Sign in to follow this  
Craig

few Boost return kit Q's please?

right, ive used the search and this is the reason i thought ill do this mod but i cant find an answer,

ive just received the boost return kit off ebay, now i was wandering do you have to put a sealant on the blanking plate when bolting it to the charger as it says 'bolt on the alloy plate to the charger using a sealer' if so what sealer and is it a halfords job?

now im confused about this bit as it goes on to say when the kits fitted you can adjust the butterfly linkage in the throttle body, in which you have to remove the rubber intake pipe and adjust a white plastic clip and adjust the winding to your preference for a bigger woosh? the instructions say if you fulley adjust it, it will make the car run smoother by shutting this much earlier allowing more air into the engine?

can someone please clarify this for me as im not the most mechanically minded! i thought it was just a simple bolt it on and away you go? thanks

So you're selling the standard item?

Interested if you are, as I want to get rid of the 'whoosh'.

Could you post the actual text though? This might aid comprehension on my part at least...

i think adjusting the linkage can cause major probs and can kill your charger so id leave that bit alone

Im sure someone will confirm

Mike Edwards, sorry, not selling anything. just want to confirm things before i fit it 2m. the exact instructions are as

" 7. now you completed fitting the kit, you can now adjust the butterfly linkage on your dump valve, in the throttle body to make this close earlier as the factory only alows it to close on full throttle. On my own G60 i have adjusted this fully. this adjustment allows the butterfly in the dump valve to shut much earlier. allowing all the air into the enigine and not out the dump valve, in turn will make your car run smoother, more useable power and a big wooosh as the waste is eventually dumped when the throttle is released."

it does state this adjustment is down to preference and not mandatory but what i want to know is are there gains to be had or is it going to upset things?

the next part syas "to adjust the dump valve you will need to remove the rubber intake pipe. below this there is a butterfly linkage which is a white plastic push fit, carefully unclip it, this you would then adjust winding it up to your preference the furhter you wind the better it goes and the bigger the woosh?

anyones help is appreciated! with this and the sealant?

Well, the boost return is just that: unless full throttle is used, a proportion of the high pressure air is returned to the supercharger. While doing this means that warm air is fed back into the charger reducung its efficiency, it means that the engine is only fed full boost when the throttle is wide open.

If you don't adjust the linkage as described in the instructions, you will only get a 'whoosh' sound if you nail the throttle then release it. In terms of perfomance, it is my impression (having driven G60s with and without the boost return) that doing this might give a bit more oomph at full throttle, but reduces it at any other setting making for a more on/off driving experience.

HTH

thanks, also can i use GT85 lube spray off ebay to lube the charger? and is there any more feedback on whether i need a sealeant for the blanking plate?

thanks, also can i use GT85 lube spray off ebay to lube the charger? and is there any more feedback on whether i need a sealeant for the blanking plate?

the orage instant gasket sealant from halfrauds will be fine for sealing the blanking plate, just let it set fully before driving it.

dont use gt85 on the charger as it contains ptfe, any lube containing ptfe or silicone can cause running problems as any lube that makes its way to the engine and gets burned off can leave a layer on the lambda sensor which screws up the way it reads.

darren at g-werks does the proper lube spray which seems to last ages and doesnt contain ptfe or silicone. its also edible.

Let me guess, you bought the legendary.........

VW CORRADO / GOLF / POLO G60 "DUMP VALVE" KIT

Item number: 130063781593

Not a dump valve kit whatsoever, but a boost return removal kit, but yeah you need to use some sort of gasket sealant around the blanking plate / charger mating faces. I would disregard any of the instructions telling you to alter settings on the linkage as never heard of this needing to be done at all...........and I wish he would stop referring to stuff as "dump valve"......

lol,yep ebay jobbie! i knew it was nothing like a dump valve kit but for ease of paypal etc i ordered this instead of the one from g-werks. same thing really apart from the description :) ill leave the settings as they are then, sounds the easier option, thanks

coolrado, ill hava look in halfords 2m then, cheers for that, ill contact darren about the lube soon then but on the G-werks website its listed as 'PTFE chrager lube' but you say ptfe is bad?

It definately doesnt contain PTFE, as we had to use the same product a couple of times in the industry i used to work in and we could not use anything containing PTFE or silicone, i think it just says PTFE on the G-Werks site as it has similar properties to PTFE spray.

cool, thanks for answering all my q's. ill leave the linkage throttle alone and get some sealant 2m and lube from daz. im now happy ;)

as far as adjusting the linkage is concerned, if it is adjusted then the butterfly for boost return will shut earlier causing full boost earlier on.

I think i read before tho, that this can decrease charger life

g-man, soz, didn't mean to imply anything, i know they will be different (most likely in quality of parts used in your favour) but i just meant you get a plate, filter and pipe etc, was having a bit of an ebay shopping spree otherwise it would've been the g-werks kit, ive now got to get some charger lube anyway so i should have thought ahead :)

I did it when I got mine, makes more of a whoosh noise and at a smaller amount of throttle. But then I played about with it and wondered if you adjusted it too much that it would stop the throttle butterfly from opening fully, as the return butterfly can only go so far.

So I changed it back. Makes bugger all difference but makes more noise. TBH I wouldn't bother. :)

so for those who have done the boost deletion mod, do you need to use a sealer on the blanking plate or not as im getting conflicting views, ive got some orange instant gasket sealant but if this isn't nesscessary then illl take it back to halfrauds and get my £4.49 back :)

thanks, well ill give it a go and if it does let in air then ill cross that when it happens, refund time at halfrauds now i think! thanks again

I would tend to use a bit of sealant on the charger / plate mating faces otherwise the seal won't be air-tight and you may potentially lose boost I would have thought ?

you wont loose boost as its on the inlet side of charger i think.Dont want unfiltered air getting in charger anyway

yeah ive left it for now, thought that about the sealant too! but sods law nothings easy as the oil feed to the charger broke, i think there was a kink in it anyway where it had been put back and its just worn over time but when i started her up oil was squirting where the kink was so new pipe, so its a non runner till i get a new oil feed! typical hey, rather it went now tho than on the road and i didnt notice it!

just a quickie, has anyone left the u bend pipe on the bottom of the tb as i removed it all to the cylindical outlet, may just make things nosier?