Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

Worst sunroof install ever!

I met a member 'Davidwort' off forum the other day. He is ultra knowledgable on Corrados. He looked in horror as he said my sunroof was an aftermarket thing thus why the headling was sagging as it was a bit of thin carpet streched. Well this morning i took the terrible headling down to which revealed a sunroof that had been stuck....no word of a lie...stuck to the roof! I pulled on the runners and the entire thing collapsed. I was then left with a hole in my roof. I have cut the runners off and offered the sunroof back up with no nails keeping it in place until i can call a welder tommorow to find out how much its going to cost to get the thing welded in. The hole is far bigger than a normal Rado sunroof hole as David pointed out the other day. Im a bit stuck now, i could get the sunroof welded back in or have a plate put over the top or bottom, whatever it is going to be is going to cost....more money again! :cry: :mad:

oooops!

I've seen them before on 205s and stuff. That's really unfortunate mate! :( I wonder if it'll affect the stregnth of the roof f it's bigger than it is supposed to be?

On a related note, my mate has a series 3 landrover, which had a knackered roof with a couple of holes right in the middle, so his dad stuck one of thos diy sunrooves in, it was only when he had finished that he noticed it was backward.... When you pop it up you get a rather strong breeze in the cab!

:shock: :shock:

I thought I had problems. I should think the roof will need respraying too if you're doing any welding to it at all. That sucks, hope you get it sorted.

I'd offer to weld it up for you, but you're a bit far away, and i'd be too scared to do something like that :wink:

Just make sure you find a bloody good welder, the last thing you want is any warping from the heat.

P.S. What's a headling? :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

:shock: :shock:

P.S. What's a headling? :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

You have just cheered me up Jonny with that :lol: :lol:

Whats the cost of say fitting a full length webasto roof ? or another aftermarket glass roof ? nothing is going to be an easy fix

not to mention the fun you'll have sourcing a non-sunroof headlining

Oh....good point! This is an idea.... My girlfriend is fantastic with upholstery so may get her to make me a headlining, maybe from accoutic black cloth as my interior is black. I know its not a proper job but trying to find a non-sunroof headlining could take months/years!

..Could be the perfect excuse to make it a cab? :)

How sweet would it look with a full length ragtop. Wouldn't fancy fitting one of those much though!

Mancorr, If your girlfriend's good with upholstery, you could go to a materials place and find yourself something really nice to replace the original, a bit of suede or something, kind of OEM+ style. That way it'll give you something to show for all your hard work and expense, though let's hope there's not too much for your sake.

I know headlinings probably the least of your worries at the mo, but if you've got grey headlining in at the moment, stick with a similar colour. My sister's golf cab has a black roof, and it makes the interior really dark.

Good idea Jonny. I know a place which sells thousands of differant styles of materials. I could go really mad and go for the lepoard skin look to match my boxer shorts :lol:

I have to try and keep happy as my bank balance is getting lower :(

Good idea Jonny. I know a place which sells thousands of differant styles of materials. I could go really mad and go for the lepoard skin look to match my boxer shorts :lol:

Or you could leave the existing headlining in there...

Or you could leave the existing headlining in there...

Classic :lol: :lol:

i might be able to help you out here.

My Corrado has a glass tilt and slide roof, but iot's not factory. It was fittted 2 weeks before the car was even registered.

I've taking it out, got another roofskin to go on it.

Would you be interested in it?

seems like yr not having much luck with this rado.. what a joke with the shit sunroof install :roll: