mic_VR

mic_VR's VR - The Awakening!

That's not good :( ISV?

Oh and what's the next purchase then??

Next purchase is going to be, PCV valve which has broken and think that might be causing the stalling (breather open to atmosphere at the moment so engine losing pressure??) and some leads, oil, filters etc to give it a good service....

You'll have to wait and see what the next BIG purchase is after Christmas! :wink:

That's not good :( ISV?

Oh and what's the next purchase then??

Next purchase is going to be, PCV valve which has broken and think that might be causing the stalling (breather open to atmosphere at the moment so engine losing pressure??) and some leads, oil, filters etc to give it a good service....

You'll have to wait and see what the next BIG purchase is after Christmas! :wink:

The engine doesn't lose pressure if the PCV is split, but it will suck in more air than it's supposed to and run a bit lean. I don't think it'll cause stalling though.

The engine doesn't lose pressure if the PCV is split, but it will suck in more air than it's supposed to and run a bit lean. I don't think it'll cause stalling though.

Ah. Bum. :(

I've cleaned/checked the MAF and ISV, both appear to be working ok. And I've changed the Blue temp sensor, twice now, and still it keeps stalling on me... I'm out of ideas really...

Ah. Bum. :(

I've cleaned/checked the MAF and ISV, both appear to be working ok. And I've changed the Blue temp sensor, twice now, and still it keeps stalling on me... I'm out of ideas really...

Mic, have you got access to VAG-com? Might be worth checking if there are any active faults?

P.S. Can I borrow your Erwins?

Mic, have you got access to VAG-com? Might be worth checking if there are any active faults?

P.S. Can I borrow your Erwins?

I think Chris has got it, I might whip the car over to his one night this week... and yes you can you little devil! :lol:

I'm going to check the leads and coilpack over as well but I think if they were the problem it would show up under load rather than at idle (although while I think about it did feel pretty underpowered yesterday as well...)

I'm going to check the leads and coilpack over as well but I think if they were the problem it would show up under load rather than at idle (although while I think about it did feel pretty underpowered yesterday as well...)

Yeah, worth a check too, you've got a fair bit more juice flowing around the system when it's on full-chat, so less likely to find an iffy coilpack or lead.

Give them a check over to see if there's anything obvious and/or douse the whole freakin' lot in WD40 - it'll get any moisture out of the cracks and probably run ok.

Other give-away for electrical issues - does it only happen/get worse when it's wet/damp out? If so, it's usually cacky electrics.

Well after a busy couple of weeks I thought I'd better update my thread for what I've been doing to VR.

Firstly brakes - Replacing fronts with 288's and EBC Redstuffs, replacing rears with mk4 calipers, and fitting Goodridges all round.

Pics from Start to finish.

DSC00025-1.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

Sorry I'd already put the wheels back on :)

DSC00153.jpg

Mucho thanks go out to everyone who offered help and advice, especially Supercharged for lending me some tools and for a couple of phonecalls :notworthy:

And Secondly the cams and gearbox. HUGE thanks to Mr Toad for giving up a whole weekend to work on my car, even with his bad foot! And to Dinkus for sourcing some parts for me and letting me steal a Chain guide out of his set when we found mine had snapped.

Again, pics are kind of in order although I didn't get many shots of the engine out/cams/guides part as it was getting a little to close for comfort as to whether I was going to make it home on sunday or not! :lol:

So take a nice whole car, and just start removing stuff!

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

It's at this point that we realised that my engine wiring loom has been butchered by some cowboy and we had to remove all the wiring from the engine inorder to remove it, all good fun! :?

DSCF0062.jpg

Replacment gearbox

DSCF0055.jpg

New cams fitted and timed up ready to go!

DSCF0065.jpg

We found a nice big crack in one of the chain guides whilst doing the cams but luckily Dinkus had some emergency parts that I could steal.

Then you simply put in all back together again, Easy! :wink:

Glad to say that the gearbox is a beauty, thanks nemesis360, and the car now shifts as smooth as silk.

As for the 263 cams, it's not a night and day difference (not had a remap yet) but I'm definitely getting a wider spread of power and the car is feeling a lot more urgent in the 2500-3000rpm range. Fuel wise it's not made much difference, still getting over 30mpg and I've been driving a bit harder than usual in it... so overall extremely pleased with them :D

Unfortunately we did find a few issues that we didn't have the time/parts to fix, including a really worn tensioner guide and my chains have stretched putting the timing out just a fraction, a bit of rust on the cross member, a tiny tiny leak from the water pipe in the oil cooler, my aux water pump is shot and the serp belt had seen better days....... but thankfully most of this is easy to put right and I'll be doing some more work on it over the next few weekend.

Phew!

Looking gooooooood dude! 8)

So how much better is the stopping then?

It's amazing how much difference the 288's and Goodridges have made, highly recommend it as a mod and feeling much more confident to take it on the ring now.

I'll take you out for a spin in it as soon as you're feeling better chap!

Looking gooooooood dude! 8)

So how much better is the stopping then?

It's amazing how much difference the 288's and Goodridges have made, highly recommend it as a mod and feeling much more confident to take it on the ring now.

I'll take you out for a spin in it as soon as you're feeling better chap!

Cool, that'd be good. We'll stick VAG-com on it as well to check everything is A-OK 8)

great stuff mate, i going to try and get my brakes done this month, did you change rear discs? and did you get new bearing too on the rear?

nice to see forum members helping out :! team work :D

great stuff mate, i going to try and get my brakes done this month, did you change rear discs? and did you get new bearing too on the rear?

nice to see forum members helping out :! team work :D

Yeah all the forum members I've met have been really helpful, I try to keep it going by being helpful as well! :smug: :lol:

I didn't do the rear discs and bearings this time as I only did them a little while ago, if you're doing your rear make sure you factor in a bit of time to get the races for the rear bearings pressed in. I took it all off then couldn't get the new races in so had to put all the old stuff back on and try again another day... :sad:

for my rears i'm just getting standard corrado calipers and refurbing them, but want to fit new discs, pads and bearings at same time.

the fronts will be the same as yours i think.

do the front calipers clear the stick on wheel weights inside the rim?

Well I'm not sure what people are going to think of these but since I haven't been able to find any alloys I like I've decided to go a bit more.... old skool....

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

Originally I was going to band these, and even sent them away to get done, but having seen a set done and after conversations with the company about the trouble they were having getting them pressure tested and legalised I decided I'll run them as vw intended.

As far as I can tell they don't weigh anymore than the original speedlines and they drive fine, I'm going to put some spacers on the rears to fill the arch's a bit better but the fronts seem fine.

Honest opinions please people, :D

i bloody love steelies on a corrado 8) in fact seeing those i have decided what my winter wheels are going to be.

oh yeh are they 16's??

Yep, 16x6.5J (off a 2005 Beetle TDi) with 195/45 Goodyear Eagle F1's.

The way I figure it they'll be fine until I find some fancy wheels I like and my speedlines were losing air all the time after a few years being bashed about by various owners.

Glad you like!

I like the steelies, look good against the blue.

Might be able to have a poke around her next weekend ;)

Everything good on the car otherwise?

Next weekend eh? Coming to help do my water pump are ya? :wink:

Everything else on the car is running fine, looking forward to getting the last few things sorted ready for the Karmann trip next weekend and it'll be like a new car! :clap:

Next weekend eh? Coming to help do my water pump are ya? :wink:

I'll throw some tools in my boot, but I hope not! This weekend is the last I'm spending on corrados, I'm exhausted, and seem to be going a little bit mental. :(

Glad she's behaving, and that you're happy.

Honest opinions please people, :D

i'm going to be really honest and say i think they look naff :( the speedlines are a much nicer wheel

i think you need more mods to pull off steelies, it just looks "temporary" to me

sorry about that :(

Er, not so sure. I really like the steely on Sonicriot13's G60, but I dunno about this. I think its the black on blue, it doesn't quite look right to me. Do you have any shots of them unblacked and on the car?

Yeah but no but yeah but no.

I like them! Gives it a kind of, 'I'm up to something' look :)

Nice work on the other jobs too, you really are getting stuck in Mic! But you seem to have a hairy otter under your bonnet......