Sign in to follow this  
cmoth

Keep vr6 or change for 4 motion

HI

Can i get some viewpoints from you guys please as Im rightly or wrongly considering selling my VR6 and purchasing a used Golf 4 motion.

I have wanted one of these for some time now and they are now priced at a point that I would be prepared to pay.

I know of a couple of people who have done this and first reactions were that the 4 motion was slower but overall, I would have thought that the driving experience should be better given the 6 speed lower ratio box, lower peak torque than vr, 4 wheel drive and the fact that it is 7 or so years newer?

Am I making a big mistake here and should I stick with my Vr, or take the plunge and purchase the 4 motion without a great day of outlay. I would be looking to buy 3 door, with leather, only 2 owners max and ideally zenons also.

Your comments either way please.

Thanks

I may be a wee bit biased, but my take on this is :-

The Corrado is a modern classic, the Golf is ... ... well, a Golf. A pretty damn good one, mind - but still a Golf.

I was at the point a while ago when I decided I had to either replace the VR6 or spend some serious money on it. I ummed and arred for a while, then realised there wasn't that much under 25K that I really fancied so i decided to do the VR up.

Then this 4motion engine came up for sale. That's the route I'm taking. :)

Don't know if this help's.

John

I have one of each, but as John-M is doing above, my C has a 4mo engine (Ive sold it now, but I still have a few more weeks driving yet 8) )

Anyway, the 4mo is a good drive and quick, and handles well, and feels more modern and better built than the C, but the C is a different animal altogether. It wasnt meant to be like a Golf in the way it drives, handles or the build etc and is a more raw car, whereas the Golf is a bit more refined.

I do like the Golf, and especially on long journeys its more comfortable, but to rag around the bends, the C wins every time.

So, it depends what you want from the car to be honest.

I think the ratios in the 4motion are a bit TOO short. I guess it's cos it's a lard-a*se so needs all the help it can get to go quickly. Tis a bit odd in a 'GT' kinda car though.

Nice all the same :)

I think the ratios in the 4motion are a bit TOO short.

I do too, by the time you hit 50 you have to be in 3rd, whereas in my C I can be closer to 70 :D

Tis wierd. makes it feel quick, but not really my cup of tea.

The rest of the car is pretty darn good though. Very comfortable. Really well screwed together. Lovely plush interior. Nice handling, if a bit sloppy, and superb grip :)

And all the toys inside :)

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided to keep the corrado and buy the 4 motion too so that I have the best of both worlds. I am picking up the 4 motion today. At least this way I have the option of keeping both or selling one if necessary once I have got used to the 4 motion.

I didnt pay too much for my vr6 a year ago and as I love it to bits and have now found a garage to rent that I can store it in, I dont think I will be able to bring myself to sell it.

Thanks again

Col

Right - here goes with my comparison of the 4 motion to my vr6

Golf looks great in silver, 3 doors and leather. Feels bombproof and much more solid than the corrado. The seats although leather, I cannot seem to get comfortable in and as everyone says, you sit far too high, even on the lowest setting, so no where near as sporty in its feel. Engine feels very torquey below 3500rpm in all gears although the gears are very short indeed and is obviously one of the main reasons for this feeling.

The power is not exciting as the vr6 after 3500rpm, although it makes a nice noise, you dont get the feeling of power like you do in the corrado. It does trounce my corrado below 3500 mind you.

The golfs breaks are awesome in comparison and the interior is a very fine place to spend time in, just wish that the seats would go lower!

The economy is frankly poor compared to the vr6 but cant say that Im too concerned about this as I will not be doing too many miles.

I would sum the golf up as a luxury cruiser which does not feel that quick on the open road although in the realworld reality its no slouch ever.

The corrado on the other hand feels really hardcore in comparison and once on cam ( 3500plus), it pulls much harder and sounds even better than the 4 motion and is no doubt the one to drive if you just wanna have some fun.

So overall, I think I now have the best of both worlds, Golf for long distances and when climate control is needed, despite the comfort factor and the VR6 for all the other times, generally when Im out on my own!

My vr6 has just sailed through its MOT yesterday too with not even an advisory, not bad for a 13 year old car with £123k which has been a pleasure to own for the last 12 months.

Thanks again for all your input b4 I bought the 4 motion.

Col