Sign in to follow this  
Riley

The rear brake pressure regulator - Adjust once lowered?

How do guys :)

My rear brakes aren't looking too good :?

With a biggish drop,what needs doing to get the pressure reg working as normal?

Had a quick look today,and it seems there's an elongated hole where the spring mounts to the rear beam via a bolt.

A case of sliding this to the highest it will go?

As the car sits at the moment,the spring is very tight,and the pressure reg closed? i think?

Cheers,Neil.

No - pressure regulator is now fully open. It's designed to increase the rear braking effort as more load is placed on the back of the car compressing the rear suspension.

Right now, the regulator is under the impression that you have a boot full of bricks and a couple of heavy mates in the back seat - so it can apply full pressure the rear brakes. As you don't have this (just a lower car) rear wheel lock-ups are likely.

Try adjusting it so that the spring is just under tension with the car on its wheels and then go brake testing to see which end locks 1st in an emergency stop (disable the ABS 1st if you have it).

There is a special tool that VW will use to adjust the rear brake compensator valve, essentially you leave the unladen car on it's wheels, stick the tool on, tighten the bolt and bingo, it's adjusted right.

It's like being on the waltzers at the fair except you might just die!

I don't know how many times I have been sideways while trying to stop because of this

Cheers guys,

Will snap the bolt off where the elongated hole is (Its tight and feels like it will snap) so ill buy new bolt/spacer/roller/washer/nut...and then adjust it just so there is a little tension on it.

As it is currently,its as though my rear brakes are sticking on slightly?

Think i need to do this guys, my rear brakes squeek so im guessing are on slightly? Where am i looking then for this pressure regulator? Is there one each side or is there just one for both rears etc?? And what so i do once i have found it?

There's one regulator for both rear brakes. It often seizes up, so you should get some WD40 all over it and waggle the arm to free it up.

It's obvious once you look under the back of the car, tbh.

It shouldn't cause the brakes to stick on, however, more likely is your rear calipers are seized ...

There's one regulator for both rear brakes. It often seizes up, so you should get some WD40 all over it and waggle the arm to free it up.

It's obvious once you look under the back of the car, tbh.

It shouldn't cause the brakes to stick on, however, more likely is your rear calipers are seized ...

Check to see if the emergency brake cables are too tight. That has been an issue before too. But most likely the calipers are seized.