Sign in to follow this  
bigpants baby

R32 engine conversion running probs

Just finishing off my R32 engine conversion in my corrado,Im having a slight running problem,the car is driving like a bag of shoot.

Im using engine,02m gearbox,std ecu,dbw throttle etc,driving the car it seems to have no adjustment on the throttle(you just touch the throttle & it revs quite high) lots of jerking,Im having to pull away in 2nd.

I have the clutch & brake switches wired up ok

Because my car is 1990 I have no abs etc,the fault codes are:exhaust flapper thingy & abs not connected to the drivetrain?

I believe there's some way you can adjust the DBW throttle sensitivity, as I remember Vince talking about it... no idea how tho.

Maybe worth having a look on the uk-mkivs.net forums to see if anybody on there knows?

You can only adjust it with mapping IIRC.

I hate DBW. It's so fake and takes control away from the driver. They feel jerky and brisk off the line because VW map the throttle to open a huge amount for a tiny input, making you think it's incredibley fast for such small throttle inputs.....but floor the throttle higher up the rev range and it doesn't feel so urgent.

I believe the R32 ECU also needs a steering angle input and needs the ABS for the ESP, so that could be your problem as they're linked to throttle position. It works out how to 'recover' you from an incident based on steering angle, requested power (throttle opening) and road speed.....

Personally, I would lose the VW ECU and fit a DTA S80. You will gain proper control of the throttle openings for any given input and you can dispense with the nannying devices. By all accounts R32s let off the leashes with a DTA make some very appealing power figures.

Ive replied to your email mate, I had no problems with mine, but as Kev says, it could be down to the ABS.

Where can he get a DTA ECU Kev?

From DTA? :)

Or Emerald is also pretty good.

That's taking the whole aftermarket ECU route though - it's not a straight swap (you may need to re-wire some bits) and they're not cheap (£700+ just for the ECU).

It is the way I'd prefer to do it tho...

Anywhere really, Roverdose.co.uk has an ebay shop and the S80 is £900 on there, which is about the cheapest I've seen it so far.

Ive just changed the maf,no difference,but I ran the engine with no maf & that didnt make any difference?

Im just wondering if its the clutch switch,it seems to be holding the revs during gearchanges

If the ABS is throwing faults it will not influence the running as it basically switches off completely.

The most likely thing is something to do with clutch/brake/throttle pedal switches/function. Is the clutch one operated at the right time by the pedal etc?

Jay

Right,I have fitted a resistor where the flapper valve should be,its taken out both engine warning lights,the car drives a lot better,but when you get to around 4k revs,change gears & the revs dont drop?

Ive checked the wiring to the clutch switch & there defo going to the right places,Ive bridged the female connection to the clutch switch & the revs are no difference?

Ive also put a multi meter to the actual clutch switch,on pushing the plunger-nothing,Im using the right switch for the chassis number,but to me it looks like a brake switch?