Sign in to follow this  
TrentSC

Cleaning the headlining

Having recently had a brief (and unsuccessful) fight with the sunroof, my headlining now has a bunch of oily smudges, and as it's already pretty grubby, I thought this might be a good time to look at getting it nice and clean.

I'll be attacking the sunroof later, so when it's done, and before I wedge it back into place, I was wondering what's the best way of getting it squeaky clean again?

I have a VAX shampoo/vacuum jobbie - would that be the best bet?

Ta muchly.

I used a aerosol foam upholstery cleaner from a local motor factors, followed up with a light rub with some white towelling to ensure that there were no water marks and dirt remaining. It did a really good job.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave.

By the way, your door handle repair kit arrived on Saturday - many thanks!

lighter fuel on a cloth removes everything without tainting, and it evaporates virtualy straight away. i use it on the headlining, seats, and carpets........works a treat, Michael at m.j interiors gave me the tip. My interior doesn't have a single mark anywhere

lighter fuel on a cloth removes everything without tainting, and it evaporates virtualy straight away. i use it on the headlining, seats, and carpets........works a treat, Michael at m.j interiors gave me the tip. My interior doesn't have a single mark anywhere

Ooooh, very good tip! I might have to give that a go...

I did mine out with some Autoglym interior foam spray.. comes in a big aerosol can. Could not believe the colour the towels came out after going over the headlining.. it was absolutely minging! :gag:

Ooooh, very good tip! I might have to give that a go...

Just remember not to light up in the car afterwards :lol:

Stupid question I know, but dab, wipe or scrub?

Cheers.

I used Halfords upholstery cleaner, did the job.

foam carpet cleaner from Tescos etc is probably far cheaper, think I used 1001 or something, dab about with a sponge and then paper towels to remove.

A gentle wipe with the lighter fuel is all it usually needs, obviously something a bit more ground in might need a little scrubbing, I use the 133ml fluid, ronsonal, swan and the like. My five year old son got some fresh tar on his feet on a hot day and managed to get it on the back of the passenger seat, that came off straight away with the fluid. :thumbleft:

A gentle wipe with the lighter fuel is all it usually needs, obviously something a bit more ground in might need a little scrubbing, I use the 133ml fluid, ronsonal, swan and the like. My five year old son got some fresh tar on his feet on a hot day and managed to get it on the back of the passenger seat, that came off straight away with the fluid. :thumbleft:

Ta muchly! I shall dab with appropriate care.

So lighter fluid removes children from the back seats.. hmm...

Can he use his vax on it? (My dad just brought and thinking of taking a trip over to use it on my headlining!)

never liked those things, they are really inferior to proper industrial carpet cleaners but as far as you headlining goes the gentle sponge clean with a foam cleaner would be less likely to cause damage than battering it with a carpet cleaner nozzle.

LOL, being a smoker, the thought of lighter fluid on the head lining doesn't inspire me with confidence :lol: Sounds like a good trick though.

Brake a clutch cleaner does the same job and is equally flammable 8)

Personally, you can't beat soaking a microfibre cloth in 1001 stain remover and giving it a good going over. Works a treat and contrary to popular belief, water based products do not cause material sag or seperate the glue if used sensibly and sparingly.

LOL, being a smoker, the thought of lighter fluid on the head lining doesn't inspire me with confidence :lol: Sounds like a good trick though.

Brake a clutch cleaner does the same job and is equally flammable 8)

Personally, you can't beat soaking a microfibre cloth in 1001 stain remover and giving it a good going over. Works a treat and contrary to popular belief, water based products do not cause material sag or seperate the glue if used sensibly and sparingly.

Kev, didn't think you believed in cleaning your car! :lol:

Yeah i don't think it's a good idea to do the whole rooflining with fluid just the oil smudges as in the first post, but for getting any marks off the head lining-carpet-seats, fluid is just the ticket.

So, im thinking, lighter fluid to remove nasty marks, then foam upholstry cleaner for the entire thing? Sound like a good plan?

Also, is the material the kind to bobble if too much force is applied?

Ah yeah, another question too. When i removed mine the majority of the sponge around the edges decided to fall off too. Whats the best way of reattaching this? Some kind of fabric glue?