Sign in to follow this  
M15 VW

GOLF + April 2007

Page 9 "The Mass Debate"

"LADIES: Are girls really interested in the watercooled VW world, or are they only onboard to look good attached to the arm of the bloke that (probably?!) built their car for them? We've had a barrage of emails suggesting young ladies only go along to car shows because their caveman boyfirends drag them there. We disagree, do you? Let us know via our email addy: mailto:[email protected]"

Discuss

(Needless to say I sent them a very long email with my views)

I don't know why you bothered to write them a long letter.

"You're a tw&t and Steve Kirk never used to write rubbish like that" would probably have done the job nicely :D

If they want the mass debate question that's on everyone's lips they should try "Why isn't 'The Golf'' any good any more ? LOL

I used to have to drag my girlfriend along to the shows but now she really enjoys them, she was annoyed that we couldn't go to UD on sunday, I have just bought a MK1 Golf which she'll be driving, but I know I'll be doing the building/repairs/up-keep/mod's on it - but whats wrong with that? She wouldnt have a clue where to start. I like to see girls around at the shows, :norty: but most of them are probably there due to being taken, not wishing to go or going off their own steam, but obviously there are many exceptions to this.

I dont think Golf+ has been the same since the new editor took over last year, shame, but I still prefer it to PVW.

If they want the mass debate question that's on everyone's lips they should try "Why isn't 'The Golf'' any good any more ? LOL

agree there, waste of £4. havent bought one in ages, just full of Sh*te. read them for free when im down at gwerks anyway! :oops:

Also agree - I still have the Golf mags and PVW from issue 1 and if you were to read them all you'd agree that the quality of the content has declined to the point where I haven't bought either for at least 2 years with the exception of this month's PVW - and that was only to feast my eyes on OSV's ex ride - that was worth buying.

Is this sad, I was in France last month and picked up a copy of their VW mag, and I cant read French?? I just wanted to look at the French trends, problem is its filled with VW's from Germany and Holland and thats it!! - including a very serious HGP twin turbo VR! :twisted:

I haven't bought either for at least 2 years with the exception of this month's PVW - and that was only to feast my eyes on OSV's ex ride - that was worth buying.

I must agree Bill the last time I bought PVW must have been at least two years ago :!:

There just doesn`t seem to be the content to interest me any more apart from the aforementioned Silver Corrado :lol: :lol:

That was the only reason I bought it.

As for Golf+ I have never bought it :!: :!:

Not a fan of VW mags then Kev? :lol:

LOL, I used to be in the 90s, but not anymore :lol:

I'm too much of an old skool fool 8)

I did have a flick through PVW yesterday to see OSV's Corrado though, and that was the only thing worth reading.

I moved on from VWs that look nice to VWs that drive nice a long time ago. I like the dirty, oily bits being dirty and oily like they should be, chrome has it's place, but for me it's not on a VW and that's all the mags seem to be focusing on these days, the bling factor.

that's all the mags seem to be focusing on these days, the bling factor.

I agree Kev, but unfortunately a lot of the people buying those mags are only interested with what it looks like!

I stopped buying The Golf about 3 years ago and have only bought a couple of PVW in the last two years!

Do you have a copy of the email you can post up, Nikki?

I don't buy either mag anymore and haven't for a couple of years, mainly because the level of journalism has taken a steep nose-dive in to the realms of Max Power Noddy writing. May I use a quote I'll probably never forget after reading an article from PVW : "Lower than your nan's tits" :roll:

Yeah that /\ kind of stupid comment sums up everything I hate about Chavvy magazines like Lax Power and Golf+. It's the sort of comment a minging, Stella Shandy drinking, burberry cap wearing bloke would say to look cool in front of his mates.....but everyone else thinks he's a c0ck!

To be fair to Golf+, it's not totally thier fault the magazine has gone downmarket. It's mostly ours - we didn't buy it enough...

PVW began chasing the MaxPower type readership and "The Golf" (as it was then) began to lose readership - fast. Even now PVW still outsells Golf+ 4:1. Anyway they had no choice except to change thier editorial style to cater for the new audience requirements (read : "bling motors") and try to grab back some of the circulation they'd lost to PVW.

Mind you (and I'm sure Bill has much stronger feelings about this than I have) when you see some of the chavs who increasingly attend VW shows it's not surprising that "The Golf" lost readership... a lot of them couldn't string a whole sentence together, let alone read a tech article in "The Golf"

At least I have Practical Performance Car to keep me company these days :D - it's well worth checking out if you haven't read one before.

Mind you (and I'm sure Bill has much stronger feelings about this than I have) when you see some of the chavs who increasingly attend VW shows

Hope you're not implying I have anything against chavs, or any other like-minded individuals John Lol!

I'm new to these mags, having bought PVW a handful of times. I had a 'browse' last month and it had Audi's all over it. Ok, Audi/VAG and all that, but for me VW is VW, not Audi. It would be good to see a few more of the cars from this site in it though, there's certainly a few worthy contenders. Let's keep the fat lads with their wacky Mayan ear-piercings to a minimum.

PVW = Everytime I've picked it up, it seems to be full of stuff from America?! Cars, shows, etc. British and European cars seem to be an after thought to sell the mag over here.

Golf+ = Think the debate over female dubbers belongs in the 70's. What happened to the 'How To' sections, products rated and slated, (too scared to upset the advertisers), proper journalists who are enthusiasts. Instead of the usual long list of what the car has had done or listing of the bits on it. I want the story not a puffed-up invoice listing!

The Editor of The Golf Dunt even drive a VW!!!

That's bloody terrible! - I hope he at least drives a VAG!

PVW is a different story though, i cant remember if it was the editor or someone else to do with the mag but he owns a number of VW's and has just picked up probably the most mint mk1 ever, as seen in this (or last cant remember) months PVW.

PVW is a different story though, i cant remember if it was the editor or someone else to do with the mag but he owns a number of VW's and has just picked up probably the most mint mk1 ever, as seen in this (or last cant remember) months PVW.

indeed