mic_VR

mic_VR's VR - The Awakening!

nice, this is kinda what i did a while back. but reckon i missed some bits, think i'll get the rear bushes this time round, will wait to see how yours goes tho :)

Hold on?? You changed all the fronts and not the rear and yet you mention all the time your car still feels strange to drive?? Well its obvious its going to be the rear bushes really as you will have a nice stiff front and a sloppy rear, get them done! :lol: I only done my fronts and i can tell its the rears that need doing.

its next on my list now, so much to do :lol:

over the last fornight i've given up caring about it

Rob, don't worry mate I think we've got enough to do this weekend as it is! plus I've got to get some braided lines to fit them and I want some mk4 rears to fit at the same time.

Ok mate no worries. Bring lots of tools with you friday, we have a lot but there's always a tool i dont have or cant find so if you bring some we may get round that :lol:

intrested to see the wheel choice we all wait with baited breath :D

my moneys on 3 spoke nova alloys are they 16's never seen them on a c :lol:

DSC09826.jpg

close enough?

If you can, douse all of the brake line unions in WD40 before you start - they're gonna be cnuts to get off. You wanna make sure you don't round them off and/or twist and shear the hard line, because both result in needing to make up a new hard-line (not fun).

Also probably worth squirting the front carrier bolts liberally with WD40 too.

Gopher black or silver callipers. Makes them just look clean without looking bling 8)

As Toady suggested when we did my car - if you can get someone to keep their foot on the brake pedal while you disconnect the old brake line and re-connect the new one, it stops the fluid pissing out all over the place. Keep an eye on the level in the resevoir and as long as you keep it full, bleeding the brakes is just a case of a few pumps on the brake pedal. Dead easy.

Well after much swearing from both Rob and me we managed to do the fronts fri/yesterday :D and its made a hell of a difference to the car, feels loads taughter (sp) and far less crashy of the bumps etc. Haven't really had a chance to really test it out as I need to sort the tracking and camber out as the drive home was smooth if a little scary as the car was all over the place.

Was not an easy easy job, fairly straight forward but we had a few seized bolts which had to be cut and drilled out (hopefully not damaging the sub frame) and troublesome ARB bushes, but it was all good fun and must say a big thats to Rob for helping and doing the lions share of he work. :notworthy: Cheers sir!

Other thing the new fronts have highlighted is just how bad the rears are, must be doing those asap now as so I think Rob and I are going to try to do ours together, maybe with a chance to get that forum rear axle bush day organised as discussed! But we'll have to start another thread about it if people are interested. 8)

So next on the list is sorting tracking and camber, then rears, then brakes........... :( :lol:

Good work mate, these things always take longer than expected.

The rear beam will take some time, getting it off isnt the issue, its getting the new bushes in (no garage would touch mine so had to improvise and do it myself) and then its getting it back on etc etc. No rush though, best to be done properly..

(no garage would touch mine so had to improvise and do it myself) and then its getting it back on etc etc. No rush though, best to be done properly..

Why's that matey? i thought it was pretty straight forward if you have some kind of press, or am i being naive :?

Its because of the shape of them you cant push them in straight. I needed to get a hold of something a similar shape and then pushed them through in a vice..

Yeah you need the die really out of the VW kit... even if you've not got the other bits then you can use a bearing puller in reverse to push them in... getting them in at the right angle is also critical for the track correction!

but it was all good fun and must say a big thats to Rob for helping and doing the lions share of he work. :notworthy: Cheers sir!

No worries mate, i was happy to help! Glad you can notice the difference after all that work :lol: will feel even better once the tracking is done, mine did!

Roll on the rears hey :( :lol:

Well more treats for the car this weekend, not that it deserves it! :lol:

As I've not really got enough to worry about when out for a drive I thought I'd get myself a gauge pod so that I've got some extra things to show faults up. Purchased from xbones and I'm really impressed with them, very OEM+ and the moving needles are quite entertaining on a drive......

Anyway, PICS! 8)

Before install

DSC00038.jpg

After Install

DSC00043.jpg

And a nice one showing the back lighting

DSC00041.jpg

More updates next week no doubt....... :lol:

As I've not really got enough to worry about when out for a driveI thought I'd get myself a gauge pod so that I've got some extra things to show faults up. Purchased from xbones and I'm really impressed with them, very OEM+ and the moving needles are quite entertaining on a drive......

Anyway, PICS! 8)

Before install

DSC00038.jpg

After Install

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

:lol:

That looks great. Job done.

I had mine fitted by a :cowboy: , when the pressure needle went off the scale (and where it currently resides) and I remarked on the wrongness of it, he said 'it's 'cause the engine's so good'.

Mug. :(

I've always thought the Corrado script should have been in the original style, same with the dash. :geek:

What's the thingies on the thingy area-never seen that before?.. :lol:

the pressure needle went off the scale (and where it currently resides) and I remarked on the wrongness of it, he said 'it's 'cause the engine's so good'.

I've always thought the Corrado script should have been in the original style, same with the dash. :geek:

Have you checked to make sure he's but the right wires on the right poles of the sender? Could be giving a dodgy reading. And what thingy on the thingy area? :? :lol:

Well took my car out today for the first time for a proper run after replacing the wishbones and having the camber set.

Car felt really good, although I'm sure the camber still isn't correct, and went for a fairly spirited drive with a bit of everything. Long fast sections, bit of redline footdown action and a few twisties.

All was going great until I was heading home and all of a sudden I seem to have a problem with 3rd. No matter what I do it's now got a slight crunch into third, all the other gears are fine and once in third the car still pulls like a train. No good with gearboxes so no idea what's wrong but really starting to get hacked off with the bloody car now! no matter how nice I treat it, it still seems to break..... :(

As I've not really got enough to worry about when out for a driveI thought I'd get myself a gauge pod so that I've got some extra things to show faults up. Purchased from xbones and I'm really impressed with them, very OEM+ and the moving needles are quite entertaining on a drive......

Anyway, PICS! 8)

Before install

DSC00038.jpg

After Install

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

I had mine fitted by a :cowboy: , when the pressure needle went off the scale (and where it currently resides) and I remarked on the wrongness of it, he said 'it's 'cause the engine's so good'.

vdo guages go straight off the scale if they are connected to voltage without the sender wire being connected or as said on the switch side of the sender not the guage side

As I've not really got enough to worry about when out for a drive I thought I'd get myself a gauge pod so that I've got some extra things to show faults up. Purchased from xbones and I'm really impressed with them, very OEM+ and the moving needles are quite entertaining on a drive......

Anyway, PICS! 8)

Before install

DSC00038.jpg

After Install

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

thats really nice top job :)

Cheers mate, I'm really impressed with them and I think they are fairly accurate. Getting about 4 bar oil pressure at cold idle and just under 2 bar at warm idle so about what I'd expect.

Now if only I can sort everything else! :lol:

Cheers mate, I'm really impressed with them and I think they are fairly accurate. Getting about 4 bar oil pressure at cold idle and just under 2 bar at warm idle so about what I'd expect.

Now if only I can sort everything else! :lol:

thats about right i get a little more but i am running silkolene pro s 10w/50, very envious they even light up really nice,they look back lit if they are why did they not do the dash like that looks so much better

Anyway, PICS! 8)

Before install

DSC00038.jpg

After Install

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

vdo guages go straight off the scale if they are connected to voltage without the sender wire being connected or as said on the switch side of the sender not the guage side

I'm so clueless with these things that that means nothing at all to me! I will get it sorted one day.

Thanks anyway though.

It's the red thingy and the jack socket next to the coin holder that's stumped me. :scratch:

thats about right i get a little more but i am running silkolene pro s 10w/50, very envious they even light up really nice,they look back lit if they are why did they not do the dash like that looks so much better

Glad to hear thats what others are getting. And yes they are back lit, which looks a lot better than the dash and I have no idea why they didn't do them both that way. Guess it was a case of VW just sending bin parts over to Karmann and we're stuck with it now! :lol:

I'm so clueless with these things that that means nothing at all to me! I will get it sorted one day.

Thanks anyway though.

It's the red thingy and the jack socket next to the coin holder that's stumped me. :scratch:

The red led just flashes when me alarm/immobiliser is on, and the jack socket is for a manual override of the alarm system. just in case I lose a key fob i guess.

If you unscrew and pull out your gauges, check that none of the wires going into the pod are touching at the connectors. If not, I would get a torch and make sure the sender is wiring correctly. when you're look at the sender (on top of the oil filter housing) the gauge wire should be connected to the left pole (marked with a G. If you can't see the sender very well, I'd swap them over and just see if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps, and if all else fails and you want to post the pod to me I'll wire it up with a few fitting instructions?

Thanks anyway though.

The red led just flashes when me alarm/immobiliser is on, and the jack socket is for a manual override of the alarm system. just in case I lose a key fob i guess.

If you unscrew and pull out your gauges, check that none of the wires going into the pod are touching at the connectors. If not, I would get a torch and make sure the sender is wiring correctly. when you're look at the sender (on top of the oil filter housing) the gauge wire should be connected to the left pole (marked with a G. If you can't see the sender very well, I'd swap them over and just see if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps, and if all else fails and you want to post the pod to me I'll wire it up with a few fitting instructions?

I'm off next week- so will have a butchers, see what the score is. If unsuccessful, I might just take you up on that.

Cheers :thumbleft:

Well today I decided to go to the BMF rally at the east of england showground, probably about 45 miles eachway, and the damn car just kept dying all the time.... guess it's time to spend some more money on it ... :brickwall:

On a lighter note, I've seen exactly me next motoring purchase.... this time next year though as wedding to pay for at the moment.

That's not good :( ISV?

Oh and what's the next purchase then??