Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Thinking of buying a mk1 Golf cab - advice please

Hello!

Thinking of getting the the other half a Golf cab - either a Rivage or a Sportline... there doesn't seem to be many about but we're happy to wait for the right one!

Have seen an F plate black GTI with leather re-trim on the trader which is tempting but I think we should hold out...

Has anyone got any advice on what to look out for - areas prone to rust, common faults with engine/hood etc?

TIA 8)

Hi Phil,

I have a Tripple white MK1 cabby so I can give you a few pointers.

1. Check the carpet for obvious signs of water leaks. Cabby's usually leak through the front window/roof seal contact area. Normally caused by worn window mechanism's, roof rubbers or doors which have dropped slightly. If you see signs of damp check out the floor etc. A lot of these old girls will leak, you'll be hard pushed to find one that doesn't. If you see obvious signs of damage to the rubber roof seals - these are £90 a side just for the front window section. They are not available anywhere other than through VW as far as I'm aware.

2. Rust on rear wheel arches - usually well hidden behind the plastic spats.

3. As with all MK1 Golfs - corrosion in the filler pipe - this will kill your injection system if it gets in. A plastic filler pipe is a good after market mod.

4. MK1's are pretty robust mechanically but FSH goes with out saying (or decent history file). Exhaust manifolds can blow as they need a special tool to clamp the exhaust to the manifold.

5. Make sure it has a decent (Certified) CAT 1 alarm/imob fitted. These cars may be old but they are still group 16.

6. Expect the brakes to be shite - they all are.

7. Make sure you get the hood bag - you need this over 70mph with the roof down.

8. Take a quick look at the fuse box (Passenger side) make sure it hasn't been frigged about with, these can develop cracks in the PCB that can cause intermittant electrical faults. The give away is unusual wire links.

9. Steering will be heavy as no PAS. The Rivage has PAS as std (not sure about Sportline). Anything else does not. (Women will hate this)

10. The Rivage and Sportline command a premium. (You probably know this anyway)

11. Avoid really low profile tyres, on big rims with lowered suspension. The ride quality will smash your teeth out. Driving a MK1 Cabby is like being dragged up the road in a tin bath at the best of times. 15" rims max - trust me.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help Garry! I used to have a mk1 Golf before the C so was guessing the brakes would be fairly naff... good news about the PAS with the Rivage - looks like that will be what we go for then although I think I prefer the recaro option that you get with the sportline!

I've only seen red sportlines - did they comein other colours? I thought I'd seen them in black as well :?

Will prob be selling the C to help pay for this but at least I'll still have an old dub to play with :D

Cheers fella... have been reding through their classified section - think I want a black sportline as my ideal but there is something about the rivage and it's beige leather that has some major appeal!

If anyone knows anyone or has a Golf cab and is after a nice C then let me know ;) 8)

The mk1 Cab is a very heavy car, we had a 1.6 carb model and it was not the best of cabs. you need a power steering model for sure.

ive seen a nice cab,, but it all depends on who's nice C your trying to get rid off ;)

your mad mate, Mk1's are too old now for daily runarounds

I had a Mk1 Cab, sold it to a copper who lives two mins away from me, I really miss it - I have to have a glance every time I drive past his house. Despite the crap handling and brakes, I will be getting another. Garry pretty much covered it all, the most importnt thing to look out for is the filler neck, mine roted away from the back so I couldnt see it going, cost alot to cure it completely - I fitted a new neck, tank, (had to drop rear axle) both pumps, injectors, cold start valve and warm up reg. (£££££££)

But I loved it!!!!!

Sold it to buymy VR. 8)

Good luck finding a good one.

Chris.

Furkz, lol yeah cheers fella! I'm looking for low mileage pref on a J or a K plate... we have the budget to find a good un IMO and it'll only do about 10 - 12 miles a day!

G60Jet, I know what you mean - but that can all be taken care of! the GTI's can't be that bad!?! :?

ziderapple, fingers crossed mate - there seems to be a few good ones about so it's all a matter of timing I guess 8)

If you're going to get one i'd try and do it ASAP as they'll be more expensive in a couple of months.

Timg60 on here's got one with a kr fitted, he'll probebly know what to look out for mate

Thats what I'm thinking mate... although I bet there's a load of people waiting for the better weather before they sell them! The more I think about doing this the more it makes sence... have posted a wanted thread on the mk1 owners website so fingers crossed something will come up fairly soon 8)

although I bet there's a load of people waiting for the better weather before they sell them!

Yeah, true enough - i'm waiting for a month or two before putting up our MK3 Cabby as it'll sell easier then.

The 1.8 GTi is fine, a little underpowered by todays standards, but still useable as an everyday driver. They produce about 115bhp and are good for 120mph on a good day. I think the 0 to 60 is 8.5 ish.

You buy these cars for the pose - not the burn up. I get so many nice comments from people about mine - and these are people that are not into VW either. Just pull up in a pub with a beer garden on a sunny day and people always ask about it.

I did 80 miles a day in mine for about a year with no issues other than the manifold/exhaust joint leaking which is easy enough to cure providing the garage has the right tools.

Like that a lot - does yours have a power hood? Have only driven ones without so am interested to hear what they're like in operation?

also check the bulkhead where the pedals mount to it, the clutch pedal mounting has a habit of tearing out, there is a reinforcement plate availiable from vw to strenghen it though, two of my mates have cabbys one of which has had the bulkhead bodge welded and the other hasnt even cracked at all.

Like that a lot - does yours have a power hood? Have only driven ones without so am interested to hear what they're like in operation?

No power hood but its pretty easy to use

also check the bulkhead where the pedals mount to it, the clutch pedal mounting has a habit of tearing out, there is a reinforcement plate availiable from vw to strenghen it though, two of my mates have cabbys one of which has had the bulkhead bodge welded and the other hasnt even cracked at all.

The throttle pedal came off mine - I wasn't aware this was a common fault with them. You learn somthing new every day.

The throttle pedal came off mine - I wasn't aware this was a common fault with them. You learn somthing new every day.

appearently also happened to some mk1 roccos (same bulkhead isnt it?)

appearently also happened to some mk1 roccos (same bulkhead isnt it?)

I believe they share some common parts

Been looking into this and I don't think any RHD Mk1s came with PAS, not even the Rivage...

Sorry bud, looks like Claire's going to need Popeye arms to park!

wasn't convinced either.. never thought the steering was that heavy on my mk1 though so I guess it won't be that bad on a cab... we'll see :D

no matter what it will be lighter than a C with the engine off - OMG they're heavy :shock:

If you lower it, the steering seems to get heavier.

My missus has had a clipper for 7 years, and got used to it.

handling is very good for a cab, better than you would expect.

Sportline or rivage are the ones to go for, but command premium. I think people are now holding on to nice ones expecting prices to rise, so check out normal GTI's.

I've got a nice carbed one for sale

hi,

i had a 1991 rivage for about 3 years, and if i was being honest it was probably the best vw i have had (others mk 2, Mk3 VR6 and now raddo 16V). beware though not all rivage's come with power steering and beige leather. watch folr the hood at the side just back form the rear windows, where it folds as this can wear through, alos watch for probs at roof seal, both seemed to be common probs when i was looking for a good one.

i used it as every day car and not infrequently for trips up/down M6 from scotland to liverpool and incredibaly relaible, cheap to run and insure if good secuirty on it. It took me some time to get engine set up right when i got it, but when it was the old 1.8 8V GTI was a great engine, esp low down the revs.