Sign in to follow this  
turlock

Which Corrado?

Folks,

On the hunt for a Corrado G60 at the moment but after a) not finding the perfect one and cool.gif thinking about it logically I don't know if it is a G60 that I need (/really want).

I'm coming from an R33 Skyline so want to look forward to

* Better MPG from my petrol

* Lower tax

* Cheaper (realistic) insurance quotes

I'd like to start driving decent distances but have been dodging it for petrol cost reasons.

* I like the G60 for it's forced induction meaning cheap tax bracket vs performance.

* Insurance companies actually give proper quotes

* Good bit of poke

Do I really need a G60 though? It's going to be slowish compared to almost 300bhp so is the speed going to matter? Plus the VRT seems to be a throw of a dice at the moment.

Would a 1.8 16v or 2 litre be more what I'm looking for?

Bad point for going for a non-G60 is that I'd like to do it up a bit (tastefully) so I'm a bit concerned about putting my money into a non G60 seeing as the 1.8 or 2.0 aren't ever really going to be proper classic sought after cars...

IMO its only the VR that will ever become a truly sought after classic of any description, so i wouldn't worry to much about going for a valver. Speed wise, they're always going to feel slow compared to a Skyline. I went from a 255 brake GT4 to a 1.8 valver. And yeah, its got nowhere near the pace or torque. I can now no longer pee off Boxter 'S' and other fancy cars, but hey, i put a hell of a lot less motion lotion in.

And after a while when you get used to the car it can still feel good and surprise you :)

I absolutely adore my G60, I would recommend it over either of the valvers. But then others would say I'm nuts for even suggesting that. The only real way you're gonna find out what's right for you is to drive them. Not the easiest thing with rados i know. But you're right they are going to feel slow after an R33 but trust me they are soooo good to drive the lack of speed in comparison is not gonna bother you too much, and it that respect you can't really go wrong with any of them.

if your UK based the the G60 should be the same road tax as the Skyline,its engine cc dependant til 2001,so as the Corrado and R33 are manufactured before then and they are both over 1500cc then they are both in the same road tax band

VR MPG is very dependant on how you drive it, mine would return 30-32 mpg on a run. Which is probably better than the Skyline but only just.

G60's are great, but keep on top on the charger maintenance or it'll get expensive.

Valvers run for ever and MPG is great. Stick a turbo on it for some serious fun!

Valvers run for ever and MPG is great. Stick a turbo on it for some serious fun!

My valver needed an engine rebuild after 118k and kicked out 25mpg on average, lol

However, now its had the rebuild it gives 32mpg+ and it should be good for another 5-10yrs now.

which skyline did you have??

i have just gone from a sti type r running around 340bhp to a vr6, type r did around 15 mpg were as vr6 does at least 32 on average, vr6 will keep up with a gts no problem yet return way more mpg due to weight differance imho i would go for vr6 most i have seen on mine was 44mpg doing a constant 55mph

oh and you dont have to worry about it be 99plus ron and octane booster and getting it mapped!!!

VRT would be cool but I dont think its going to be very economical as they can do 400bhp easily.

i'd go for the vr, i'll do 32mpg driving normally not hard but again not going out of my way to save fuel.

not putting the g60 down but i think aswell the vr is gonna be the classic and more sought after.

see this is where i get a bit confused,surely theres less g60 rados (even less standard g60's)than there are vr6's?making them slightly rarer or so i would have thought?,and looking @ g60 prices i think they are demanding a similar price if not more than some vr6's.i reckon the g60 is the one to have (only cause i got one :lol: ) but saying that if i was to start over again i would try the vr6 as i wouldn't mind owning one eventually to see what all the hype is about :-P

see this is where i get a bit confused,surely theres less g60 rados (even less standard g60's)than there are vr6's?making them slightly rarer or so i would have thought?,and looking @ g60 prices i think they are demanding a similar price if not more than some vr6's.i reckon the g60 is the one to have (only cause i got one :lol: ) but saying that if i was to start over again i would try the vr6 as i wouldn't mind owning one eventually to see what all the hype is about :-P

there's even less 2.0 8v's than G60's and the 2.0 8v is never going to be more in demand than a G60.............the VR6 will always be the one to have,followed by the G60,thats not saying the G60 is inferior,standard versus standard the VR has nearly 30bhp more than the G60 so will always be seen as the top of the range version

VRs and G60s are both going to be classics in thier own right and goode examples of either will fetch good prices..

Have a go of either and think about what youd like to spend to make it to your personal tastes and go from there...

there's even less 2.0 8v's than G60's and the 2.0 8v is never going to be more in demand than a G60.............the VR6 will always be the one to have,followed by the G60,thats not saying the G60 is inferior,standard versus standard the VR has nearly 30bhp more than the G60 so will always be seen as the top of the range version

i understand what your sayin about the vr6 being the top end version of the rado,and i never knew that there were less 2.0 8v about,(you truly are the oracle :D )

and i don't know enough facts an figures to put a good case forward ,but apart from the campaign(not much chance of ever ownin one)and the vr6 storm,i reckon the g60 will be in more demand than a standard vr6 model in years to come,i just think the g60 engine is just that bit special :D maybes thats just me hopin :lol:

i'd also be interested to see how many of each model were actually made?

i understand what your sayin about the vr6 being the top end version of the rado,and i never knew that there were less 2.0 8v about,(you truly are the oracle :D )

and i don't know enough facts an figures to put a good case forward ,but apart from the campaign(not much chance of ever ownin one)and the vr6 storm,i reckon the g60 will be in more demand than a standard vr6 model in years to come,i just think the g60 engine is just that bit special :D maybes thats just me hopin :lol:

i'd also be interested to see how many of each model were actually made?

your blinkered Greeny :lol: ..............the G60 engine isn't that special,it can trace its design back to the 70's afterall,not saying the VR is best engine ever but its a bit more special than the 4 pot

it can trace its design back to the 70's

The VR isn't exactly that much of a spring chicken rodders! Work on the VR6 began in the early 80's!

I think they both have plus and negative points.. the sheer tuning potential (and sheer strength of the internals) for the G60 never fails to impress me!

it can trace its design back to the 70's

The VR isn't exactly that much of a spring chicken rodders! Work on the VR6 began in the early 80's!

I think they both have plus and negative points.. the sheer tuning potential (and sheer strength of the internals) for the G60 never fails to impress me!

...........which is later(therefore newer) than the 70's and IIRC t'was more the mid-late 80's VR development started :D :D :D

thing is tho...........when they are being sought after by collectors it will be the near standard unmodded ones that will be the ones will be the most desirable,so regardless of how much easier to tune the G60 is over the VR I reckon the VR will be the more sought after from a standard point of view

your blinkered Greeny :lol: ..............the G60 engine isn't that special,it can trace its design back to the 70's afterall,not saying the VR is best engine ever but its a bit more special than the 4 pot

you may be right :D

sayin that if i was to have another rado it would have to be a storm, they seem to be the only ones that hold a true high value @ the moment although they to do seem to have dropped down a fair bit,again due to condition etc.

i guess only time will tell on which will be the one to own (g60)i wouldn't be surprised if they both became an equal on bein a classic,anyway over an out ,gotta go to work :(

laters

And you say that Greeny is blinkered.. ;)

Date wise.. well i'm looking at a press clipping here from 1986 talking about the 2.4 litre 24v RV6.. if they were talking about it in the mid 80's, i'd say that it must have been in development in the early 80's ;)

I've never owned a G60 although I did drive one way back in the days when I still had my valver, it was one of the reasons I decided to get a VR, not because I didn't like the G, rather that I realised how much better the Corrado felt with more grunt than I had at the time. One thing I did notice when I first bought the VR though was how much less agile it felt than the old one, probably due to all the extra weight hung out over the front end. Never notice it now anyway! It's seven years since I traded up and the VR was a big investment in those days, a fair bit more than a G60 at the time, nowadays the price gap has got a lot narrower so that is less of a consideration.

There may be a big difference between standard G60 power and VR6 power but it's not too expensive to get an extra 30 or 40 bhp from the charged motor, the same cannot be said for the VR. Of course no matter how much you spend on a G60 you'll never get the V6 sound track :lol:

And you say that Greeny is blinkered.. ;)

Date wise.. well i'm looking at a press clipping here from 1986 talking about the 2.4 litre 24v RV6.. if they were talking about it in the mid 80's, i'd say that it must have been in development in the early 80's ;)

are you sure thats from a 86 press clipping and not an 88 one...........as I too have a magazine with talk of the same engine and that mag is from 88 :? mentioning the forthcoming Corrado that will have the engine in the top of the range model

Strictly speaking all VW engines date back to the end of 60s, when VW acquired Audi and hence Audi's watercooled 827EA engine. All further VW engines were and still are based on the original 827EA block from back then, even the VR6. VW have never designed an engine from the ground up without at least taking major aspects from / mdoifying that original 827EA.

you'll never get the V6 sound track

Nope, but you get the awesome G60 sound track :-)

Tempest

IMO its only the VR that will ever become a truly sought after classic of any description

What an absolute load of.............poppycock (the best non-swearing word that came into my head!!)

The G60 is already starting to attract more money than alot of VR's out there now! G60 is more a classic as also a rarer car. But probably best not to spark up the whole G60vsVR debate. Just commenting in terms of classic status!!

However - as already stated they will both become classics in their own right!

Don't buy a Corrado, they suck you in and don't let go :(

Kind of like the new Dyson DC03!

The lightest upright with no loss of suction

* Brush control system

This allows you to switch the brushbar off for use on all floor surfaces.

* Reversible wand

For easier cleaning of hard to reach areas.

1.jpg

poppycock now theres a strong word :lol:

like i say time will tell ,but i reckon the g60 will reign supreme :D "THE VR6 IS DEAD,LONG LIVE THE G60!!!" :lol:

I love the awesome delivery of torque from tickover with the G60, my mates Golf Rallllyeeee (think thats enough lll's and eee's) was very lazy to drive and BL88DY quick.

For me, I like both (he says, in a sitting on the fence kind of way!).