Sign in to follow this  
DanVW

Brand new DeLorean anyone?

If they can make 20-25 a year (say 24) which is 2 a month, and they have a 9mth waiting list...

doesn't that mean that they've got only 18 people who want one?*

They weren't all that as cars go hence making less than 10,000.

*slighty tongue in cheek!

I heard a story somewhere that someone left one out over night under a maple tree and when they came out in the morning quite a few leaves had fallen on the bonnet.

When they went to clear them off the leaves had left marks and impressions all over the body, think its aluminium? so they got a nice leaf motif delorean. Horrible car, but there are worse.... Mk1 ford focus saloon for example.

:pukeright:

They're stainless steel, but if there's acid in the tree leaves they'll etch the metalwork which must be a pig to get out :S

wasnt the De Lorean designed by the same guy who designed the scirocco and corrado?

I wonder if the current management of the De Lorean company are also using it as a cover for drug dealing :lol:

You never know if there is enough demand to re-release the DeLorean who knows Karman might decide to re-release the Corrado :lol:

They're stainless steel, but if there's acid in the tree leaves they'll etch the metalwork which must be a pig to get out :S

fun using mr muscle kitchen hob cleaner to polish your car though :lol:

IIRC they had a horrible underpowered renault engine in them and the build quality was on a par with Ladas.

I think it's a great looking car, loved the look of them since I was about 4!! It was Giorgetto Giugiaro design, same as the mk1 rocco, Lancia Delta, and quite a few Ferrraris, Lambos and Maseratis!

Yeah, they may not be the fastest or most reliable!....but neither is the Corrado, and we all love them!

I'd love this car!! Clicky

fun using mr muscle kitchen hob cleaner to polish your car though :lol:

IIRC they had a horrible underpowered renault engine in them and the build quality was on a par with Ladas.

Indeed.

Much of the intended 'go' of a delorean was scuppered as the engine was way underpowered and it handled like a bus. The handling was then tweaked by lotus by the real downfall was the build quality. I seem to remember watching a program on the car and when they were shipped to the states the dealers were taking them to pieces and rebuilding them to ensure they got all the faults out prior to delivery to customers.

Wasn't actually!

There were a few very small Irish manufacturers, and Ford used to have a factory in Cork, as thats where Henry Fords Father was from!

I somehow doubt any of the profit from new ones would go back to repaying the british taxpayer for the millions wasted on an underpowered poor handling relic (i dont like them by the way :lol: ) the new ones like the original will be left hand drive and the prospect of driving a delorean around modern city's kind of scares me... we think the C's brakes are bad... a huge Stainless body's never gonna help the car stop! and as said above that engine is truly terrible but it ceased production a long while back so i wonder what they'll use instead (used to work next to a guy for a year who's dad was an engineer for delorean and if anyone mentioned them he never shut up so i've heard a few stories!) i'd imagine a new gm engine, vecta v6 maybe? or maybe a small block v8 :lol:

It'll ruin their exclusivity if they bring it back to production, in my opinion.

I drove 'Back 2 it', one of the cars used in Back to the future 2, when I worked at the Grampian Transport Museum as a young lad. Must have been 17-18, since I remember going round their track quicker in my first car, and MG Metro :) I think this car's in the museum in Kendal along side the batmobile, Del boys reliant etc.

Anyway this Delorean was automatic, which didn't help things, and I don't think the flux capacitor was working properly.

The body was actually plastic, the stainless steel was just a thin skin that was bonded on, but combined with the chassis wasn't exactly lightweight.

They build quality wasn't the best, we had one on display in the museum which had been sprayed red after the stainless steel got tarnished. The drivers door was propped open with a carefully placed 6inch nail, as the struts were broken.

The real reason however that they failed was the price of petrol shot up in the States, which was their main market, and they just sat in the showrooms.

Mike.

I went to that museum in Kendal in May this year. The batmobile looked cr*p. I didn't look real, almost looked cardboard. The DeLorean was cool though 8)

Yes... But when these babies hit 88 mile per hour, your gonna see some serios sh1t...

Would stick with my C,but if I could get a hover conversion on my Rado, then that would be sweet. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need... roads.

Yes... But when these babies hit 88 mile per hour, your gonna see some serios s**t...

Would stick with my C,but if I could get a hover conversion on my Rado, then that would be sweet. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need... roads.

Im taking it your Rado didnt come with the optional flux capacitor then....

:) I think this car's in the museum in Kendal along side the batmobile, Del boys reliant etc.

do you not mean keswick as i live in kendal and there aint no museum with those cars in

unless doc brown and marty somehow changed the present when they went to the past.............. :lol:

:) I think this car's in the museum in Kendal along side the batmobile, Del boys reliant etc.

do you not mean keswick as i live in kendal and there aint no museum with those cars in

unless doc brown and marty somehow changed the present when they went to the past.............. :lol:

Sorry JC, me's a daftie, Keswick it is.