Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Standard VR6 for

http://www.volkswizard.co.uk Who else :lol:

Whilst you're there, you can pick up a tidy 86 D plate GTI for £3K to go with it, and make that a cool £10K's worth of shopping for the day!

I don't know how he makes a living over pricing his cars so much, but obviously there are plenty of fools out there willing to pay that kind of money.

Ignoring his well written adverts playing on standard and low miles being worth the extra premium, would anyone on here seriously pay £3K for a D plate GTI? One that's been owned by an old fart (never a good thing) and is 5 door?

Madness, I tell ya.....

Eastside had a similar thread a few months ago.............tbh,you get what you pay for and having seen an example of one of his used cars up close and personal then I reckon that VR he has would be worth every penny

I agree 7k is a lot but if you want a standard car that has had all the bits done it should have by now, suspension bushes, new dampers etc etc then 7k is not too bad a price.

Just depends if it has ;)

Unlikely as most VR6 owners get rid of them just before all that needs doing ;-) It's at the mileage where it needs chains for example....

I agree that mint, good examples are worth more, but not THAT much more!

I bet the owner got no more than £4500 for that Corrado.

And £3k for a 20 year old GTI is just a joke. There's one on the trader with similar mileage, 3 door, jade green and it's a year younger for £995.

It's just greed. Even if his cars were the best around I'd never pay those prices out of principal!

When I was looking at vr6's this guy brought one from autotrader just before I could get down. I know he got for just under £3500 and a day later it was the site at over £2000 more!!

It is greed. I doubt he put £2000 or even £200 of work into it

That's a p!ss take! Significant work = thermostat, a switch, a fog lamp, a badge and spark plugs :?

Maybe if it was a Storm but even then I picked up mine for a little shy of 6k with 91k on the clock, FVWSH and in pretty good condition all round

Unlikely as most VR6 owners get rid of them just before all that needs doing It's at the mileage where it needs chains for example....

I thought the chains didn't need replacing unless they start getting noisy?

Well thanks very much kevin.

As someone said eastside have been through this and the bottom line is

your opinion on price is simply your opinion. I have sold most of the cars that Eastside were saying were overpriced.

This all sounds a bit familiar doesn't it anyway? Hasn't someone said the samething about Volkscars who sell every excellent Corrado they get and quickly even though many say they are overpriced?

son of a beesting, can you elaborate on your statement that I bought a car from autotrader and had it up for sale a day later at £2k more? I never look at autotrader to buy cars but if someone is selling and gets messed around by buyers telling them they are too expensive then no wonder they call up a trader.

Oh and I had this email this morning from someone whose opinion is that the car is good value..

"Hi Andrew ,Thanks for the quick reply .It is the blackberry one ,ive been

looking for a good corrado for sometime after owning a succesion of nice mk

2 gtis and sounds from the description that this is a nice one .Tried

phoning yesterday Saturday so would like to view at your earliest

opportunity .I can be contacted on 0121 *** **** again many thanks Adrian."

We all need to make a living and trust me selling cars with comeback, premises and a conscience is not an easy job . I've worked hard to get a good reputation and only buy genuine stock and work long hours, I'be been to work today (I work at least 6 days a week) and spent 5 hours valeting a mk4 Golf. It takes approx £1k to get every Corrado to the standard it needs to be for me to sell and yes some do get some paintwork, they are old cars now and good paintwork costs a fair bit.

You pay your money, you take your choice.

Thanks for letting me have my say

andrew

http://www.volkswizard.co.uk

I don't think Son of a Beesting was making an actual reference to yourself there btw......as AFAIK this is the first Corrado VR6 you have had for sale in years

I can't comment on that car, but really good examples are few and far between and you get what you pay for. I almost gave up looking before I found mine three and a half years ago and it can't have got any easier and you certainly wouldn't get a car as good as Bill Aitkens or Paul Kippaxs for as little as £7,000.

vr6 storm - sorry, i thought son of a beesting's "this guy" was a reference to me but having reread it I can see it could have meant "some guy".

And indeed I have not had a Corrado VR6 since Dec 2002 and that sold too quickly for me to enjoy it. It was this gaping hole in my experience that has made me push to get some more and I'll be using the Blackberry one until it sells hence the price isn't aimed at a quick sale.

I tend to buy cars from non-enthusiasts, the kind of people that would have bought the cars from new, no modifications, serviced regularly, unabused but in need of numerous jobs - 2 of the 3 I have bought recently have needed thermostats and plug leads amongst other things.

If you dispute all these jobs amount to significant work, let me assure you they take a significant chunk out of my margin.

Kevin, some might say sticking a turbo on a 2 wheel drive classic is "Madness, I tell ya....." but hey, that's just my opinion... :lol:

i don't dispute anyones right to price a car as they wish for their business, however i wonder what prospective purchasers think when they compare the sale price to the parkers price as they're invited to do at the bottom of the ad!

i paid about 40% more than parkers recommended price and £7k has got to be about 100% more so its an interesting sales method i'd have thought!! :D

it's weird because on the site all the more modern VW's are reasonably priced, some even quite cheap! but the rado and mk2's are all a wee bit steep.... But there will always be some non-enthusiast who won't have read up on them wanting to pay over the odds for no reason! Good luck to you andrewchapple ;)

Imho if you already own a C then there isn't much to complain about in traders or private buyers asking above the book price as this will hopefully start to push the average price up and in turn make "your car" more valuable. If the C is a modern classic as it is already being suggested then shouldn't we expect the car's value to be on the increase.

Obviously if you don't already own a C then it's a completely different story and now may be the time to buy.

It's also worrying to see C's all too often being written off for relatively minor accident damage because their book value doen't warrant economic repair.

Personally I welcom these high priced C coming up for sale and I hope the general price of a C starts increasing as a consequence.

Long live the Corrado!! :)

Parkers Price Guide - anyone who looks at this to gain an idea of a cars value really does need their head testing. Why, I was at a motor industry dinner last year and just happened to sit next to a sub-editor of this esteemed publication and an interesting discussion ensued re: their valuations of vehicles. Unfortunately for me he put his hands up almost immediately and caved in - in fact he was happy to admit "We're in the business of selling magazines not valuing cars accurately"

Surely in a free market economy people are entitled to advertise their products at whatever they feel they can realise from a sale, if a product is worth what a customer is prepared to pay then who can possibly argue that it's over-priced.

Cars like MK2 Golfs and Corrados are now at the cusp of being deemed collectable by some people and as just an old VW by others - a friend of mine has just paid 4k for a MK2 Oak Green 3 door (small bumper) - he feels as if he's got a good buy because of its overall condition and potential future value - I for one would not like to suggest he paid over the odd's.

I know one of the cars currently for sale via Volkswizard, admittedly for more than the owner sold it for - but the mark-up is far from what I would deem to be excessive.

Just my humble take on things :?