Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

possibly the worst timing belt tensionner in the world

have a look at this, went to replace mancorr's timing tensionner today, couldn't understand why the torque wrench wasn't reaching it's limit and then discovered this.

the face of the bearing casing crushed under just a few NM when tightening, another reason for going VAG on important parts me thinks...

Not like it's a critcal component at all!!

At least you spotted it, could be a lot worse for someone with less experience.

that's why I never buy pattern parts. complete crap.

unless it's a bearing, that I can get direct from SKF/FAG. or a battery, which has to be a bosch silver top, or spark plugs, which VW don't make themselves. then it's got to be genuine VAG parts every time.

We could not believe it....its going back to ECP first thing tomorrow morning! Luckily my old one was ok so David put that one back on. He also sorted the timing out on my car....it runs so much better, better performance and economy :D

We could not believe it....its going back to ECP first thing tomorrow morning! Luckily my old one was ok so David put that one back on. He also sorted the timing out on my car....it runs so much better, better performance and economy :D

Daves the man.. sorted my tensioner out last year...

shame abt the dud part you was supplied with...

A reputable company's and VAG's parts can also be defective, as I've found out more than once!! But Roulex appear to have sent you their plywood mock up instead of the metal production version though.... shockingly poor!

If something seems too cheap, it IS too cheap!

If something seems too cheap, it IS too cheap!

I paid just under £20 for it, dont know how much a VW stealer would charge?

Bally.....You are right, David is the Man! He got my unwell Corrado running like new, pulls like a train now :D

God - that is scary! I can't imagine it'd be much more from VAG...

no, in fact a lot of this sort of service part VW seem to be reducing prices on, I was amazed when I got an AUX belt pulley with a sealed bearing for my mk4 and it was only 20 odd quid, was expecting at least 50 from VW.

had you been eating spinach before you did it up... or was it made from cardboard.?

Did it up with a torque wrench to 45NM :shock: