Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Am i stupid considering this?

As the title says am i being silly considering getting this now, declaring it off road and storing it gradually working on it until i go back to uni?

Underneath all sounds like its been looked after and is a daily so its all running, low miles too but the body is just foobard, but as a daily crap heap to drive to and from uni im thinking its probs worth it?

LINK

Rob.

Dont care about polishing it tbh, it will just be a daily runner and then when im finished uni i will start restoring it so no doubt will have new panels where needs and respray etc. Just thinking £150 for a 77k tidy ish mk1 isnt going to come around too often.

If its not toooo far and you are more than willing by all means take a look at it mate :)

Just 2 months MOT left on a rough looking car. Miles may not even be genuine.

Definately go look at it.

Yeah would go look at it for sure. Not toooo fussed about the MOT right away as like i said if i was to get it now i would store it in my dads lock up and gradually get it all good for MOT and ready for uni etc. I have until october after all so i could easily wait and get one closer to the time, but at that price im just thinking get it now and its done then, spend a bit here and there whilst i can afford it so it runs well and then MOT and insure it when im ready to start using it.

vwdeviant, PM on its way mate.

Rob,

Most important thing with that mk1 is the rear beam mounting points.

What i mean is,if those rear arches are original having not been repaired then it normally means that the rear beam mounting points are pretty solid.

Its the worst place to repair on a mk1 and can be expensive if rotten.

Still give the underneath a good checking out though,its just a genaral rule of thumb that the arches tend to give an idea of beam mounting area condition.

Neil.

Would it not be wiser to invest the money towards a GTI?

Nah not interesting in a high spec one really as i want cheapy cheap cheap for uni hence a 1.1 or 1.3. The gti's are much more expensive, im just looking at something for a few hundred notes, and insurance/tax etc will be more.

i wouldn't get a car thats older than my main car as the 2nd car, if that makes sense, i would just imagine the golf costing more to keep going

i'd rather buy a £200-300 car that was up to 8yrs old (ish)

but as a daily crap heap to drive to and from uni

Why there are loads of crap heaps out there,that don`t need the work.

If you just want something to keep you mobile :!:

but as a daily crap heap to drive to and from uni

Why there are loads of crap heaps out there,that don`t need the work.

If you just want something to keep you mobile :!:

Yeah but i want a mk1 golf that i can eventually restore after uni and bring the C back out as a daily. Its all planned out :lol:

Rob: £450.00 and only 62k on it.. looks a better deal?

Black & Shiny

Or this? (Ok no MOT and in Scotland... but plate alone has to worth more than the car!)

First one maybe, not the second though, dont want a cab and its too much and too far etc.

Gunna have to think about it i reckon because i want actually looking yet, just happened to see someone post the one for £150 on ed38 and though for that money i could easily store it and tinker with it until uni. But now thinking the black one would be much better but then that will put the charger on hold even longer which i dont want as im ready for that pretty soon!

Love my mk1 cabby.

But it has proved pretty pricy since I got it. Much more than I hoped for as a second car although every time I get in it I smile as they are great cars...............

My old polo saloon was perfect for this.

It had one owner from new, 75k on the clock, 12 months tax and MOT for £150. I ran it for a year, never touched it mechanical wise and sold it 12 months later for £100 with no tax/mot, perfect!

My old polo saloon was perfect for this.

It had one owner from new, 75k on the clock, 12 months tax and MOT for £150. I ran it for a year, never touched it mechanical wise and sold it 12 months later for £100 with no tax/mot, perfect!

Thats exactly what i want, but i want a mk1 golf! If this golf runs ok i dont care what it looks like for 150 notes! Just need to have a look at it and see!

There's also THIS one which is cheap, done more miles but has better bodywork on it. Wants £300 ono so could get it cheaper no doubt.

EDIT: Scrap that its sold anyway :lol:

I'd say go with the black one, i was looking at that this morning and it comes with most of the bits you'd need to make it right. Get them painted and fitted over time and you'd have a pretty nice looking low mileage mk1 to play with once you finish uni :)

If you want a daily cheap hack, a MK2 Golf would be much better.

I've owned 2 MK1s (a 1500 carb and a GTI) and there's no way I would ever own one again. MK2s are soooooo much better.

Why not consider a Pug 205 GTI 1.6? If it has to be a daily hack, why not have some fun in the process? Standard ones are reliable, cheap, torquey motor low down and they handle. And before people start with the French tinny cr@p comments, the MK1 is certainly no chunk of granite either ;-)

And before people start with the French tinny cr@p comments, the MK1 is certainly no chunk of granite either ;-)

But the potential to make a mk1 a fantastic car in the future is great.

Cheap 2l 16 for a pretty quick car or for the more extreme and with larger wallets a 225 tt engine pushing 300bhp...

Then they are fantastic fun and pretty rapid