Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

Whats a ball park figure to get an engine bored out?

Agreed you could/can just fit a 1.8T which some people prefer. At a recent RR day at awesome my current spec engine gave more power and torque than a standard 1.8T I don't know much about the different audi/VW turbo engines and there power only going from experience of one corrado conversion on the day. Granted the engine could be improve easily but the engine would not have the same low end torque character. So going from a G60 to a 1.8T requires some serious thought as you probably well know. What sort of power/torque character are you going to go for?

I actually like having an unusual engine. I never see another on the road locally. And I like putting lots of thought into improvements so as to get my money's worth if you know what I mean. First I get to think about it, then I get to buy it, then I get to make it work, then I get to enjoy it! Slows down the spending a lot and stops me getting bored. And when I've finished playing with this car in about 5 years I'd like to get a 1995 Porsche 928 5.4 GTS Manual and supercharge it woohoo 400 lb/ft from 2k hee hee. I'll just keep dreaming about that one!

Horses for Courses though don't want to get into a 1.8T/G60 flame war.

totally agree - so maybe best not going there ;)

i was going to 1.9 the PG engine and fit a different head - keeping the g-lader. In the middle of sorting the handling and braking out after that track session (dying to get back out there) - afterwards the gearbox. But doing more to the power will come soon enough. I want to keep the original engine and increase the capacity, head already fitted, perhaps change to a larger charger (need to read up on rotrex chargers) or to a turbo. But theres a part of me that saying whats the point when people are getting 280bhp and around similar torque after some mapping using the BAM engine. I'm thinking maintenance costs and future upgrade potential. I'm exactly like yourself, I struggle to let myself sell the car as I just love to keep working on it - I'd get bored quickly otherwise...

EDIT - theres a contradiction in the above - but looking at the costs/effort - I'm finding it hard to justify staying with the original engine long term. I was on track in a 1.8T golf and I don't agree with the souless engine comments - his golf was quick and i was left quite impressed.

I think you like to think about what to do more than me. :D

You know sometimes your post read like the thought processes of a petrolhead psycho. :)

What souless engine comments? :scratch:

LOL! I'm not the one calculating the numbers at the moment ;) After you see a few people getting such good performance from the Corrado - its hard not to want some of it too. My problem to date has always been jumping from one idea to another and not settling on a plan. So sticking to sorting the brakes, handling and cooling for now, then can go either way. Am in a mixed opinion on engine choice - but once I move and get garage space - I'll be itching to get an engine sorted of some kind... Its great to read about others doing major work though - always SO much more interesting than knackered water pumps etc... And you've done a lot to yours in quite a short space of time.

Lots of people say the 1.8T is soulless - I can see why - but after being out in car with one - I wanted one!!

And after reading about this (and thinking about it time and time again myself) - why not just fit a BAM 1.8T and have potentially more power from a standard engine? The end cost can't be too far apart.

I just don't find it as apealing .....

It won't be a g60 anymore. :|

My problem to date has always been jumping from one idea to another and not settling on a plan.

The only plan is you want a fast corrado does it matter how you get in on the action????

My problem to date has always been jumping from one idea to another and not settling on a plan.

The only plan is you want a fast corrado does it matter how you get in on the action????

Just cost, effort and time... Its taken long enough to get where I am now! Once a garage is sought, it'll pick up... Still want a ride in yours - what shows are you going to this year?

All been well Ed38, and yea u can have ago drivin yourself if you wanna.....

oh... don't tease me!

i'm going to e38.

Those are impressive numbers in your signature.I might have to sneak a look under your bonnet if I see u there.

344lb/ft.

Does it make that sort of torque through quite a wide band of rpm?

It must pull like a tractor.

:thumbleft:

Yea it pulls ok just the G60 box lets it down in 1st and 2nd may as well forget it.

Its not as flat a spread of torque as i would like but its down to the Piper285 cam thats to blame for that but its still a good spread, bit contradictory i know, lol.

It dont look much to be honest

4kkrdpj.jpg

Agreed you could/can just fit a 1.8T which some people prefer. At a recent RR day at awesome my current spec engine gave more power and torque than a standard 1.8T I don't know much about the different audi/VW turbo engines and there power only going from experience of one corrado conversion on the day. Granted the engine could be improve easily but the engine would not have the same low end torque character. So going from a G60 to a 1.8T requires some serious thought as you probably well know. What sort of power/torque character are you going to go for?

I actually like having an unusual engine. I never see another on the road locally. And I like putting lots of thought into improvements so as to get my money's worth if you know what I mean. First I get to think about it, then I get to buy it, then I get to make it work, then I get to enjoy it! Slows down the spending a lot and stops me getting bored. And when I've finished playing with this car in about 5 years I'd like to get a 1995 Porsche 928 5.4 GTS Manual and supercharge it woohoo 400 lb/ft from 2k hee hee. I'll just keep dreaming about that one!

That'll be my 1.8T Corrado then :lol: 195bhp is not bad for a std KO3s Motor! My car used to be a valver though so going 1.8T was a more logical step forward than you guys with G60 motors! It has lots of torque, it's making max torque at 1950Rpm!

With a Remap i'll be looking at 230-240bhp, if I wanted a few more tweaks then I could KO4 it and get an easy 280bhp, If I go crazy i could either IHI VF34 it or Garret GT28/30 it and get 350+bhp! All probs for less than it would cost to get a G60 upto that type of power! So for me a big power G60 motor just seems pointless and v.expensive!

Yea it pulls ok just the G60 box lets it down in 1st and 2nd may as well forget it.

Its not as flat a spread of torque as i would like but its down to the Piper285 cam thats to blame for that but its still a good spread, bit contradictory i know, lol.

Very clean.

woz you at poddington on the 7th of this month ?

Saw a similar setup there in a car the same color.

That'll be my 1.8T Corrado then :lol: 195bhp is not bad for a std KO3s Motor! My car used to be a valver though so going 1.8T was a more logical step forward than you guys with G60 motors! It has lots of torque, it's making max torque at 1950Rpm!

With a Remap i'll be looking at 230-240bhp, if I wanted a few more tweaks then I could KO4 it and get an easy 280bhp, If I go crazy i could either IHI VF34 it or Garret GT28/30 it and get 350+bhp! All probs for less than it would cost to get a G60 upto that type of power! So for me a big power G60 motor just seems pointless and v.expensive!

You make a good point....

I'm sure what I'm considering seems fool hardy but its just what I want to do.

Its like the 16vg60 conversion.

I have heard that talked of as being a waste of time as you can get similar or better power with a tuned 8v g60 engine.

But I can respect why someone would do it.

As corrado engine bays go they are maybe one of the most impressive to look at too IMHO.Maybe more so than a VR.I guess though thats a matter of taste.

Anyway,would there be a world of difference in a 1.9 to a 2 litre?

Very clean.

woz you at poddington on the 7th of this month ?

Saw a similar setup there in a car the same color.

Well yes it was clean then been fully rebuilt 2 months before hand but it was 2 years ago and not quite so clean, i not kept on top of it.

No was not me maybe monkey on here same colour and spec now.

I always say how fast you wanna go is how much money you got, now you can get the same power as me for less than what it cost me with a different engine but as soon as you start to want the big numbers then even when you do the work yourself its still gonna cost you, so so many unexpected and things you not thought about or not costed for.

dirtytorque, Again I know where your coming from, it's almost as though it's more about doing it than the end result! I'd love a new Audi TT (if it wasn't the new "girls company fashion accessory") but I know I'd get bored with it and want to start spending money on it to make it go quicker, ABT here I would come.

rado-steve, Have you seen the magazine article yet with us all looking like right sado's and making us sound stupid with the "owners comments". :lol:

dirtytorque, Again I know where your coming from, it's almost as though it's more about doing it than the end result! I'd love a new Audi TT (if it wasn't the new "girls company fashion accessory") but I know I'd get bored with it and want to start spending money on it to make it go quicker, ABT here I would come.

You have hit the nail on the head mate.

So what do you think of going the 1.9 route.

Did you not consider it?

From what iv heard the 1900 will rev more freely than the 2L and will be alot cheaper to do as well.

rado-steve, Have you seen the magazine article yet with us all looking like right sado's and making us sound stupid with the "owners comments". :lol:

Yeah I have, here's our ugly mugs LOL!!!!!

RRRado-Steve.jpg

Sorry OT but it's worth a giggle

You make a good point....

I'm sure what I'm considering seems fool hardy but its just what I want to do.

Its like the 16vg60 conversion.

I have heard that talked of as being a waste of time as you can get similar or better power with a tuned 8v g60 engine.

But I can respect why someone would do it.

As corrado engine bays go they are maybe one of the most impressive to look at too IMHO.Maybe more so than a VR.I guess though thats a matter of taste.

Anyway,would there be a world of difference in a 1.9 to a 2 litre?

Think my bay is pretty impressive now too :)

I did consider doing a 1.9 but it just seemed to be a case of handing over some cash and there you go 1.9ltrs and I had always wanted to do a 2ltr Audi 3A bottom end engine conversion to my old mk2 8v. So I've got and audi 3A block and crank in the garage now and just waiting for the rest of the 83mm cast pistons to turn up and funds to arrive to get the engine to a local machine shop and have it built but it could be looking like I'll have to get custom rods made but still researching that one. 1.8 - 1.9 just doesn't excite me 1.9 - 2.008 does,and it makes life easier when you want more torque over more of the rev range when sticking with a G60. Take a look at blue_joes torque curve for proof of that!

Arrr you bastard Steve remove those images immediatly! :lol:

EDIT: I look like I've had a stroke but least you can't see the parking dings in my drivers door.