Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Bet the labels on tins in his kitchen all piont outwards too

Just.. as a side note.. I couldn't help but notice in the background of one of the pictures of the detail in the garage, a few big bottles of spring water, as in the sort you stick into a water cooler in your office. You don't suppose he uses that instead of mere tap water do you?!

Jim out my head! Yes it's big and spacious in there.....

Also the copious "lads mags" covers and hoofin great Zymol logo on his door...

I was expecting to see the garage kitted with a Radiator/deep pile carpets and a complete clean room set up...(air locks/filtration etc)...and soothing music, soft lighting/ candles for him to get the Astra "in the mood" :rofl:

in the Astra VXRs defence it beat the Mk5 GTI, mK4 R32, round the test track on top gear. However the less powerful megane beat it. The VXR has 240BHP, but its front wheel drive! I wonder how the new R32 and Cupra would compare? but at the end of the day its a vauxhaul and the retrim is not that good.

what did it cost? £5k or something i'm told

to get a car to showroom finish, when its only just come out of showroom

he should just let vaux unload it and valet it like they would of anyway, to fix any transit damage.

its very anal, no one really cares but the internet, probably why he did it, valeting is so popular on the net nowadays he just wanted to have the biggest boast imo

have you seen the interiors of the astra vxr? awful and cheap, its like a £60 goodmans hifi in the dash, no doubt the performance is a bit better than a car designed 12+ yrs ago, not sure it has much style

Just.. as a side note.. I couldn't help but notice in the background of one of the pictures of the detail in the garage, a few big bottles of spring water, as in the sort you stick into a water cooler in your office. You don't suppose he uses that instead of mere tap water do you?!

WASH

Next using zymol autowash and a natural sea sponge i used the 2 bucket method to wash the car before spraying off and pouring 100 litres of zero ppm r.o water over it...

Is that the Evian going over the car?

Saw this on VZi the other day too.

I agree that it's great what he's done, and i know what what a mission it is prepare a car for concours.

I just cant help thinking that its only an Astra every time i see it.

Have to admire the time and effort that's gone into it, but what's he going to do when it rains or if someone accidently sprinkles bird food all over it? :evil:

Is he sponsored by Zymol?

Also loved the post a bit further on from a Corsa owner, "its only an Astra FFS".

Erm, Corsa, kettle, pot..........!

The Vectra and Monaro are the only VXRs worth bothering with imo....

The detailing (I hate that stupid word) is a bit extreme, but I've known people to take engines out of brand new cars and put bigger ones in immediately after delivery.....but that's OK in my book 8)

Making a car look that perfect is a waste of time in this country unless you have a Fort Knox to keep it in over night and armed gaurds.

The Vectra and Monaro are the only VXRs worth bothering with imo....

Monaro yes, vectra :| it cant go round a corner!

I just dont like vauxhalls full stop really with the exception of the monaro, because they just look tacky and cheap, the dealers are desperate (my mate went in once just to ask about the new tigra and recieved phone calls/answer phone messages and junk mail for months afterwards!!) and the sodding corsa advert C'MON!! :mad: :lol:

I think we should burn Jim at the stake for being a heretic :lol:

The comments about it being 'just an Astra' also apply to any hot-hatch. They're mildly interesting, but nothing that warrants £10k on cleaning. At most, you'll get people saying "ooh that's clean" at a show... then move on and look at something else. If it wasn't that clean then it would hardly even get noticed.

If it was rare exotica and/or new Ferrari/Zonda/Veyron, et al, then sure £10k on cleaning it is probably more worth it. Especially as you'll want a decent layer of wax on the car to protect the paint from everyone's drool :lol:

At the end of the day - if that guy wants to spend stupid money on having the world's cleanest Astra, then fine. I'd like my car to look that clean, but only if it involved no more than an hour of effort and cost under £100 :lol:

If I had £10k to spend on my car it certainly wouldn't be getting spend on wax tho...

Monaro yes, vectra :| it cant go round a corner!

Actually, the Vectra VXR is very good round corners and it has an absolute peach of an engine......V6 turbo 8) Smooth as Ben & Jerry's Vaniall Ice cream and punchy as heck. For a Vauxhall, it's a damn good car. Just lacks in a bit of steering feel and has a rubbery gearshift, but they're common Vauxhall traits.

I just dont like vauxhalls full stop because they just look tacky and cheap

That's why I don't like the Astra VXR. The VXR branding is unashamedly aimed at a certain kind of customer. Look at the Audi S3 and Golf GTI....understated excellence in almost every area by comparison.

That's why I don't like the Astra VXR. The VXR branding is unashamedly aimed at a certain kind of customer. Look at the Audi S3 and Golf GTI....understated excellence in almost every area by comparison.

Yeah chavs imo, i totally 100% agree about the golf and s3 and in fact all the VAG range, they totally outclass the vauxhalls in every way. Even the focus asbo is less chav than the astra!

I think it was just Clarkson's hate for vectra then that made it out to be a shed round corners, it understeered like a b!tch!

Best mates got an old Vuaxhal Cavalier, in white, which looks like a complete Taxi. For which he gets constant stick.

BUT, it starts first time in all weathers, fits all his family in, with shopping, and cost him sweet FA to buy and run. So far in 2 years of ownership its needed two new tyres.

Unlike my G60, (which has sprung a leak again), which is in a constant state of sat on the drive waiting to be fixed/part to arrive, or to be taken to garage.

Not sure who's getting the last laugh?! :?

I don't see your point Jay :-/

does he spend 10k a clean too? :D

imo! only a moron would spend 7k on a few tubs of wax.

nah, a genius would pay that!

and then get morons to pay for him to use it!

Even the focus asbo is less chav than the astra!

Less the Dodgey Viper stripes and orange paint of course ;-) I think the Focus RS rims ming aswell..... Ford could have chosen some nicer ones!! They just look like a hideously bad copy of a Lambo Murciealago wheel!

Preferred the old Skool Focus RS myself looks wise, but the new RS has the better engine 8)

I think it was just Clarkson's hate for vectra then that made it out to be a shed round corners, it understeered like a b!tch!

Yep, I remember his hatred of the Vectra.... he just doesn't like mainstream euro boxes full stop! I can't remember which of his DVDs has this on it, but he pushed a few identical cardboard boxes on wheels into the shot and said "Here's the new Toyota Avensis", "and here's the new Vectra"....etc

PMSL :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I would only ever consider a Monaro if I defected to Vauxhall, but if faced with the choice of sticking wasps up my arse or buying a non-Monaro VXR, I'd choose the Vectra!

I believe there's a Chav's delight Corsa VXR coming out this year...... god help us :roll:

I believe there's a Chav's delight Corsa VXR coming out this year...... god help us :roll:

Yep chavtastic! I dred to think what the fcuking tv add is going to be for that! :lol:

Thing is that i dont get is vauxhall (and some other car manufacturers) are making their new cars already chavvy to appeal to the chavs more so they put big bling rims on, tacky plastic add on all over the body and funky interiors but it all gets ripped out/off anyway!!

imo! only a moron would spend 7k on a few tubs of wax.

nah, a genius would pay that!

and then get morons to pay for him to use it!

Exactly my thoughts!! I wouldnt spend that much to put on my car, gimme some £15 collinite anyday! But if someone said here's £7k i want that wax on my car then i wouldnt say no :lol: plus i believe that you get free refills for life with that £7k wax so would work out ok really if you are a pro like Paul Dalton who gets paid loads to clean supercars on a daily basis!!

I dont see what the problem is, thats some seriously impressive cleaning regardless of what the car is underneath it all.

If it was a brand new VAG car would it recieve the same negative comments?

Fair play to him, leave him at it if thats what he wants to do, sure it may "only be an astra" to some of the people on here but dont loose sight of the fact that to a lot of other people in the world a corrado is only a corrado too.

Taking the type/make of car out of the equation, what an absolute stunning job has been done, and fair play to the skill involved.

But....

Wouldn't it have been far more skillful to start with a car that wasn't new, maybe 10+ years old and achieve the same results??

Seems to me that the bloke has just spent a schitt load of money for detailing that only he will appreciate on a day-to-day basis. Rediculously anal on a new car, no matter what make/type it is!

and its his money so who else does he need to please?

if i buy wheels say - i buy them because i like them - i don't give a monkeys if anyone else does or not

its way more than any sensible person should spend - but at the end of the day - its his money so he can do what he wants with it - and has!

Wouldn't it have been far more skillful to start with a car that wasn't new, maybe 10+ years old and achieve the same results??

!

thats what i don't get, its a brand new car to start with :lol:

if it was a mk1 astra i'd be impressed and appreciate it alot more,

but i don't think the results have "improved" that car more than say jedi-knight from here could of done for a tenth of the cost.

its like dusting a tv the same day you get it out of box