Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Jag XK8 vs Corrado VR6 .. a draw!

I was surprised to find that a hard driven Jag XK8 couldn't leave me standing in the dust this morning on my way to work. (I know it was hard driven cos I could see puffs of black smoke from the exhaust on his gear changes ..)

I stopped accelerating at about 110 (on a private racetrack on my way to work), and we were within a couple of car lengths of each other, had been like that all the way from 30 ish. I think he was a little annoyed that some scruffy old VW (it needs a wash!) had refused to budge..

I just thought I'd share .. nobody at work is a petrol head, sadly... :)

That's good going! Was it one of the new ones?

The XK8 must look pretty huge compared to the corrado.

On the other hand I had an XR2i (I think, although it could have been RS 1800 or turbo) keep with me in my 16v up to about 80 at the weekend :( I just put my foot down in 3rd after a sharp corner, and he didn't fall any further back.... I thought that when I hit 4000rpm I'd start to pull away...

hehe, nice work Doc! :D

always brings a smile to my face when you can keep up with something you wouldn't expect to.

Nice one mate :D The slowest model XK8 has 290bhp 0-60 in 6.4 secs and a top speed of 155 so its understandable that the vr could keep with one of them, if it was a better model then even better :D

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the 290bhp XK8. That makes sense, similar performance to the VR.

It's just that you get so used to driving a car, it doesn't really feel *fast* any more until something like this happens and you just realise you stuck to the back end of a £40k car..

Yeah i know what you mean, i keep thinking mine isnt that fast but i dust most executives in their BM's and Audi's in it and i have kept with a 350Z which you expect to be a lot faster but isnt.

Mines going to be an animal when i charge it :twisted: :D

I stopped accelerating at about 110 (on a private racetrack on my way to work)

:lol:

I had similar thing the other week, but up against one of those Prosche Cayennes (the Gargoyle looking 4x4)

We were side by side, he couldnt lose me :lol: (Same racetrack, of course)

Must have been one of the slower Cayenne's, as I think the top end ones have 400bhp and hit sixty in 5.5 secs..?

It would have been the Cayenne, as opposed to the Cayenne S or turbo.

the standard cayenne is a 3.2 V6 pushing 250 BHP and 0-60 in 9.1 so you should be leaving them behind.

just dont take on a Turbo S beacuse they will leave you behind in a flash.

might be able to keep up with an XK8, but those are the posh hairdressers car, the real one to try against is the XKR!!

Nice one mate :D The slowest model XK8 has 290bhp 0-60 in 6.4 secs and a top speed of 155 so its understandable that the vr could keep with one of them, if it was a better model then even better :D
.. if it was the better model then it was a Hairdresser driving it, LOL. Unless Doc carries some goodies under the bonnet.

Now the 2006 onwards model is lovely, I get to see these on the way to work every day - have done for the past 12 months.

I had a little 'play' with an XK8 on the A303 acouple of weeks back, I was in a 2.0 16V, he left me for dust :cry:

Nice one Doc, always good to have a healthy reminder that despite the age of all our cars none of them are that 'slow' even by modern standards (Unless you have an 8v of course ;))

...and is generally driven by a balding midle aged accountant.

:lol: True, although a throttle is still just a throttle :wink:

It would have been the Cayenne, as opposed to the Cayenne S or turbo.

the standard cayenne is a 3.2 V6 pushing 250 BHP and 0-60 in 9.1 so you should be leaving them behind.

just dont take on a Turbo S beacuse they will leave you behind in a flash.

I think there's 4 types (I did some reading up that night :wink:)

There's the one you mention, plus one that does 0-60 in about 6.5 secs, and 2 other types that are in the 5 second range, which I know would have annihilated me

your right, 4 of em,

Cayenne

Cayenne S

Cayenne Turbo

Cayenne turbo S

but the Turbo S is the one to have if you have a spare 85K kicking around. I was lucky enough to be taken for a spin in one and the acceleration (5.1 to 60) and braking 60-0 in 2.6 seconds did some interesting things to my insides.

Working for Porsche has its benefits.

im not saying they dont exist, im saying the build is crap, my dad used to swear by mercs, but would never touch a manual, always complained they couldnt ge the ratios right and kept breaking. (sounds like auto vr6's!!)