marcus

VR6 Baffled sump?

Under what circumstances are baffled sumps used and when is it vital to have one??

Are they expensive or can u have your existing sump baffled??

Dry sumping is a bit expensive!

Best bet is the alloy Golf R32 sump as it is baffled.

110 quid for the sump, dipstick and dipstick tube (you need all 3).

The sump is siliconed onto the block so you don't need a gasket.

Direct fit but you obviously can't use the oil condition sensor that's built into it.

There was a GB on these sumps ages ago but as is always the way with this forum, no one is ever interested in proper mods, just bling schitt that serves no purpose.

Thanks kev.

Thats miles cheaper than i was expecting.

What have you done with yours then and is a baffled sump crucial when running a turbo?

yeah, a mate of mine runs an R32/4 Mo sump on his VR6 racecar. swears by them as cheap replacement of standard item, especially as they get F**ked all the time going round a track...

Best bet is the alloy Golf R32 sump as it is baffled.

110 quid for the sump, dipstick and dipstick tube (you need all 3).

I might invest in one of these as mine is looking a bit past it and i reckon leaks are in the post...

Have heard the oil condition sensor is right in the middle of the sump?

What is this oil condition sensor, out of interest? What does it do?

Marcus, I just have the R32 sump mate, nothing else special done or needed. The baffling is awesome. Looking at how it's constructed, you would be doing well to shift all the oil away from the oil pump pick up.

I don't know how VW do the whole lot (inc torx head bolts) for a smidge over a tonne. Consider it's a nice alloy casting, which is much more expensive to make than pressed steel...... the steel sump + gasket is £73 + VAT!

Anyway..... on the oil condition sensor, it's not right in the middle of the sump, it's off to one side a bit. Just ignore it and leave it disconnected, not that you can connect it to anything anyway, LOL!

The sensor monitors carbon levels in the oil and lights up a dash indicator when it's time for an oil service. It's really not exciting. Just ignore it.

Laughing Supercharged, could you elaborate on that juuust a tad?

Critical_Mass, it senses Oil condition...

(All MK4 based cars have it and it's used for the variable servicing regime)

Just been to the local VAG dealers about the R32 sump. They said there are 2 sumps available with slight varying dimensions. Can anyone confirm which one to go for? There didn't seem to be any other factors separating the two... Hoping to complete the order tomorrow :)

Does the R32 sump sit any closer to the floor? Its an aluminium job so i cant imagine it being very happy if it touched the floor..

I think it may be shallower than the 12v. The pump has to be changed for that reason. The capacity is the same either way. So catching it shouldn't be a problem - touch wood never done it yet...

Ah yeah, good call, had the R32 sump on mine for a while now and here's the low down:-

I can't remember if these prices include VAT or not, sorry.

R32 baffled sump - 022 103 601R - £89

R32 oil pump - 022 115 105E - £103

R32 pump-to-block pipe - 021 115 203 - £18

Sump sealant - D176 404 A2 - £8

Going back through this thread, what I thought was the R32 I had on originally, was in fact a plain old 4 motion sump, which has very basic baffles (2 simple fins!).

The R32 sump is much shallower than the steel sump (and 4 motion). It sits above the wishbone bolt level, so when going over speed humps, you could end up ground the car out on the chassis, but at least the engine will survive :lol:

So aswell as improved ground clearance, you also get a totally baffled / windage tray'd sump.

You need the R32 pump due to the sump being shallower, and it's been redesigned accordingly.

You seal the sump onto the block with silicon sealant. I recommend the proper white VW stuff (listed above) as it's a lot more oil and fuel resistant than normal commercial silicon. I've had no problems with leaks.

The R32 pump is designed to pump 5/30W Castrol SLX oil, so expect it to be a little whiney from cold with your 10W-40/50/60 oils. The pump is silent when hot.

I've compared oil pressures and the R32 pump supplies the correct pressure for the 12V engine, but it's regulated anyway with a relief valve, just like the 12V pump.

In tems of dipstick arrangements, the R32 one is obviously calibrated for the sump, but it won't work on the 12V. I use the 4 motion dipstick and dipstick tube as it bolts to the filter housing, so is very rigidly mounted.

The R32 dipstick is moved 2" toward the bell housing to clear the intake manifold, so to that effect, you also need to drill a hole in the plastic windage tray in the sump to clear your dipstick, which is in the 12V's position.

Sounds quite involved but it's not. It's p1ss easy and you'll understand all of it when the parts are in your hands :wink:

Enjoy.

P.S. I have pulled some ludicrous cornering speeds with the R32 pump /sump and the pressure guage didn't flicker at all. Not that I really paid attention to that before, but thought it was worth mentioning :lol:

You're welcome chap 8)

My pump was on back order when I ordered it, so expect a delay!

I would also prime it with oil before fitting and crank the motor over for a minute or 2 with the crank sensor pulled to build up pressure.

I have a 4motion alloy sump on mine and is no lower than the standard sump. It has no hole for any sensors. The location is blanked off. I will see if the part number is visable if anyones interested. Has not really made any difference to oil temps but I picked it up for 20 quid.

Had a look under my car at the sump. Numbers painted on the side reads 021 103 601l and needs no other alterations other than sticking on. No sensor hole. If someone could verify what it is as Im going on a number the last owner painted on the side, that would be helpful. Hope it helps.