Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Toads 16v and VR6 of doom.

The others just involve things I only feel comfortable describing to a psychiatrist .

I don't think the gentle slap of leather on leather will encourage a broken allen key out....

Spent a fair bit of today fiddling with the car, removed the passenger side rear caliper carrier and cleaned it up ready to paint, removed the brake lines from the compensator and set about cutting it up so that I can remove it. Only halfway through though. :( Still, should have the old axle off tomorrow and get the brackets cleaned up and painted, possibly even the new axle on.

Sorted out my issues with the headlamp loom not working on main beam all the time. The fuse had melted, not as in blown, but the body has melted and deformed, probably caused by some corrosion on one leg causing issues with a bad contact.

Good work mate :) Glad to hear you've got some enthusiasm going for the white beasty :)

It's a bit of a weird mix of feelings I have for it. I really want to get in and drive it, but dispair at the work I have to do. But then again, there's nice things like the magnex looking at me, and the mound of good/exciting bits I have to wedge on it.

Bit depressed about how little I actually managed to do today really. Think I'm going to rope father into helping me tomorrow for a while. Little things like the brake pressure regulator being well and truely stuck on are such a pain in the backside.

I really want to get in and drive it, but dispair at the work I have to do.

I had the same feeling today when I put mine on ramp and saw how much of a problem it would be to do a 'simple' brake fluid and hoses change. I'm not used to the problems associated with older cars :(

I ended up getting a little down about it. But thought of it another way; these aren't problems, they're just excuses for 'enhancements' :lol:

Put me in a better mood for the day anyway :D

Little things like the brake pressure regulator being well and truely stuck on are such a pain in the backside.

I had to cut/grind the heads of the bolts off mine and then use a soft hammer to bash it off the remaining studs, the ally was well and truly corroded around the bolt shaft.....

I've cut through it about halfway through and removed half of the length of the bolts but it's still stuck fast, despite being hit hard with the encouragement stick. Now trying to cut roughly down the side of the bolts, but the air hacksaw is very slow at cutting through the piston etc.

Keep focusing on how good it will be when it is done Tom.

it's not easy getting through all the little hurdles that a project can throw up.There is always a way though to get these things done though.Sometimes the little jobs can just take as long as they take.

I've lost whole weekends to things that I thought would take an hour.It's tuff to stay motivated sometimes.

The bias valve continued to be awkward today until it was cut into about 6 pieces, when it gave up. Wish I'd just bought a new bracket and launched the old one with the bias valve.

Got the rear beam off, caliper carriers cleaned and painted. Axle brackets are cleaned and painted and the passenger side one needs refitting cleaned the holes for the ABS sensor wires in the floor and threw paint over them as there was rust forming. Attached calipers to brake lines on new rear beam, just need the carriers to finish drying and I can fit them properly. Removed the little brake line from bias valve to rear axle, cleaned and painted it, also cleaned and prepped the one running between from the bias valve to the driver side.

Was surprised by how well the brake lines have held up.

Also was surprised by the amount of oil left on the underside after an oil leak when I first got the car.

Still miles behind though, was hoping to have the car back on 4 wheels tonight. :(

Awesome updates Tom! The rear beam can be such a bítch :mad2:

Any chances of some pics? Of the car preferably...

Good work dude :salute: nice to hear both your beasts are getting some tlc rather than you running round helping everyone else for a change.

Wish I was still around to give you a hand :-( I havent gotten dirty (car dirty) in ages... And the fine new paint job on mine is gathering dust in the underground car park at work.

Awesome updates Tom! The rear beam can be such a bítch :mad2:

Any chances of some pics? Of the car preferably...

I need to take some pics, just haven't had a chance.

Rear beam is partly in place. it's a bit tight between the brackets though :( Need to fiddle with it a bit more.

Good work dude :salute: nice to hear both your beasts are getting some tlc rather than you running round helping everyone else for a change.

Wish I was still around to give you a hand :-( I havent gotten dirty (car dirty) in ages... And the fine new paint job on mine is gathering dust in the underground car park at work.

:(

Keep meaning to ring you to see how things are going. Nice to be making a bit of progress. Just booked the first week of July off for a concerted effort on it.

Sunday, I'll be in Wiltshire. Might pop in if you're lucky! :grin:

:clap: Do it....

Give me a shout and let me know roughly what time you might turn up. :)

Will do matey, it'll probably be mid morning as we'll be travelling back from North Tidworth.

First week of July eh... I "should be" back on one the weekends either side of that to collect a new toy... :D may well take an extra day or Two and come help you tinker at your folks place if thats cool?

Just spoke to Rich too and he is getting his "Pinkness" tuned that week as well so if all goes well we can laugh at him when it blows up on the dyno :lol:

First week of July eh... I "should be" back on one the weekends either side of that to collect a new toy... :D may well take an extra day or Two and come help you tinker at your folks place if thats cool?

Just spoke to Rich too and he is getting his "Pinkness" tuned that week as well so if all goes well we can laugh at him when it blows up on the dyno :lol:

Excellent... What you picking up??

Will be good to see the beast when it's tuned. Either that or Rich sobbing quietly. :lol: Good luck to him, as I want a ride... :)

You can ride Rich and make him sob quietly anytime you like dude I told you that went I moved away and signed him over to you :lol:

the new toy is one of these.... http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-12KV/index.html

won it on ebay recently and idealy I want the excuse to take the 60 for a road trip back to the UK with its new speed camera proof Dutch license plates :lol:

But it kind of all depends on it passing the Dutch RDW test (MOT) and me sorting insurance etc... So if its not sorted by the end of the month I will just hire something and come get it, will take a few days off to catch up with everyone and ensure a day of car perving at your place of course

They look good dude, have you still got the set you used to have when you were here? Or is this a bit of an upgrade?

Is she all booked in for the test? will be interesting to see how it gets on. Good luck!

Got the rear axle on finally. Need to sort rear brakes, handbrake cables etc, but, I dropped it back on some wheels and jacked and blocked the front end up tonight ready to remove the front subframe, steering rack etc and replace with the shinier newer ones. :)

Sadly not. Not taken any recently. Should have gotten some of it with no rear axle, but I just wanted to get on with it at the time. Shame really.

Sadly not. Not taken any recently. Should have gotten some of it with no rear axle, but I just wanted to get on with it at the time. Shame really.

so have you got the rear beam on now then darling?

oh by he way - forgot to mention when you picked it up, the nearside bearing was all good, but the offside (think it was that way round...) had a tiny bit of play and needed adjusting. they are new bearings anyway and i did let you have them and the discs for the correct price! :D

oh and - WE NEED PICS!!!

take care pal

:)

Tom, I've got a 2nd hand starter motor you can have if you still need one? Not sure what it is like though. Or did you want new?

btw, my beam is really tight on the brackets too so there's no problem there. I jacked mine into position either side, and then used a bar to "pry" it down vertically if it went too high, worked quite well.

I still haven't preloaded mine though, it's just sat with the bolts through and hanging from the suspension at the other end. I must pretension it up soon.