Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

For all the 'Detailers' Out There..

Well just to be "controversial" - I don't really like the word as such but seeing as a detail is more than just a wash and polish..

I mean you're hardly going to stand there and say "I washed, clayed, polished, waxed, dressed the tyres, yatta yatta.." - at least it rolls it into one word!

Agreed Jim. The definition given in the link 'work of art' seems fair enough :lol:

Further down the page the sat nav and alfa ad are worth reading.

Richard Porter is a piss-poor journalist. He's not even funny. I just avoid the bollocks he writes in EVO outright these days.

And articles like that one prove it. The word "detailing" has been used by Concours and Hot-Rodders since the second world war. What an ignorant prick Porter is. He should trying reading a book, or perhaps even getting a rudimentary history of car culture.

Here's a great link for those of you into 'detailing' :wink: :lol:

I have to say, each to their own and all that, - but I can't help but find the threads with people cleaning their boot struts with tooth brushes etc a bit ammusing. Surly there's more to life than putting tents up over your car and spending hours on making sure that every last speck of dust has been removed from it. And even if 'detailing' floats your boat, why spend another hour constructing huge threads documenting (with thousands of pics) every last bit of the procedure? - I don't get it all personaly, but again - each to their own, please don't take offence :)

I have been known to spend a bit of time cleaning my car, I've overheard people walking by my house saying I'm crazy etc. but I see it as saving time. Even though I could take a day claying, pcing and waxing, it only needs that level of work twice a year. It makes washing easier and quicker with better results, so you save time. Of course, as with most things you need to draw the line somewhere but thats up to each individual, whether it be a carwash :shock: at the petrol station or taking your wheels off for a clean after every drive.

I don't know of a better word than detail to describe the process though.

I usually just say i'm cleaning the car.......as far as I'm concerned detailing on a car would mean something like blacking plastics, ya know...sorting out the details..

I'm with Walesy on this one. I personally don't feel the need to be part of a "scene" or "culture". I just like cars and like to talk about cars with like minded people. On the other hand I don't have a problem with all this PVW stuff. It's not doing me any harm. I mean, I guess I would have a problem with someone saying they were detailing a car when all they were doing to it was cleaning it. I think there is a big difference there.