Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Have I trashed my VR Engine? :-(

Hello

Took my VR out for a spin this evening. Car was going like a rocket until I hoofed it up one my fav bits of dual carriageway, it accelerated fine up the gears, but suddenly started sounding REALLY bad on the overrun and I have just managed to limp it home.

Oil pressure is fine, the engine sounds like its running on three cylinders with no power at all, for some strange reason the idle is fine, there is no strange knocking and the header tank isn't overly pressured

There was a faint smell of electrical burning but I can't see any obvious damage to the fusebox or any of the loom. Has anyone got any ideas what the prob could be?

Could the chains have jumped a tooth? Could the coilpack have suddenly failed (can they suddenly fail?), are there any other sensors which could fail and cause the car to run so bad?

Any help much appreciated

Mike

Check your plugs and leads are all still OK.

Spark plugs can just "give up" or even come loose.

Unfortunately it could be all sorts of reasons, but at least narrow it down to one cylinder first....

Jay

Aye your right Jay- When I wrote the post I genuinely thought I had trashed the engine- it sounded that bad! Been looking through some old posts and a few people have had this symptom when one of the coils in the coilpack failed (I think meaning it would then be running on 4cyls). I'll check the plugs tmrw!

Cheers

From my experience of the VR6, if the car is on its original coilpack, it will be in a bad way. Many seem to fail by ten years of age or sooner.

i had a 2.5 v6 vectra gsi had the same problem turned out to be coilpack

dont laugh i have seen the light now - alalooya :oops:

Incidentally the car is stood and has been for say eight weeks now (bar the occasional 'joyride'). The number of things that are failing is beyond belief; for example the main beams had also gone last night as well (a PITA because weatherproofing the loom again was on my list of things to do). Just goes to show how quickly electrics can deteriorate when they aren't being dried out by that big VR everyday!

Cheers James- I got a second car because I do quite a lot of work miles and I wanted to take the pressure off the Corrado a bit. I'm realising now that leaving it stood is doing it more harm than good so I'll start using it at for at least a week and half each month at the mo- and then much more in summer.

I haven't commented yet in your members gallery- but your turbo VR looks stunning- good work fella! :)

If that hapenned to me, I'd suspect the coilpack. Check it visually - if it did go pop, there will be cracks in the housing around the terminals and possibly scorch marks. If these are present, then there's your answer.