Sign in to follow this  
G60DUBBA

Lysholm Charger??? Better than the G-Lader?

Was on you-tube this evening, was looking at corrados- racing and all sorts.... i noticed the Lysholm charger--- very loud whining noise- sounds beautiful.... Can anyone please enlighten me about the Lysholm charger....

I read an article about it, on the website below.. saw this

http://www.corradocentral.com/lysholm.htm

d.i.y installation.....

Would that be adviseable??

Please can anyone help me with gaining info on the Lysholm charger... installation, maybe price and where i could order one from.

You may think i sound crazy.... but i am very curous. Thanks.

There are a few guys running them on here. We do and were also distruibtors for them in the uk ? what questions do you have ?

ive got one fitted to my G60, cant rate them enough. much better than a G-Lader IMO. and despite what you hear from other people the noise is not really loud or really annoying at all. by the time you are in the car and driving its silent (nearly) and is usually drowned out by the rest of the engine noise and exhaust. the only thing that i can think of against them is the £1500 price tag, but when you consider that 3 rebuilds on a G-lader will cost you £1500 its not too expensive. +the power delivery is smoother than a Glader. i would say you could come for a drive in mine to try it out, but the car is in bits at the moment...

I should have mine on pretty soon, will post up a "proper" vid, as i am yet to find a decent vid of the lysholm properly in action... all ive seen / heard are people revviing the nuts off them whilst stationary...

They are pretty loud compared to a standard G-lader when at higher revs.. but you have the added bonus that you can run silly boost and not be paranoid everytime you press the throttle pedal..lol

If I had been keeping my G-lader i reckon i would have been getting it rebuilt once a year as i am running a 65mm pulley, so its nice to know that its not going to need much attention for a while and i can concentrate on other aspects of the car.

I went for one aswell mate but again cant tell you what its like as i havent fitted it yet. There seems to be alot of opinions of them on vw vortex. Sum are good and sum are bad but the gud ones seem to outway the bad ones by alot.

There seems to be a bit of a problem when fitting the silencer kits.. from what i can tell hardly any units have been known to fail without the silencer kit..

From what i have read its when the silncer kit is added is when people have started to have problems , something to do with the additional weight on the end of the charger and it twisting...?

dont worry i am not going to fit one, i think the lysholms sound bloody awesome unsilenced!

sorry bout the late 13 month response. My charger is on its way out....

what do you lost think? rebuild or just a new type charger?

They are awesome, had 1 myself and they boost sooner for longer than the g lader, people who see the vids and say they sound crap are people who have not been for a drive in 1, they do sound exactly like the vids do when your not motoring along and just sat there revving the nuts off them but once on the move they are pretty quiet until you open the throttle and all hell breaks loose and sound completely different to when your sat there revving.

Follow this linkBahn Brenner Motorsport to the best vid i have seen of a drive by running the charger you are after.

I've ridden in a G60 with a lysholm charger, and they're pretty fun.

The big advantage to the stock g-lader is it has a very good amount of low-end torque that you won't get with the lysholm. The Lysholm charger will provide you with a better high-end torque than the g-lader, but about the time it really starts to kick in you'd want to shift.

But over here, the Lysholm kit is more than I paid for the car so I'm sticking with a g-lader for now :lol: Good luck.

Ive had good and bad experiences with them. My 1st one siezed up after 450 miles, i hadn't even finished running it in :( . Second time round tho and all is well after 2000 miles. Im comparing the lysholm with a standard pulley on to a stage 4 g60 with a 68mm pulley. The lysholm has better midrange but seems to die off abit sooner than the g60 did. I put this down to it not running as much boost as my g60 was. 13psi vs 15psi. But no doubt that will be a different story when i install my 53mm pulley. Just hope this one lasts for a few years lol. Ive heard a few people mention that the ones that are getting churned out now arent as reliable as the older type chargers.

Well that is strange Flusted as Darren has just posted before you saying he can do them, what were his reasons?

*EDIT* just checked the dates on the thread :lol:

^^^^^read before you type :nuts: ^^^^^^

darren also told me to hold back on the bbm charger,an said somethins happenin in the future???still dont know what it is,i was tempted to get one we teh dollar bein so weak against the pound :D but if dazza says wait,then he must know summat :shrug:

That sounds promising, ive been contemplating for a few months what to do with my car. I wanted to spend some money on the engine itself, e.g 1900 bottom end and a big valve cnc head. But the thing that holds me back is what if this charger goes bang, what do i replace it with lol. Any clues as to what it is you should be waiting for?

If your planning the 1900 etc then surely you should get the charger rebuilt, then do the work on the engine then if you change to Lysholm you can sell the charger on with a fresh rebuild on it. No point in sending another charger to the heavens just yet.

The cars already got a lysholm on i meant if this one went pop what would i replace it with... kinda like the idea of keeping it supercharged but wouldn't put a G back on.

oh god its not happening for me in this thread at all, ok so i thought i was replying to G60bubbagump.

Mental note, really really must read properly 1st before typing.

Sorry.

What about a rotrex charger they are supposed to be maintenance free with there own special oil supply but I've never seen one fitted to a 4 pot before but apparently you can.

http://www.stormdevelopments.co.uk/g60-1-8-8v.html

Storm Developments Compressor Supercharging Systems

The Rotrex centrifugal supercharging system kits generate boost pressures up to 2 bar (29 psi) to create the impressive Hp output. The innovative SD kits represent the next generation of centrifugal supercharging. They exhibit a higher energy-efficiency level than any other, they are operational at higher RPM levels, and they also feature a new and completely silent ball bearing planetary drive system.

Due to its high energy-efficiency (80%), the amount of energy consumed by the compressor is returned with both a quicker and greater build-up of air pressure. When compared to alternative supercharging systems, the SD kits are about 10% more efficient. However, the increase at low RPM is even greater, putting the boost pressure of the Rotrex compressors above that of any screw compressor in this RPM range of interest to performance driving. Also, the very high RPM capability (120,000 RPM) of the turbine itself allows for an extremely high maximum air pressure very early in the rev band (1.6 bar at 7000 RPM). In all, this creates a spread of power and torque across the rev band unmatched by any competitor.

There are several reasons why SD engineers choose to equip the 1.8T, VR6, V6 4-Motion & R32 amongst other engines with compressors. First and foremost, a smaller compressor is operational at a broader RPM range, bringing greater boost pressure at both low and high revs, allowing very good drivabilty and acceleration, whilst retaining excellent volumetric efficiency. This is due to complex aerodynamics around the turbine. At low RPM a greater boost is obtained because fewer pockets of air are allowed to slip through unpacked by the rotor blades. At high RPM the smaller diameter of the rotor blades brings down the speed at which the tips of the blades collide with the air; a speed that cannot be allowed to reach near the speed of sound, at which efficient compression is no longer possible.

The loss of energy suffered by pulling a Rotrex supercharger kit is minimal, frequently amounting to less than 1.5% of the total kinetic energy. With equal efficiency to any exhaust driven turbo configuration and absolutely zero throttle lag time, the SD kits create a model for supercharging.

oh god its not happening for me in this thread at all, ok so i thought i was replying to G60bubbagump.

Mental note, really really must read properly 1st before typing.

Sorry.

where did u get that name from lol,thats it i'm deffo gonna hunt you down in rotherham an put the bra on ya :lol:

Calm down Mr Green i was referring to the original thread starter.

And i would have thought after all this time you would have at least shopped a bra on by now???????????????????????????? :D