Sign in to follow this  
smish

vr6 conversion

hey guys, just wondering what to do as im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

ive a 91 g60 with 140k,engine is basically knackered,needs new pistons,rings,head done and bottom end bearings are badly knocking and crank polished. all this work i think will cost me about 1000 euro, but a mate of mine bought a 95 passat estate which has a 2.8 vr6 in it which he'll sell to me with gearbox and loom and whatever other bits i might need for 650 euro.

what you guys think is my best plan, get the g-lader back firing on all cylinders, or drop in the big vr6?

your suggestions and tips are greatfully appreciated.

thanks

They'll be more to it than just simply dropping in the VR ....

Considering the hassle and the low price you can pick up some VR's for nowadays, I'd save myself the bother tbh.

Obviously the VR is a far superior engine *ahem*, but it's a lot of work to get the VR into a 4-pot Corrado.

You need a new gearbox, driveshafts, hubs, front subframe and probably quite a few other bits too.

A 1.8T conversion on the other hand... :lol:

Didn't the 91 G60 also still have the early flat bonnet that won't close over a VR6 lump? And why build a car you can buy. As Dinkus says, 1.8T it.

Yes, but I think you can actually get the bonnet to close over a VR...it's just a little cosy.

As Crasher says though - I'd either go for a straight-swap engine (either another G60 or get yours rebuilt), or get silly and put something modern in there.

Plus, when the time comes that you want to sell it, it will retain far more value as a well sorted G60 or a 1.8T conversion than a G60 turned VR6

No-one wants to buy an early Vr6 conversion when you can go out and buy a factory one.

Plus, when the time comes that you want to sell it, it will retain far more value as a well sorted G60 or a 1.8T conversion than a G60 turned VR6

No-one wants to buy an early Vr6 conversion when you can go out and buy a factory one.

Agreed, people wont buy a VR6 conversion, a 1.8T conversion will sell well though as long as its well done.

get a replacemnet G60 engine in it, sell it and buy a vr6 if thats the engine you want. or why dont you get your engine rebuilt and tuned and keep that?? or if you cant decide whether you want a g60 or Vr6...buy both!!