Sign in to follow this  
Spicy G60

rear veiw mirror fell off.

My rear veiw mirror fell off the other day. Well not really true, what really happened was my spoiler stoped working, so I did the first thing I always do and check the fuse. And when I saw a blown one I jumped for joy :lol: only to knock my rear veiw mirror off :( .

I've tried a few things to try and stick it back on and I cant get a solid fix. Its always bouncing about whilke I'm driving and really annoys me.

Any ideas on something to stick it back good and proppa?

I think you can buy proper stuff for sticking it back o from Halfors or such alike.

May be be good idea to warm the windscreen with a hairdryer to help it stick...

i bought some pads from halfords didnt last for 10mins...

then i found some loctite stuff that had a bit of mesh you need to cut to fit then glue been on a year rock solid

look for some of that

The stuff i used from halfords was a loctite product, had a bottle of single use glue and a piece of gauze all made specifically for the job.

Both surfaces have to be nice and clean, i had to scrape and sand the metal bit on my rear view mirror, i then cleaned the bit it fixes onto with meths....The arsey bit is that once you've put the gauze and glue onto the mirror you have to sit and hold it in place for something like 3 minutes! Bonds fantastically well, mines been on for around 6 months now and even after numerous knocks and such its still stuck solid.

Yeah, the sticky pads where the rubbish that the morons at halfords first pointed me to, they didn't even know the loctite stuff existed in their shop!

I used No More Nails double sided sticky pads and they work well. As has been said though, I used white spirit to make sure the surfaces were super clean.

You can get the proper product from the stealers, just ask for glass bonding glue (cant be arsed to dig out the part number)

However any form of quick drying metal to glass epoxy would be fine, superglue is rubbish as it does not take knocks very well (and lets face it, it is very good at what is was designed to do, stick skin together)

Is that right superglue was originally intended to stick wounds together during the world war(s)? Thought I had heard that somewhere...

Have been driving without a rear view mirror for about 2 years now and have passed the MOT's without it. Must get round to sorting that.

my spoiler stoped working, so I did the first thing I always do and check the fuse. And when I saw a blown one I jumped for joy :lol:

Hi

What fuse was is it

Is the car a VR6

Medical glue is superglue, just with a blue tint to it. I don't bother with plasters on me hands anymore, just glue cuts together. Anyway, the mirror. I used Gripfill on my Astras one after giving up on those joke pads. Looked savage, worked wicked.

just as a side note to this one... if you're going to re-stick a mirror to the windscreen, make sure you take the metal mounting bracket off the mirror and glue only this bit onto the windscreen. Leave it taped onto the windscreen for a couple of days to give the glue time to set and then re-attach the mirror to the mount.

(the mirror twists to the side to reveal the mount which is glued to the windscreen.) ;)

Definitely go for the loctite/gauze combo. Used this on a previous car with no probs whatsoever. Apart from achy arms waiting for it to bond lol!! Suprising how many hard knocks the mirror can sustain afterwards to. Should be fine next time you find a blown fuse spicyG60 :-P