Sign in to follow this  
jack

What Oil

Anyone know how much the VW dealership charges for a 5L tub of 10W40 semi synth?

And what about the FUCHS branded stuff that GSF are selling? Is it approx the same?

I have just been in today. The ticket says £18.60 plus vat, but with discount it came to £15.81 ish. It was marked up as over £20/5l on the shelf though :shock:

GSF website says.... lots of confusing things.... between £10 and £10000000 I believe.

GSF website says £10.70 plus vat for 5L of FUCHS 10w40 semi synth. I wasn't clear really, but I was wondering if it might be made by the same people .. or at least made to the same standards .. ?

Anyone know how much the VW dealership charges for a 5L tub of 10W40 semi synth?

And what about the FUCHS branded stuff that GSF are selling? Is it approx the same?

I have just been in today. The ticket says £18.60 plus vat, but with discount it came to £15.81 ish. It was marked up as over £20/5l on the shelf though :shock:

GSF website says.... lots of confusing things.... between £10 and £10000000 I believe.

i've bought 4 of them in 12months :!

i'm still not sure what oil to get, i have 900miles in which to decide :lol:

i don't wanna get anything very pricey if i'm toppping up so often, i think i have a small leak

Well the Halfords 5W-40 fully synthetic stuff that I used last weekend has been pretty good so far, plus as the current offer means you get 10L for £31 it seems like a bit of a bargain.

Plus, in the original corrado owners manual I've got for my vr I notice it recommends the 5w-40 which I was a little surprised at! :lol:

standard (sytna silver) will be fine Rob, as as you no the rotrex uses its own oil supply, and at £75 a litre :shock: is should be bloody good stuff????

perhaps worth thinking about Fuchs Silkolene Pro-Race 10w 50 (as previously mentioned in this thread) as gives our older lumps very good protection in general, i've found mine to be a lot quieter (and generally happier) in the year i've been using it plus the head still looks to be in pretty good condition!

i get mine from a shop on the bay called RPM Motorsport Rob, he sells various tuning bits and bobs and does most of the Fuchs oil range, this is a link to one of the ad's for the Silky 10w 50:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=003

this is the shop itself:-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RPM-Motorsport

you don't have to buy via the bay either, his premises are in 'Ware Hertfordshire', so i usually just ring them up direct or drive over once a year & get a couple of 5 litre tubs, the stuff is'nt cheap but it definitely helps protect your engine so i think its a sound investment, found i had lower oil temps using it and the engine just seems quieter & happier in general. Another bonus is its 100% fully synthetic as opposed to a part synthetic and gives very very good protection at higher engine temps.

If you do ring up ask for Lee, he's very helpfull & if i remember rightly can post 2 tubs for the same price as 1, like i said mate not cheap but if it saves you serious re-build costs later on its worth it.

Where can i get some of that Silkolene then Alex?

rob if your still looking for the silky ask jon or mark if they'd be so kind as to pop to that shop in as its round the corner (maybe) and pick it up at the next mims meet or e38?

Cheers for the idea Andy but im borrowing someones Halfords trade card so am going to get some oil and spark plugs etc from halfords in one shot and save some money! Sadly the trade card doesnt cover cleaning products :(

I use Castrol TWS 10W/60 and expiriencing slightly less oil consumption compared with Mobile 1 5W/50. However its still quite high, around 1L per 2000 kilometers :?

perhaps worth thinking about Fuchs Silkolene Pro-Race 10w 50 (as previously mentioned in this thread) as gives our older lumps very good protection in general, i've found mine to be a lot quieter (and generally happier) in the year i've been using it plus the head still looks to be in pretty good condition!

"The two companies who combined to form Fuchs UK in 1996 - SILKOLENE Lubricants Plc and CENTURY Oils Ltd - have a history and pedigree going back more than 100 years"

The Silkolene Pro-S 10w50 works out pricey .. you'll need 5.5L for a VR, and that means 1x5L + 1x1L = ~ £52 for one refill.

I'd happily go to VW and buy Synta if my dealer wasn't unable to hand out discounts due to a bad case of tight-waddery. If I'm going to be asked to pay £20+VAT per 5 litres, I'll be going straight to GSF for the Fuchs 10w40 (which appears to be certified to the same standards ..).

Or £38 a refill if you buy in bulk from Opie Oils. They regularly do deals whereby you get a free 1L bottle of Pro S with every 5L tub.

£38 is hardly breaking the bank for a top quality Ester engine oil, which by virtue of it's ingredients means you change it less frequently than Synta.

As Kev Said above Opie Oils always do deals on oils with free shipping. Best place I ve found for the silky pro s10w50.

Can't fault their service at all.

The oil is always at my desk the following morning of placing an order (saves driving to Halfords or the stealer) and they sell really good Purolator filters too, which are £7 each, compared to £12 or something for the VAG ones.

I even chose an oil I had second thoughts about after receiving it and they swapped it for Silky no questions asked.

Much respect to Simon and Guy and opie 8)

Hmm, just found an old thread .. looks like opieoils' sale finished yesterday .. ! :(

You're right, £38 for an oilchange is *much* more reasonable, particularly, as you say, for decent oil. But bulk buying isn't something I fancy .. (small house; and low annual mileage means I won't use it for years).

Unless anyone else in the Reading area wants to do a group buy?

Another thumbs up to Opie Oils here, it's no 'charged VR but my engine has run noticeably quieter since changing from Synta to Silkolene Pro-S 5w-40. Definitely worth a go for valver owners, plus the 5 litre containers are more than enough for a change.

Hmm, just found an old thread .. looks like opieoils' sale finished yesterday .. ! :(

You're right, £38 for an oilchange is *much* more reasonable, particularly, as you say, for decent oil. But bulk buying isn't something I fancy .. (small house; and low annual mileage means I won't use it for years).

Unless anyone else in the Reading area wants to do a group buy?

Don't worry they'll have another along soon. probably this weekend lol

Cheers for the idea Andy but im borrowing someones Halfords trade card so am going to get some oil and spark plugs etc from halfords in one shot and save some money! Sadly the trade card doesnt cover cleaning products :(

don't forget you'll be wanting to upgrade your plugs once the Rotrex goes on Rob, probably worth asking Martin what he recomends!

Don't worry they'll have another along soon. probably this weekend lol

:lol: Was going to say they're a bit like DFS, always got a sale on, LOL! Hope Oilman isn't reading this or he'll revoke our priviliges :lol: