Sign in to follow this  
VR6Will

My thoughts on the Schrick Manifold

Reading this thread has concerned me a little. I've been on the look out for a Schrick or VSR for a while now, I prefer the idea of the VSR but have to be realistic about the chances of finding one!

My issue is this though; when I fitted the climate conrol I had to move the rad back to accomodate the rather large Passat condenser. I'm left with about 12mm gap between the inlet manifold and the fan in one place, in fact I also fitted a VT front mount to prevent too much engine rock as it looked dangerously close reving the motor even when parked. If the Schrick comes closer to the fans normally I could have a real headache, is it the same with a VSR? If not I'll be saving more and waiting for ever for one coming up on Ebay!

There's nothing to worry about. This guy fitted it to a MK2 Golf and on an engine with increased compression ratio. It is not indicative of VGIs at all and you should disregard it.

Why do you want a VSR? They're not as good as VGIs and stupidly over priced imo. They only thing they have over a VGI is easier sparkplug maintanence and plainer looks.

Best thing you can do about the fans is dump the stupid OE ones and fit a pair of slimline fans, or you could an American VR6 manifold which is basically the same as the 24v's variable intake, but for a 12V.

Plenty of choices.....

or you could an American VR6 manifold which is basically the same as the 24v's variable intake, but for a 12V.

Plenty of choices.....

Tell me more!

imo the entire character of the engine changes with a shrek, as well as the performance. Something is definately way out if you can't tell it's on there mate.

It's just so different to drive with the shrek on - gear change points, what part of the rev range you use, etc, etc. It becomes much lazier to drive if you're that way inclined. Mine is still not properly mapped but it made a huge difference having the shrek fitted. For shizzle.

Get it mapped pronto, and then come back and tell us what you think dude :)

There's nothing to worry about. This guy fitted it to a MK2 Golf and on an engine with increased compression ratio. It is not indicative of VGIs at all and you should disregard it.

Why do you want a VSR? They're not as good as VGIs and stupidly over priced imo. They only thing they have over a VGI is easier sparkplug maintanence and plainer looks.

Best thing you can do about the fans is dump the stupid OE ones and fit a pair of slimline fans, or you could an American VR6 manifold which is basically the same as the 24v's variable intake, but for a 12V.

Plenty of choices.....

Thanks for that, even more options to consider!

Dr Mat is spot on.....

You have increased the compression ratio half a point with the 1mm gasket and not mapped the engine for the Schrick and wonder why it's feeling no different - it's pinking it's bollox off!!! :lol:

As for it not fitting properly, that's all down to your install. They fit perfectly in MK3 Golfs and Corrados. We don't have to touch the fans.

Everyone has noticed a big difference in bottom end torque with a VGI, and not all of us can be wrong.....

I know the fact of it fouling the fans is due to it being in a mk2, there's nothing wrong with my install, the point i was trying to get across is its not a direct replacement of the standard manifold, forgot to mention i am also using slimline fans

Im not saying everyone is wrong at all! This is purely my opinion of the schrick manifold on my engine, did everyone else already have 214lbft of torque before they installed their schrick?

imo the entire character of the engine changes with a shrek, as well as the performance. Something is definately way out if you can't tell it's on there mate.

It's just so different to drive with the shrek on - gear change points, what part of the rev range you use, etc, etc. It becomes much lazier to drive if you're that way inclined. Mine is still not properly mapped but it made a huge difference having the shrek fitted. For shizzle.

Get it mapped pronto, and then come back and tell us what you think dude :)

Afriad not in this case, i wont be getting it mapped as it was purely an experiment of seeing the before and after, the schrick wont be staying on as it isn't mine, i do understand that a remap would help, but bang for buck this mod would be a thumbs down from me

for the cost of a schrick + remap i would rather install a 24v!

has no-one else had problems with eibach strut brace?

From a passengers point of view at lunchtime, (and regularly being in the car) I couldnt say that I noticed any difference to be honest. Maybe there is an issue somewhere - perhaps the flap isnt being moved inside, although it appears to be from the actuating rod

The flaps can and do bind open or shut...... I know on the group buy I got mine from, Vince had to fix a few of the 12 or so.

214lb/ft and 197hp...... and it's just a 2.9 with OBD2 conversion? That's impressive torque. First time I've seen a standard N/A VR with more torque than power aswell.

Install a 24v for the cost of a shrek and a remap? How's that then? Free engine or something?

i just sold a 2.8 24v for £700. that's LESS than shreks go for.

PhatVR6, it's the later stages of a mid life crisis... 1 being building a VR turbo, 2 being blowing a new engine and 3 - getting bored of people moaning about mods you did 3 years ago and not letting on until later in the thread that the engine is running increased CR!... :lol:

Seriously tho I think this thread is pointless and maybe worrying buyers from the recent group buy for no reason - these manifolds make a huge difference to torque and imo make the VR6 the engine it should have been as VW wanted before the accountants stepped in.

Install a 24v for the cost of a shrek and a remap? How's that then? Free engine or something?

Yes, and what about the 1500/2000 to fit it? I believe he used the word 'install', which implies fitted to me. If anyone can get a 24v fsupplied and fitted for less than a shrek and remap, i'd be amazed.

The flaps can and do bind open or shut...... I know on the group buy I got mine from, Vince had to fix a few of the 12 or so.

214lb/ft and 197hp...... and it's just a 2.9 with OBD2 conversion? That's impressive torque. First time I've seen a standard N/A VR with more torque than power aswell.

This is what ChrisP and I are now thinking, maybe the flap isn't closing fully?

Yes, 2.9 obd2, mk4 metal head gasket, bmc, and jetex exhaust, made 197bhp and 214lbft at stealth a few months back, i'll post up the graphs when im home from work.

there you go, obviously it depends on your mechanical knowledge and willingness to give it a go yourself, but my vr6 was fitted in my mk2 by myself and mates (chrisp being one of them)

Seriously tho I think this thread is pointless and maybe worrying buyers from the recent group buy for no reason - these manifolds make a huge difference to torque and imo make the VR6 the engine it should have been as VW wanted before the accountants stepped in.

Not trying to put people off buying these, the main reason i wanted to try one was becuase of so many people having good experiences with them! its just unfortunate my experience hasnt been good - yet!

Thats interesting to know - time to open it up and see whats happening then Will

Thats a touch harsh isnt it? Someone writing about their personal experience of something shouldnt mean that others should be worried for that reason alone. With anything S/H that hasnt been seen or used before, it can happen that the experience isnt all positive

Yes, and what about the 1500/2000 to fit it? I believe he used the word 'install', which implies fitted to me. If anyone can get a 24v fsupplied and fitted for less than a shrek and remap, i'd be amazed.[/quote:4bfb6]

there is the option to fit it yourself you know......that costs nothing. in fact, my 3.2 swap in my mk4 currently owes me -£200 (as in, I sold the 2.8 for more than I bought the 3,2 for)

Yes i do realise that. but i for one aint got the knowledge to do that, so fitting cost is very relevant.

Anyway, i'm not trying to start an argument or nowt, just opinions.

After reading through Kev's turbo pages i'm now pretty much sold on getting rid of the shrek/cams and getting a turbo to be honest mate! :)

Sorry, my mistake, engine made 196bhp (not 197bhp like i said) and 214lbft couple of months ago at Stealth

i will be running again at stealth at the end of april fro a ClubGTi rolling road day, unfortunately i'll have a set of 268cams in there too so wont be to see the comparison of before and after just with the schrick.

NB. The following graphs are WITHOUT the schrick

Well depending on when you do id be interested in first refusal...

Me mate? The shrek? Nay problem.

When you comin to rape the blue car then bud?

That is good torque, but bad power (by comparison) .. I would go as far as to say that you are probably suffering from pinking at the top end too ..

Me mate? The shrek? Nay problem.

When you comin to rape the blue car then bud?

Yes you, ill talk to you about that when i see you...

The sooner the better for the spares, Tuesday, Thursday or the Weekend, your call but id be quite happy to come tomorrow...

Get a price in mind for that manifold as well....