Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Dodgy Fuel!

Hi,

I dont know whether its the same everywhere but some garages around my area have had a shipment of dodgy fuel causing cars oxygen sensors amongst other things to go wrong. I believe it is from sainsbury's, morissons, tescos and esso??

Just a heads up :wink:

Rob.

Their vehicles have been juddering, misfiring and had a loss of power.

How spooky, that's exactly what the missus's Rover 25 has been doing for the past couple of tankfuls from Morrisons.

We've had to put it in the garage as we didn't have a clue what was up with it. Put your foot down from the lights and it would splutter and die.....back off the gas and then it picks up again and jerks about and surges big time.

Exactly the symptoms mine had after filling up at Morrisons in Bude, Cornwall. I thought I had managed to screw my engine up.

More proof you should only feed you C with V-power!

Yup, thats all I ever feed my VR. I tried Tesco stuff once after getting the motor, but it really didn't like it. It's V-Power everytime now.

I certainly try to use V-power in mine all the time but unfortunately the closest Shell garage isn't exactly close so sometimes i cant make it there and i have to use my local Waitrose' super unleaded but they use BP fuel so its basically Ultimate. I wouldnt use it otherwise.

hmm....I last filled up at Tesco's with there super unleaded thingy, and mines felt unresponsive at time's, almost like its backing off. I mentioned it to you herisites at the MK meet the other day..... I wonder if its owt to do with this? Think i'll be going to Shell next time, just to be sure!

hmm....I last filled up at Tesco's with there super unleaded thingy, and mines felt unresponsive at time's, almost like its backing off. I mentioned it to you herisites at the MK meet the other day..... I wonder if its owt to do with this? Think i'll be going to Shell next time, just to be sure!

Yeah i remember you saying! Could be the case then. I would go for a few thrashes to get rid of it and then stick some V-Power in it :wink:

So what year/models have oxygen/lamdas on them?

I'm wondering if I'll have problems as I filled up on Esso Super on Monday night... :(

Bugger is there's not a Shell/BP for miles...

So what year/models have oxygen/lamdas on them?

Yeah and how much?

I'm going to take all the fuel out, a whole tank :cry: and replace with some fresh juice from somewhere else to see if this changes the running of the C. Initially i thought it was my coil pack as it seemed to be running on half power and i had issues with the car running when wet. Might just replace that anyway now as i have it and they tend to play up after 10 years.

:shock: Sweet chilli dipping sauce! :shock:

Thanks for the heads up matey, it's all happening in my area! In fact, judging from comments made by people in West Byfleet, it must be my local Tesco's!

Good excuse to get V-power from now on then 8)

Well as I say, Morrisons gas has killed my Missus Rover 25, so I'm a victim :-(

Luckily the Rado is at stealth and has V power in it, so nicely out of harms way....but then again I'm running standalone with no lamdba, so doesn't affect me anyway.....but I guess sheddy petrol could potentially cause other problems, burnt exhaust valves probably being the first thing to happen.....and if the petrol is badly contaminated, injectors could suffer too.

We are in the key area for this. The suppliers for Tesco and Morrison (Greenco or something) have admitted the batch of iffy fuel came from abroad via an Essex depot.....but neither could find, or will admit to, finding a problem with the fuel?!!! So that must mean the engine pixies are at it again then?

At the end of the day, most modern engines can work around a faulty lambda, the VR certainly can, so I don't understand why so many cars are being grounded by this...... I think it's more likely that the fuel is SO bad, it's burning properties are just miles off.

This further supports the argument that supermarket fuel is a false economy.

I did hear reports of Ethanol being in the fuel and that would make sense as Morrisons are the only people that sell E85 currently. E85 needs to be run MUCH denser (up to 40% larger injector duty cycles and more timing required - and it rots plastic and rubber fuel lines & filters etc) than petrol, so there's a possibility E85 was put in the wrong tanks?

I could be wrong on this, but I thought that for standard fuel (e.g. 95 Ron) one depot might supply numerous different retailers (both supermarkets and big brands such as Shell) using the same base fuel, and it was just the additives that were different.

If that is the case, then this might affect more than just the supermarkets if it's the base fuel that's contaminated.

Been reading about this on PistonHeads.

A poster on there who develops ECUs recommended to not pay for a new lambda probe, but instead; drain the tank of fuel, put some main brand fuel in , reset fault codes, and try again.

they have just said on the news that so far VWs, and one other make, haven't really been affected?!?!? which i thought was quite funny.........

Are VW lambda's bosch only, or different equipment to other makes of car?

pb

ALL Corrados except for the 1.8 16V have lambda sensors and they were bosch from the factory... They vary in costs from around £30 to £80 depending on supplier and make (and if it's got the correct connector on the end or just bare wires)...

I'm trying to find out more through our newsroom about what's actually wrong with the fuel after having to correct them when they were saying that "the fuel is damaging the engine control units"... how exactly? are they pouring it onto them and setting fire to them? Damaging engine sensors maybe, but not the actual ECU! :roll: :lol:

Henny, you saying the newsroom get things wrong from time to time? Nah, couldn't possibly happen mate :wink:

I heard a newsreader on the radio the other week say that those first pics of Anna Nicole Smith's body being brought out of the hotel had been sold for $500,000000. (Yes that does say 500 million)

Half a billion!! :lol: :lol: Oh how I chuckled.

Now half a Mill, maybe.

Don't forget an American Billion is 'only' a 1000 millions, and ours is a million millions :lol: And their gallon is 3.78 l, ours is 4.54 l, and their 1/4 mile is shorter believe it or not......so if everything in America is in fact smaller, how come the people are so big? :lol:

Besides, who'd pay that for pictures of some chubby old Gold digger anyway?

The press....LOL....what a bunch of turnip peelers. "1000s" of UK motorists straddled with £100s of car repair bills due to petrol. Yeah, less than 100 actual reported cases and £50 for a tank drain and refill, or a lambda probe :-)

If trading standards make sure manufacturers don't lie about their products, why the f'ck aren't the press being monitored for being bullschitting bastards ? Some people do actually believe what they read in the Daily Mail :lol:

1000s of Reported cases? yeah well, as you say the press are not well known for their honesty,

However Im dealing with at least 6 cases at work where burned out oxygen sensors are requiring replacement and costing the customer 500 quid a pop. and they are all in the east london area.

Besides, a few weeks ago I had a crappy tank of fuel and the worst it did was cause a bit of misfiring. clicky Just goes to show, yet again, Dubs are the best choice of motor.

ive been working on jap cars for years and for years we have been getting this problem , usually reset the warning light and tell the customer not to buy from super markets and the problems gone , we are now getting inundated with worried motorists who want there fuel tanks emptying , but why put a decent octaine boost in the fuel tank and i doubt you will get a problem if your worried about your oxygen sensor then disconect it untill you can fill up with decent fuel you sensor when disconected should make the system go open loop which will make the car run ok your engine warning light may come one on more modern cars but it should stop you burning out the sensor , im not telling people to do this but it simple advise from someone whos been doing the same job for 22 years and im certanly not worried about this problem .my corrado has the sensor unplugged and is running fine but its also got no cat :D