Sign in to follow this  
87 Jetta 16v

Ultimate 16v KR NA Engine

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from some people in the know. I am looking to rebuild my 215k 1.8 valver. Current situation is I rebuilt the top end 65k ago, ported the inlet manifolds and head, added some mild 265 piper cams and put a four branch magnex manifold and supersprint two box system on. This seemed to work pretty well and was putting out 168 bhp on the rollers. That was six years ago and now things are not quite what they were. Rebuild time again.

The first thing that I will say is that I want to keep the original engine block with the car, so an engine replacement is out of the question. That leaves me with a KR block and head to work with. At 215k and now a bit loose I am looking at increasing capacity to 2L with a re-bore and new crank, I am however completely in the dark regarding the dimensions for the pistons and if there is a suitable VW crank available. I think a company called BRM sold a 2L modified KR many years ago? I am looking at sourcing some lighter JE Forged pistons and some I-Beam rods, the theory behind this being that lighter weight will equal more revs / power...however, having read the KR FI thread am a bit concerned with gapping, oil burning etc.

Regarding the head, I am looking to refine the porting that I did before but replace the stock VW parts with some lighter Schrick valve gear and some 268 cams, as before, theory being light weight for more revs and power. As this will be my everyday car, I need it to be driveable, reliable, and not drink quite as much as Oliver Reed.

Regarding fuelling, I was thinking of retaining the K-Jet for the time being with the addition of a 50mm manifold and a K-Star (if I can ever find one!). This time the thinking behind this being reliability and economy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or am I wasting my effort, time and money? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Neal.

Great forum BTW.

What you could do is go for a 2.0l bottom end (9a, 6a or ABF) and stick a diesel crank and low comp pistons. This should give you a slightly higher compression than standard and will increase the capacity slightly AFAIK.

Also think about moving over a custom ECU. If you fancy a bit of DIY then Megasquirt is a cheap option but you'd need a fuel rail (BBM do one that can be bought through g-man on here) and a couple of other bits and bobs, but will give you fully mappable management that can in fact be done by yourself.

[/2p]

Thanks for that. I am looking to keep the existing block though, so the 9A is out of the question really. Will the diesel crank still fit the KR? Also, which diesel?

You can increase the capacity of a KR to as much as 2008cc using 83-mm (0.5-mm oversize) 9A pistons (don’t use KS, they burn oil, Mahle are the best and when you can get them, are around £500 a set) and 92.8-mm stroke crank (there are lots of sources for the crank such as 3A, 6A, 9A, 2E, ADY, AGG, ABF, AAC etc etc). You use the original KR rods. A 95.5-mm diesel crank is nigh on impossible to fit inside a KR block as it's 95.5-mm stroke is just too much. The boring of the block to 83-mm is routine but the work required to make the 92.8-mm crank swing is a lot. Each bore base needs to be cut away for rod clearance at middle dead centre, the pistons have to be modified to clear the oil jets at BDC, the oil pump must be changed for a 9A part, the intermediate shaft needs to be modified to clear number four rod as does the oil pump stand, number four rod needs a little work to help avoid the shaft and the area of the the block in front of number three rod needs to be cut back. This is why I only build KR 2litres for people like you; everyone else has a 9A as it is so much less trauma and significantly cheaper. If you find a worn 9A, they can be picked up for around £300, an exchange 9A block (built up including sump/oil pump) and then go to VW with the worn block and exchange it for a 9A for less than a grand.

Slightly off of 87 Jetta 16v's topic, but would 2E pistons and a deisel crank in a 9a block work well for a higher comp N/A engine? What sort of power would you be likely to see? Cheers.

Slightly off of 87 Jetta 16v's topic, but would 2E pistons and a deisel crank in a 9a block work well for a higher comp N/A engine? What sort of power would you be likely to see? Cheers.

At a guess I don't think that would work as the reason you'd use 2e pistons in a 9a with standard crank to lower compression is that the 2e pistons are dished. I think the stroke would put the pistons higher than the deck height with a diesel crank...

cant be of much help, but im sure there was a N/A 242hp c' in the members gallery, might be abit in there.

I am looking at sourcing some lighter JE Forged pistons and some I-Beam rods, the theory behind this being that lighter weight will equal more revs / power...however, having read the KR FI thread am a bit concerned with gapping, oil burning etc.

If you're worried about oil burning, German made Wossner forged pistons would be better for you as they run tighter in the bores than the JEs and also have Moly coated skirts to reduce noise and aid lubrication.

JEs are lighter and beautifully made (too good to go in an engine), but run loose for high hp.... oil consumption isn't bad though to be honest.

That has sold the set of J.E's to me!! My next boring question is... they make them in a 83mm and an 83.5mm bore. Will the 83.5 be ok considering the reliability I need from this?

I have had a look and can't see it, any ideas when it was posted?

Cheers...

just had a good look an cant find it :( ,(maybe early 06?) from what i can remember it was red(i think) fully stripped an as you'd imagine was all about the engine, dont think the owner was a regular on here.

anyone else shed any light?

83.5's have been known to be a problem with the old composite gasket but if you use a metal gasket for an ABF engine it will be fine as VW allow an 83.5 oversize on the ABF.