i have only driven diesel works vans before !

Oh and happy new year ( 1st post of the year etc ) to you all.

Take it for a test drive.. if you've only driven work vans, I think you'll be impressed :)

Provided its had its cam belt done (which is a fairly lengthy and expensive job) then there should be no more specific diesel jobs again for another 60k, assuming the interval for the cam belt IS 60k on the 150BHP version..?

A remap can take them to about 185BHP and nearly 300lb/ft...

My dad's got a 110. Did the cam belt on it this week. nightmare of a job, never again. cam belt interval was 40K for that particular model.

as for mapping, a guy brought one to our RR day a couple of years back. it did 223bhp and over 300lbs.ft. still did 45mpg on the rollers!

If you've only driven diesel work vans, be prepared to be very impressed. VW Tdi engines are awesome.

if its the 150bhp version it will be the anniversary model which are really nice cars with a lot of poke in them and as said above can be remapped to have more.

Its pretty slow tho isnt it? Was just looking up the specs. 0 - 60 in 8 secs ??? That cant be right. Anyone know the real world figs ?

TDI's are not about 0-60... they're slow off the lights unless you really rag the pants off them but superb in gear for overtaking, etc.. and really diesel fuel economy is incredible. I made the 'book value' of 53MPG in mine with two mates and a load of luggage in on a trip to Wales once. I think I went there and back and used about 1/3 of a tank of juice!

Really as a daily driver, they're brilliant.. quiet, refined, very frugal, and thanks to the torque just superb for pottering about it.

From my experiences of a 110 leon and a 150 6spd leon they are both excellent to drive.

Ok so its not a sports car but the power is there for everday, practical use and with the econmy that comes with you cant go wrong...

So, how would a 150hp tdi compare for a two car overtake starting @ 45, with the vr ?

What about blasting around the twisties ? Or are they more designed for town and motorway ?

Ok.... Here's alittle helper for you....

firstly the difference between the pd130 and pd150 is the 150 have a front mounted intercooler, also the Turbos are slightly bigger than the early pd130 although the later spec 130's come with the same... The other difference is the mapping....

At around the 60k mark.. yes the cambelt is an expensive job. The rear axel bushes seam to wear abit thin too, which is a bit of nightmare to do if your D.I Y although a local garage will charge you about £100 plus a parts which are pretty cheap even from the stealers....

Silly little things like the MAF sensor is a common fault, which is slightly costly to replace, at around £60 from the stealers.... And last but not least the Coolant tempm sensor goes which causes issues with running but again dead cheap to buy and easy to fix...

Really though they are great cars..... I've just purchased a fully loaded pd130 and recentlt had is remapped.. Its acheiving 185bhp with 314nm torque

The wow factor to these cars is the torque all day long.... 0-60 don't even think about it, I know now that this gives an R32 a very good run for its money through a series of dual carriageways...

Mate... Good examples of these are hard to find... My advise is BUY IT!!! You wont regret it :smile:

P.S It wasn't just the diesel anniversary golfs that came with 150bhp... And all Anniversary models came in a 3dr, and on 52-plates only

Well with the VR you'd be having to change down a bit to get into the power, whereas with the 150BHP TDI, it builds its peak torque at about 3000RPM so really in any gear just put your foot down and you'll feel the surge.

I think essentially if both the VR and the TDI overtook cars at 45MPH, the TDI would be pullingng out and going past much faster whereas the VR would start to fill its lungs and then bellow past a few seconds later.

On the twisties they're not too bad. The default MK4 suspension (on TDI's at least) is very soggy and designed for soaking up potholes and giving a comfortable ride - it will not compare to your VR at all so don't expect it to!

Its hard to describe characteristics though - you really have to test drive a TDI to 'get it' - just try it out! :)

Don't forget these Diesels also came in different specs....

For example mine is a propper Gt Tdi with all the gti suspension and specifications etc...

mtc R32 - thats loads for typing that out. just the sort of info i was after.

thinki may go and check the spec ( i am well used to leather now !) and maybe get a test drive in it.

This does mean that the raddo will go tho and something to replace it is gonna have to be good !

Argh.. I didn't realise it was to replace the Rado. One thing you'll miss is the soundtrack of a petrol engine. Diesels just sound crap, even with the fun of a turbo! :(

mtc R32 - thats loads for typing that out. just the sort of info i was after.

thinki may go and check the spec ( i am well used to leather now !) and maybe get a test drive in it.

This does mean that the raddo will go tho and something to replace it is gonna have to be good !

No Worries...

Since Purchasing the Golf I haven't touched the Rado... Been parked up!!

TBH its just the whole package that does it for me...... Economy, style, leathers, performance etc... Maybe in the summer I'll get the urge for the Petrol again....

TBH there is afew other things that you do ned to check, before purchasing!!!! If you want I'll PM you my mobile number and while your there checking the car you can give me a bell to go over them :smile:

Argh... Jim - i dont want to sell the raddo at all !

But its my daily driver and i could do with saving some money ( yeh - by spending an extra 4k on a new car ! Thats new suspension and a respray with cash to spare )

In fact what am i thinking of??? i went through all this last year and decided to keep it. the gf said that she liked golfs but the raddo was much more "stylish" and she rekoned keep the raddo too.

Maybe i should replace the vr with ...... a vr !

TBH there is afew other things that you do ned to check, before purchasing!!!! If you want I'll PM you my mobile number and while your there checking the car you can give me a bell to go over them :smile:

Cheers dood. May well take you up on that.

Well.. FWIW, I thought the same thing as you. I had a MK4 115BHP TDI before this Corrado.

The Golf was a high miler but had a FVWSH and I figured it would save me money over the Corrado. Did it? No.

Insurance and fuel economy - yes, all nice and cheap, so with regards money in your pocket on a monthly basis, yeah, it worked out.

Otherwise it was a nightmare. Nearly broke down twice - once the clutch pedal broke after I arrived at Ipswich (but thankfully someone at the local Audi fixed it for me, cheap, out of work hours thanks to him being mates with Supercharged!) - and then I almost had some problem with the alternator pulley coming off or something bizarre.

The downpipe rusted and fell apart - a new VW one would have been nearly £500 as it included the CAT in it too, and I had to foot the bill for a major service including cam belt - that was about £500 and I supplied the parts myself!!

None of my 3 rado's have ever cost me the same amounts as that Golf did, and to top it off it depreciated £1,500 in a year.. substantially more than my Rado's ever did.

So aside from the fact that the Golf was very comfortable and frugal, overall it was a financial disaster for me.

Keep the Rado ;)

I think essentially if both the VR and the TDI overtook cars at 45MPH, the TDI would be pulling out and going past much faster whereas the VR would start to fill its lungs and then bellow past a few seconds later.

On the twisties they're not too bad. The default MK4 suspension (on TDI's at least) is very soggy and designed for soaking up potholes and giving a comfortable ride - it will not compare to your VR at all so don't expect it to!

Fairly spot on Jim.

I use the VR everyday to commute - sometimes I take the Bora (150 TDI) if I'm travelling a long distance for work (= more ££ for me!).

To be honest I often get frustrated driving the VR on the daily grind. I just pootle along in a line of cars doing 55-60 if I'm lucky all the way up a dual carraigeway. There's too much traffic on the road to use it properly - it's been good these last few mornings though as lots of people are still on holdiay!

I find the TDI engine great, like Jim says the power is always there (in fact with the 150 it's a rush through the gears if you're really on it) - with the VR there is no doubt it's fast - but I usually have to drop a gear or wait for the thing to build the revs (I must be getting old!). I'm keen to get another TDI when the VR gets sold - I will miss the sound - but 55 mpg to Devon and back at a steady 8o can't be sniffed at!

As for the handling it is barge-like. Our Bora, although a sport, has the standard suspension, and it isn't fun around corners (great for comfort though) but very wallowy - I recommend that you take some advice from the http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/default.aspx

my m8 who is a tech @ VW says that the front engine mounts are prone to go early, due to all the torque they kick out!

another m8 had one as a company car for a while, and raced me up Santa Pod when I had the G60. I think he done it in 15.1, which is about the same as a stock VR iirc. Oh and then his Front engine mount gave out....... :lol:

my m8 who is a tech @ VW says that the front engine mounts are prone to go early, due to all the torque they kick out!

another m8 had one as a company car for a while, and raced me up Santa Pod when I had the G60. I think he done it in 15.1, which is about the same as a stock VR iirc. Oh and then his Front engine mount gave out....... :lol:

the mk4 doesnt have front engine mounts? :roll:

VW were quite conservative with the output figures of the 150, a lot of them make closer to 180hp on the dyno in standard trim and can chip to well over 200 as already mentioned.

One thing though, my mate had an Ibiza PD160, which is a derivative of the 150 and when you chip those up, the clutches don't last long (350lb/ft!) and neither do the dual-mass flywheels, if the Golf uses them?. I think they do? So losing the DM for a regular one and an uprated clutch probably not a bad idea if boosting them up.

I think the 0-60 is slower because of the narrower power band compared with petrol? But it's the incremental times you should look at, like 50-70 in 4th etc, which are miles quicker than a VR.

I prefer petrol turbos to be honest, if you can stomach the fuel bills, but diesel motors like BMW's awesome 335d are just incredible and don't actually feel like diesels as they have better rev ranges than VAG's deisels.

Well here is the final spec:

Aircon, no leather, 6 speed, cruise cont, 60k service done with cam belts, 16" alloys, 63k, 1 owner, fvwsh, oceanic green ( dark i think ). Its not an anniversary edition.

Asking for £8.5k. Again, i looks / sounds ok, but its just market price. I may be able to get them down a bit, but after doing the research i think i am going to stick with the raddo. Maybe i would have jumped if there was a leather interior.

cheers

Mk4 pd130 and pd150's are holding a good stance in the market at present.... Suppose it is down to performance combined with economy....

Sounds about right price tho....