Sign in to follow this  
G60SC_Stoney

S/C VR6 Golf Vs Audi S3

What spec is this S/C VR6 Golf? It should have lunched both the S3 and the GS430. Slowing down past 120mph is wrong.....S/C'd VRs don't stop until they hit the rev limiter almost!

My stage 2 Vortech never had a problem with either of those cars. Straights or corners.

^^^^^

This has been my argument all along, the Corrado is a great car, I've owned one for approaching 12 year now and I certainly wouldn't have spent over £13K buying the VR6 had I not enjoyed driving the valver before it. Unfortunately as VW have dragged their heels for so long replacing it, I decided that I had to get something newer and in my view I was left with little choice. I like my VW cars, I've had my fair share of GTIs too and a new Corrado would have fitted the bill perfectly, but there was (and will be in my view) no new Corrado, the new Iroc is delayed again, maybe it'll be dumped on the pile of others that have been coming out to replace the Corrado since 1995, maybe not.

I'm not sure the S3 looks like an A3 TDi with big wheels, I could tell mine apart from a fair distance, and anyway, what's wrong with a TDi? Chip it and you've got a real torque monster with decent fuel economy. And at the end of the day, yes, you might be able to get up and drive to work at 120mph if it's 4am, until you reach the next jam at least, I'm happy enough coming in at 6am every day.

Real roads, real driving, the S3 is a great car to drive. The Corrado feels like an old car when you drive the two back to back, and mine was built in the last couple of weeks of manufacture so there are few newer.

But.....................The S3 is going next year, I'm not going to get caught in the same trap of buying a car for a shed load of money and then keeping it too long until there's no value left as I have with the VR. Not quite sure what I'll replace it with, new S3, S4, RS4 or maybe I'll give in to my Evo urges and buy Japanese. I will not however be selling the VR, that's here to stay even when it becomes a fair weather driver, that's if my wife ever gets tired of using it every day?

The IROC is no Corrado replacement IMO....well, actually, to be fair, if it drives anywhere near as well as the current MK5 GTI (and it should do), then in terms of driver enjoyment it will be a match, perhaps better.....but in terms of character, styling and general appeal the IROC is miles off and will be even further off when VW start going into their major cost cutting excercises. Quality is going to suffer for sure. I hate it when premium brands utter the words "Streamlining and reducing operating costs". That always means they pay less to build the cars, using cheaper materials and labour and the customers pay the same, or more.

Currently, for me, the cream of the VW crop is definitely the MK5. It's the most sorted car they've ever made imo. Perfectly judged chassis for UK B roads, totally decent engine and very good build quality. I'm waiting to pick up a 3 year old one for £8.5K :-)

The Corrado does feel old compared with new cars, I defo agree with that, but old in a solid way that only 80s and 90s VWs can feel ;-)

tonedef, I was only saying that the Corrado is very distinctive whereas the more modern cars all look kind of similar. TBH if you're really selling your S3 next year I will probably be top of the list making offers, I would love a car that I don't have to worry about, that I can use everyday and keep the C in a garage somewhere.

cheesewire, I agree. Mk5 GTi is a brillant car, I was lucky enough to use one recently as a company car and that thing is extremely capable and you're right the C does feel like an old car when you drive them back to back, but it still feels solid and sorted. You only need to go for a spin in a Subaru Impreza to really feel how light and flimsily a car can be built!

i would imagine i would have had the Lexus as well, but i get worried easily, escecially as we were into licence losing territory. i had it up to 140 before just to see what it would do, but quickly backed down as things get closer a lot quicker at those speeds. Lexus must weigh 2 ton+ so needs a big engine to haul itself along.

but still expect more from an S3, it seems to be one of those cars thats quick off the line (due to 4WD) but then runs out of puff when the power is needed most, which is where the s/c VR6 takes over....

the spec of the Golf VR6 is:

ZR2 charger

Schrick 268 cams

Remap

Lowered (Koni Adjustables)

Supersprint exhaust

205/40/17 paradas

Induction Kit

apparently running 276BHP (unconfirmed by me)