Sign in to follow this  
Matty Newquay

Wheel bearing

WHey had anyone done this themselves or does anyone know how you get the old bearing out!!

I changed the front drivers side bearing this avo on my 1992 1.8 16v and it was a right bastard!!

How do u get the old bearing out without destroying it!!!

There are 2 circa clips but u can only see 1 untill the hub has been knocked off, i say see, i mean get to!

then once u've pushed the new bearing in is there an easy way to put the hub (splined bit) back into the center????

i spent 6 hours doing it but my cars still making the same noise, so b4 i do the other one any advice would be awsome!!!

#cheers

I met someone today who'd done exactly the same thing mate! he spent 3 hours changing the passenger side bearing, and it turned out to be the driver's side one that was noisy!

doh! :)

they are confusing though, as the drone/sound travels throught the chassis/body of the car.

...How do u get the old bearing out without destroying it!!!

I believe the VW workshop manual actually states removing the old bearing destroys it.

I know a VeeDub Dealer that did the same thing to my car... Changed the wrong bearing ! Doh. Still got both front done for the price of one.

I'm changing mine soon but it makes more noise when turning left suggesting the right one has gone but upon jacking the car up it's the passenger side one thats gone!

Hopefully get access to a press next weekend to do it...

Isnt there a fair difference between changing the fronts to the rears? IE one is a right pain in the arse, the other isnt so bad

Yeah the front had the insert in it that the drive shaft fits into!

Where as the rear dosent!!

Any ideass where to get a workshop manual fron and who makes them!

Asked the local car place today and they looked for a haynes but no joy???

Look on ebay for a manual but don't expect to find a Haynes one as there weren't enough Corrados built for them to justify the expense of producing them. The only one available is the Bentley (American) one, most things are similar although the braking system is a bit different between UK and US models. Expect to pay around £75 for a paper copy or a fiver for a hooky pdf version :shock:

Yep use that Haynes book for a Golf 2 for most of the stuff at the front and then Passat for the rear, you can easily get away with just the Golf one though. I can reccomend the Bentley manual although it doesn't cover any of the 16v engines.

In my experience you'll always do the wrong side first!! Unless your totally skint just get a garage to do it, unless you have the tools its a crap job and a garage should only charge an hours labour to do it - well I guess(?) as I've always done them myself, - skint.

^^ If you're looking for a decent garage in the area you won't find better than RK Engineering in St Agnes, they're VAG and Corrado nuts and really do give an excellent service.