Sign in to follow this  
stuosb

bam engine conversion vs other engine conversions

DBW - It's good if it's mapped properly, i.e. not how VW map it to open 60% with 3mm of pedal deflection at low rpms.

How do you do that? I reckon my CC software makes mine harsher :shock:

Should be able to map it via the comms port if you're using the Stock ECU?

You can't drive on the dyno at the rpms where this happens, so a live map with a laptop on the road until it smoothes off is a one way, or some trial and error chips with reduced throttle openings is another....or bin the DBW and fit a cable throttle :lol:

I've seen bored out throttles give jerky behaviour too, or throttles incorrect for the engine....mainly because for the same throttle inputs as before, the airflow is now significantly greater, which leans off the mix very quickly, which the ECU needs time to compensate for.

When a Motec ECU (if you want DBW) costs over £3K!

Why bother with that when you can Use the Std VW stuff! Mines running DBW and VVT all on STD VW Management!

For £3K I got my whole conversion done!!!!

doesnt standard management leave you somewhat wanting when you want to push big power from these engines ?

To push the engine for power beyond what the BAM ECU is capable of will need mechanical changes first anyway. Namely better flowing manifold, stronger rods, uprated valves, etc. The BAM ECU is pretty sophisticated and maps well, hence so many Revo type people doing 'plug in' maps for them.

Standalones give you greater flexibility and less nannying, but for a daily driver, the BAM would be my preferred choice personally for the 1.8T. It has 2 load references, intelligent knock control (standalones don't have knock control - that works "properly" - not even motec) and EGT failsafe, aswell as that all important VVT and DBW control.

For big boost, I'm not sure if the BAM needs a bigger MAF body as it has MAP aswell, but something along those lines needs considering.

when did you learn all this about the 1.8T lol

keep it coming - its all interesting and relevant info

when did you learn all this about the 1.8T lol

keep it coming - its all interesting and relevant info

Here and there :lol:

Most of it from Stealth Racing actually. I've known them years and Vince is always keen to impart his knowledge. I blew up Vince's AGU 1.8T engine accidentally (the MAF went) and I was standing right beside an S3 on their rollers when it bent a rod (big turbo + stock manifold!), plus I've seen more than enough shagged 1.8Ts around their workshop to start to learn about their common weak spots and how they run etc.

It's always cylinder 3 that buys it first....weird!

I've never owned a 1.8T and don't profess to know them inside out, but at the end of the day, it's sparks and fuel, two things common to all petrol engines, and I have lots of experience of mixing those two things together, in a variety of engines :lol:

a very modest response ;)

been doing some reading about AGU vs BAM. I think I read the AGU has the best head, but I still can't see why people would not choose the BAM version. However the AGU seems a popular choice. Not entirely sure of the reasons. Availablility and cost? Something else you could probably answer - apart from water jacket/cyl head differences between the AGU, BAM (and all the others) - is it just the turbo and manifold that set them apart - or are there other important differences? For example - is it possible to achieve the same power from an AGU after changing the turbo/manifold (rods?) etc? Theres a black spot in my understanding there....

Why is that with cylinder 3 - anything to do with the location of the turbo?

I was out with a friend writing his fuel map while he was driving in his westfield 2 weeks ago - that was very interesting and good fun! And I got sunburnt!

Sorry mate, I have very limited knowledge on that! The myriad of different 1.8T flavours confuses me too.

From what I've learned, the AGU block is basically just a modded 16V, whereas the BAM is a proper, stronger redesigned block. Curiously, both use the same 16v con rods which bend quite easily, as I witnessed on the dyno.

AGU has a better flowing head (slightly bigger intake valves I think).

Compression ratios vary too.

AGU has a K03 turbo and BAM has a K04. There was another engine in between these two which had a K03s turbo (180hp).

Not sure why cyl 3 goes first, maybe it runs slightly hotter than the other 3, or could be turbo position related as you say, a bit like Subarus. They always blow 3 first too because the turbo sits right above it, making that the hottest cylinder.

i think the only engine that doesn't have an achilles heel is the Merlin engine as fitted to the spitfire!! Those things could do 8 hour bombing raids flat out for weeks on end!

Yeah you should be able to get BAM power from an AGU with a turbo and ECU swap, but it's the weakest block, so you've got to be careful.

Did you not feel ill mapping whilst driving? I hate it :lol:

I do find the variants a tad confusing myself - but do have the opinion that the BAM has to be the strongest due to its purpose. Odd about the rods yes. CRs all seem quite high - 9.5:1 (I think crasher clarified this earlier in the thread). I'm curious to know if people lower these before extracting more power...

I'm tempted to go 1.8T within the year - was out in one at Knockhill and I was impressed. Could be an easy job of sourcing an engine and sorting out a few parts while its on a stand.

And setting the mapping - yes I felt totally car sick! It was a good laugh though - and interesting to see how far out we were when starting off. Getting the right balance took an afternoon due to working through the rev range. Plus the looks I got when drivers saw me - hair standing up - cramped in a little kit car with a huge laptop in my hands LOL!

It's always cylinder 3 that buys it first....weird!

Strange that! A mate of mine with a Jabba'd IHI'd Ibiza blew it up at the Nurburgring last weekend! Guess what????? Number 3 cylinder fooked!

Will have to watch it on mine then if I decide to go silly turbo's! Still mines a Std AUQ K03s recently RR'd at 195Bhp at Awesome! Not bad for a filter, de-cat and a BFOFMIC!

Why bother with that when you can Use the Std VW stuff! Mines running DBW and VVT all on STD VW Management!

hi m8 i have just started doing thic bam in my corrado. just wanted to know how did u fit padel and padel sencer for the DBW throtal plz? im running STD VW Management with remap 290 bhp or wt would be the best way off getting rid of sencer padel and sencer throtal putting cable throtal.

surjit

hi m8 i have just started doing thic bam in my corrado. just wanted to know how did u fit padel and padel sencer for the DBW throtal plz? im running STD VW Management with remap 290 bhp or wt would be the best way off getting rid of sencer padel and sencer throtal putting cable throtal.

surjit[/quote:2a4f9]

Easy Surj.. goodluck with the conversion.. look forward to seeing it all done..

Good mate of myns having a 20vt fitted in his nimbus MK2.. his has cost him abt 3k ish too...

surjit[/quote:42b82]

Now Then, by sencer.....you mean sensor aye :lol: To fit the DBW throttle pedal you will need to fabricate a bracket and weld it into your pedal box/floor area, bit of trial and error required as to getting the position right for your foot!

You can ditch the DBW system, you'll need a cable throttle, throttle body off an early 1.8T car! Not sure that BAM motors were designed to run on a cable throttle so doubt you can run the VW management! You will need to go Qpeng or DTA/Emarld etc

Someone will be along to correct me shortly 8)