Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Mk3 Scirocco.

Another wierd looking one :?

image01.jpg

and these

I_prototype_bw1.jpg

I_prototype_bw2.jpg

It only took people about 15 years to realised these sort of wheels could look good on a corrado :lol:

Wonder what happens to these?

those, bottom two look like smaller, slightly dished teledials, cool.

Zippy you're fairly failing yer Porsche anorak test :roll: :lol: :lol: ....................they're more akin to Design 90's than teledials...........they look like they're Le castellets(sp?) often found on Golf Cabby's(Rivage's or Sportlines)

My god. You are a proper anorack. :)

I normaly keep my misguided opinions to myself but a liberal dose of glenmorangie has loosened my bullschit gland up.

Ah finally someone with the truth, which I have always been preaching.

Look carefully at the first picture and yee shall all see the magic Scirocco-badge, as indeed the Corrado, much to many a Corradodriver today's (who'd rather stick his/her head in the sand than to admit to this) displeasure, the current Corrado has always been planned as the Mk3 Scirocco by the design and engineering team (thos that do real work, BTW), as opposed to the marketing department (those that IMHO know sh*t about cars, let alone how to make them look good or build them), who after production costs were running away a bit (due to severe mismanagement all along the design stage - copies of the VW internal-only report detailing the disastrous development cycle of our beloved Corrado are in the possession of those who joined in on the first Karmann trip 2 years ago), decided that due to the subsequent large price gap between the then current Mk2 Rocco and the proposed Mk3 Rocco, it was thought best *sic* (this is the markeing boys after all, I'm an engineer, I'm from a totally different world in this respect, as any engineer will be able to testify) to rename the Mk3 rocco into what it's called today, the Corrado. Round of applause to the marketing boffins ... NOT!!!

Result? It still didn't sell very well ... Ah well, at least it's a lot more exclusive (purely by production numbers) than a Mk1 or Mk2 Rocco.

So there you have it. That picture has been going round the net quite a few times, but good to see it on a Corradoforum :-)

Hence I will never understand people who lift their noses to Roccos claiming that they drive a Corrado, with an air of "I drive something better" ... IMHO just a bunch of toss*rs who simply deny the facts of history (documented also in the excellent book "The Karmann Story" by Dieter Knust) like some Germans still try to deny the holocaust.

Tempest

Ah finally someone with the truth, which I have always been preaching.

Hence I will never understand people who lift their noses to Roccos claiming that they drive a Corrado, with an air of "I drive something better" ... IMHO just a bunch of toss*rs who simply deny the facts of history (documented also in the excellent book "The Karmann Story" by Dieter Knust) like some Germans still try to deny the holocaust.

Tempest

Feel beter now do you, Eric? :lol:

Only a fool would ignore the Rados roots and beleive what they are driving is a cut above a Rocco.

Blimey Eric bit of a rant there.

I would not blame the name Corrado as the sole reason the car didn't sell very well.

It is still one of the most expensive cars (not 4x4's) that VW have ever produced and was for sale during one of the largest global economic slumps since WW2.

As an owner of both the 'rocco and the 'rado both do things differently but still achieve the same result - a big grin on my face.

Yep, I miss my GT2 :( - Allthough at least I sold it to Oilman and he's loving it an looking after it!

I would not blame the name Corrado as the sole reason the car didn't sell very well.

That's also not what I said ;-). I stated that despite the name change the car still dind't sell very well, the name change due to rising production and hence sales cost, which is the real reason. The C was too expensive, or, carried the wrong badge (VW), whichever way you look at it :-)

Tempest

Was chatting to a Scirocco enthusiast this week, in my new job.. he was surprised to learn that the Corrado was actually a MK3 Scirocco and actually a 'type 53' which is the model type assigned to it by VW, and the Scirocco's prior to the Corrado.

I'm proud to call mine a MK3 Scirocco.. nothing to be ashamed about with that sort of heritage. If you can't see the styling cues from the MK1 and MK2 then you need shooting ;)

I'm proud to call mine a MK3 Scirocco.. nothing to be ashamed about with that sort of heritage. If you can't see the styling cues from the MK1 and MK2 then you need shooting ;)

The clues may be there, but so is the badge wot says 'Corrado'.

I think we all respect/champion the Sciroccos here, I certainly haven't come across the supposed snootiness that Tempest has alluded to (Bless his evangelical fervour for all things 'rocco). 8)

some of those prototypes look ugly! So glad they didn't go with those designs and made it a bit better looking.

I've always seen the corrado as the follow on model from the scirocco, vw's sports coupe.

some of those prototypes look ugly! So glad they didn't go with those designs and made it a bit better looking.

Just imagine the C without Schwebe's (Karmann chief construction engineer at the time) various inputs: Small TT-style rear spoiler rather than spanning the full width of the car :shock:

he was surprised to learn that the Corrado was actually a MK3 Scirocco and actually a 'type 53'

Send him over to me Jim, the boy clearly needs educating or I'll take the Rocco away from him :lol:

Tempest