Sign in to follow this  
A-J

No Pagid FR!

I ordered a set of Pagid fast road pads from GSF as they impressed me on the Golf. 2 weeks later when I phoned to ask where they were I was told they can't get them now. Does anybody know of another source or a similar pad for a commuting C?

I have a set of brand new ATE pads for the standard VR6 brakes if you want them?? I ordered 2 sets by mistake.

£20 delivered?

Yeah, annoying isn't it - don't buy the replacement 'Mintex Extreme', there are a number of us having problems with these at the moment and they cannot be used with VW discs (something I wasn't told when I bought them!

I think Ferodo DS2500 is the pad of choice for reasonable fast road price...

Yeah, thought I'd read some correspondance on this a short while ago and think Greenstuff is the one suggested as closest match to the Pagid. Aparently they have recently(?) improved their pad.

herisites - that would have been great but I need them for a 16v.

Cheers for the warning about the mintex as I was offered them or greenstuff as a replacement. I'll give the greenstuff a try then.

Cheers

Strange - I was just examining my brake pads earlier while washing the C and thinking I'm gonna need some new rear ones soon.

I've got Pagid FR's on mine at the moment, but will probably give the Green Stuff's a crack next time - the old ones were apparently a little 'interesting' first thing in the morning, but I've heard good things about the new ones.

According to SteveMac at GSF, Pagid and Mintex have merged (who took over whom is irrelevant), and as such their combinmed product range adjusted: The Pagid FRs were dropped (shaem), the Mintex Extreme are to take their place, but they are soooooo crap, that GSF have stopped doing them!!! Instead Steve advised me to use EBC Greenstuff, as they now have improved their product range.

Managed to get the last set of Pagids off Steve some time ago for my Mk2 Rocco.

Tempest

I've just fitted new brakes and used pagid FR and am loving them now they've bedded in.. am yet to get them to fade. I'm annoyed that they've ditched them.

The problem with greenstuff is that you never know whether you've got old stock on your car until it's too late. I'm sure that their new stuff is ok but I'd be staying away incase I get old stock.

last 2 sets of greenstuff i had failed soon after fitting, the 1st set went all crumbly and fell to pieces which i luckily noticed when i had a puncture and found particles of the pad around the inside of the wheel and with the second set one of the pads de-laminated leaving me with almost no brakes as the friction material came away from its backing while i was braking.

i have recently driven a corrado with black diamond disks and pads and was very impressed by it.

was there a known problem with earlier greenstuff pads?

Yeah they were cr@p!

They've been bought out by another company and they are massively improved. So much so I am using Yellow stuff track pads in my AP Racing calipers, that's how much confidence I have in the brand as normally I wouldn't go within 10 feet of stuff that happened to be green. Or red or yellow for that matter.

Look for "Greenstuff v4" and you'll be OK. Avoid Reg 90 pads if you can. They're schitt OE spec compounds with limited friction coeffecients...... Nannying in other words :roll:

the second set one of the pads de-laminated leaving me with almost no brakes as the friction material came away from its backing while i was braking.

This happend to be on sunday was getting all sorts of vibrations doing 60mph pulled into a layby and saw the pad come out of the caliper and rubbing on the hub

Think i am going black diamond nxt but does anyone know if you have to run them with there own brand disc's as i have brembo grooved atm.

I've got 16v new pads off GSF, just bedded in. Only want them to keep me going until end of April. If you can wait, you're welcome to them at the cost of postage.

As for other brands, obviously EBC Greenstuff get a mention. Still worth the typical asking price of £40 for a front set. A few places sell them on the net. Just make sure that they are 16v ones (16mm thick) and not G60 (19mm), the minor difference being that the G60 ones are much thicker and will not fit in your 16v.

I forgot to check back on this thread. I ordered a set of EBCs in the end that should be here shortly. Hopefully they'll be up there with the Pagid but at the least should be better than whatever's on just now.