Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

VR6 Exhaust / rear axle removal.

Okay I know the which exhaust thread has been exhausted :lol:

But can anyone offer me some advice on what i should do regarding fitting. after lots of Humms and Hooos, I've decided to keep the car standard and go for the Proper VAG exhaust at lots of money from mr VeeWee dealer. I know i could get a stainless one cheaper but this is the route i intend to take.

Now the problem on my VR the mid section is joined to the rear box and you need to get it over the rear axle which will need taking apart to fit. Not very well designed mr volks. So how easy is it to remove and what additional parts like bushes shall i require.

The other option is to get the new exhaust modified and split so i dont have to remove the rear axle.

Any advice from the panel would be most helpful.

Allegedly (though the dealers don't seem to know about it) the exhaust is sold in a single piece but there is also a collar piece that allows you to cut+shut the exhaust over the rear axle.

Failing that you'll need to drop the rear axle..

Of course, in the factory, they just fitted the exhaust before they fitted the back axle. Hey presto, easy peasy .. :)

Ok, if you drop the axle make sure you disconnect the ABS sensors from under the rear seat first!

Jobs worth thinking about at the same time are rear shocks (+ top mounts / bump stops) and axle bushes (probably need a new pressure regulator with these + flexi hoses)

thanks for the comments. interesting to know about the sleeve for cut 'n' shut on the exhaust. Although I do have a very nice mate who fabricates F1 exhaust. so i think he would do something with it for a few beers.

can anybody advise how complex the removal of the axle is and how far it needs to be dropped to get the exhaust in place. (just for your info I'm an automotive engineer and do most things myself so not put off by removing the axle myself)

I used to work for VW and you dont need to drop the axle. The new exhaust comes in two sections with a sleeve to join them at the straight part just before the axle. if you look closely you will see two marks on the straight part to align the clamp and where to cut.

Riki

I used to work for VW and you dont need to drop the axle. The new exhaust comes in two sections with a sleeve to join them at the straight part just before the axle. if you look closely you will see two marks on the straight part to align the clamp and where to cut.

Riki

Riki thanks for this information, I feel a bit happier about doing it now. Make's life a bit easier not having to remove the axle. I will have a look underneath tomorrow to check where i need to cut. The car got through the MOT today so not desperate, but intend to do it in a few weeks to get it out of the way. For the MOT today i managed to patch the silencer up with some gunk from halfords and some exhaust paint. the rear box is okay it's just the entrance and exit points on the mid section.

If only everyone else who works for VW knew about this. If you go to most dealers and ask about the VR6 exhaust they'll tell you there's one part number and it's the full system, and that's that: drop the axle.

If only everyone else who works for VW knew about this. If you go to most dealers and ask about the VR6 exhaust they'll tell you there's one part number and it's the full system, and that's that: drop the axle.

...in the hope you want them to fit it for you, probably.

Riki

Riki is this the same for the long life (stainless) rear section u can get mate?

Yes as far as i can remember it should apply to both. I had a look on ekta and it doesnt list the sleeve for the corrado but the part number for a mk3 golf VR6 sleeve is 893 253 139.

It always stuck in my mind the set up on the VR6 as i remeber thinking i would have to drop the axle on the first one i did. Just have a close look at the section just befor the rear axle and you will see the bit i am talking about.

I dont have access to elsa/etos or i would post up a pic to show you. Anyone help out?