Sign in to follow this  
VR6Will

Fitted 268cams

After my episode with the Schrick inlet manifold, i thought i'd give you my lastest installment, this time with 268 cams

So the other week i fitted some 268 cams to my vr6, not Schrick cams, but Dougherty Racing ones,

These are absolutely awesome! I think vr6's should have left the factory with these cams!

The lift and duration of the Dougherty Racing cams is identical to the Schrick cams, and like Schricks are not regrinds! Now for the best bit: they only cost me £150 to my door! compared to the £550+ for Schrick cams!

Fitted the cams along with some new tappets and the engine is nice and quiet again and still silky smooth on idle. Where the power tailed off with the standard cams at about 5k, the 268s scream to the red line! We'll see how much difference they have made to bhp/lbft next Sunday when the car will be on Stealths rollers again.

After my episode with the Schrick inlet manifold, i thought i'd give you my lastest installment, this time with 268 cams

So the other week i fitted some 268 cams to my vr6, not Schrick cams, but Dougherty Racing ones,

These are absolutely awesome! I think vr6's should have left the factory with these cams!

The lift and duration of the Dougherty Racing cams is identical to the Schrick cams, and like Schricks are not regrinds! Now for the best bit: they only cost me £150 to my door! compared to the £550+ for Schrick cams!

Fitted the cams along with some new tappets and the engine is nice and quiet again and still silky smooth on idle. Where the power tailed off with the standard cams at about 5k, the 268s scream to the red line! We'll see how much difference they have made to bhp/lbft next Sunday when the car will be on Stealths rollers again.

i had exactly the same experiance with mine mate its just a shame they didnt like 12 psi lol

what is entailed in changing the cams in a VR6? I went to a local mechanic and he basically told me if I was going to do that i should do the chains and everything that goes along with it and was quoting £1000. so needless to say i didnt bother going down the cam route though i would love to

corrado and golf cams are the same!

my chains/guides/tensioners etc had already been done, so didnt need to do them all again, just needed to take inlet manifold off, cam cover off and side engine cover, undo the cam sprockets, took old cams out, put new cams and all back together! took about an hour or so....

j16jrf Any mechanic should be able to do the cams alone for a few hours labour max. Only mess with the chains if they are noisey or the signs are that the top tensioner is worn when the rocker cover comes off!

VR6Will, have you taken the manifold off now - seem to remember that was a temporary thing? ie. are you just running these on they're own?

well, i did run the cams with the schrick manifold, and still wasnt impressed at all with it, i've since taken it off.

....Now for the best bit: they only cost me £150 to my door! compared to the £550+ for Schrick cams! ....

I am amazed you got them for this price, mate. Were yours brand new? I know they are considerably cheaper than the Schrick ones, but when I got mine only about 5 months ago, I know they were more like double that delivered (when you include import tax etc) and the exchange rate has not moved much at all since then. I reckon anyone else will stuggle to get them for this price.

I am also surprised you say that you did not think they worked well with the Schrick. Experience on here has shown that the manifold should improve your torque low down up to about 3,500 rpm when the cams start to take over. Overall, you should have had a noticeably more responsive and powerful engine right through the rev range. The effect of the cams will be more pronounced without the Schrick on there. Incidentally, my VW VSR is staying on even though a 'charger is being fitted.

However, my Dougherty 268s are coming out now, as Vince is fitting my 'charger. So these are going up for sale.

yup, brand spanking new, were brought back in a suitcase of a friend that was out there on business so didnt have to pay delivery outside US and no import tax.

wont go into details about the schrick manifold - that can be found in another thread.

DRC cams are the biz. He has done a few grinds for Porsches and VW's. If I knew about him years ago, I'd have them instead of CATs. Very good deal for the UK massive w/ the exchange being 2:1 He has also done the first true mkiv vr6 cams that have runner compensation built into the grinds.

The lift and duration of the Dougherty Racing cams is identical to the Schrick cams, and like Schricks are not regrinds!

No they are not. Schricks are ground from new billets.

I found 268s to be one of the most over rated mods for the VR6 ever.

The lift and duration of the Dougherty Racing cams is identical to the Schrick cams, and like Schricks are not regrinds!

more than a K&N? :shock:

All they do is shift the torque curve further up and extend the upper revs a little, they rarely give more than 10-12hp on the dyno on their own. It's the moving of the power band that gives the illusion of masses more acceleration.

Behaves more like a 16V.

As a package (VGI, cams, throttle, decat) they work quite well....but on their own....no ta.

No they are not what? both are 268deg, both are 11.4mm lift and both 115deg separation,

Your opinion on 268s alone, thats fine, my opinion is the vr6 should have left the factory with them, we'll see exactly what difference they have made to my car on Sunday, they will be the only mod since last rolling road.

No they are not what? both are 268deg, both are 11.4mm lift and both 115deg separation,

Your opinion on 268s alone, thats fine, my opinion is the vr6 should have left the factory with them, we'll see exactly what difference they have made to my car on Sunday, they will be the only mod since last rolling road.

I think your punctuation confuses cheesey. This is where the commas should be.

The lift and duration of the Dougherty Racing cams is identical to the Schrick cams and, like Schricks, are not regrinds!

Cheesewire may be the only person on Earth that doesnt like the Schricks. I have been in a car with them and the powerband is completely different from stock. With a VGI, they are utterly sick. They are the original grind that preserves low end torque and extend the powerband. Any car that can run low 14 second 1/4 miles or better yet 12's in the case of Anthony Dowd's lightened ITB equipped car, shows what you can do with those cams. If you had issues w/ them, I suspect compression or sensor issues. The fastest all motor vr's are all running them. VW owners are nothing if not frugal, so if they werent worth the quid, they wouldnt be so popular.

I think your punctuation confuses cheesey. This is where the commas should be.

The lift and duration of the Dougherty Racing cams is identical to the Schrick cams and, like Schricks, are not regrinds!

appologies for that then,