CorradoVR6-Turbo

Ex-Corrado-VR6-Turbo.

The wastegate is now done,will be welded up by tomorrow them finished off cleaned and burred off the heat wraped! them i can refit the head !! no stopping now!

DSCN1537.jpg

DSCN1534.jpg

DSCN1530.jpg

said it before, and i'll say it again. you do have some bloody good skills mate.

karl

Very nice mate. Just one thing though, because the turbo flange is at an angle it may cause premature bearing failure due to the gyro effect on the compressor and turbine wheels. I doubt there is any way to avoid the angle though.

Imagine holding a cycle wheel in front of you, spin the wheel and try and twist it left and right, and you will see what I mean by gyro.

yes I know what and how gyro works but why or how would this affect the turbo bearings wearing?

Say the turbo was mounted normally in the VR and you turn left,right ect how would this differ on a few degrees?

Im curious on this,have you got any links of this ?

Cheers

I dont think its much to worry about due to the low mileage you will do. I know what you mean about turning left and right etc, but you will most of the time be going straight ahead therefore the angle will have an effect on the bearing load. I too have seen a few turbos mounted at strange angles but not generally cars that roll out of the factory with a turbo. They are either mounted North-South or transverse.

I worry to much :lol: I've been looking all over the net for info on gyro effects on turbos or mounting positions cant find a thing.

I like to do things right,and could alter things now before its welded.Dont supra twin turbos run there turbos on a angle?

Bugger it its staying put! :lol:

got my exhaust manifold welded up by another welder i dont normaly use,not that happy with it,its strong but not that neat,he said he had to get allot of heat to weld the stainless.

After allot of cleaning up inside the runner ect it looks allot better but i am going to save for a tig welder so i can do my own as i know i can weld better than this muppet :?

here are some pics...ho hum..

I supose this is my first ever manifold so i should be happy...should :lol:

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

Thats really coming together James, good work.

It'll all be wrapped up in heat tape anyway, but I know what you mean. I was really pleased with my downpipe and exhaust, but its all buried down the back of the engine and you can't see it :(

Good and strong is all thats really needed and it looks both of those.

Absolutely loving watching all the inspired fabrication on this project.

Only suggestion I

I will get a tig as i want to do my own welding,im a good welder so i know i can do better,this guy said he welded for rolls royce and when i had seen the welds i replied "what!!?? do you make shelf's for them!!"

Its done know and im just going to see how long it lasts,when or if it breaks i will have a tig by them :D

Going to refit the head soon with the intake and exhaust on so it will finally feel like its going together! woo hoo!

:notworthy: Awesome, truely wish I had these kinds of engineering skills.

I have one question though..... how much to make me one! :lol:

We've just picked up a small TIG set at work, it would be rather rude of me not to try it out and make sure it's a quality piece of kit :lol: Now what did I do with that stainless pipe I had left over......

Takes a bit of practice from the guys I've spoken to James. But sure you'll master it in no time :D

We've just picked up a small TIG set at work, it would be rather rude of me not to try it out and make sure it's a quality piece of kit :lol: Now what did I do with that stainless pipe I had left over......

Takes a bit of practice from the guys I've spoken to James. But sure you'll master it in no time :D

I still got some 316ss 2inch bends if you want to play with them :wink:

Finally managed to catch up on this as I can't see the pics at work :?

That's a very neat manifold you made there!! The welding doesn't look too bad to me, but it's not quite Rolls Royce standard :)

Won't be long now!

:notworthy: Awesome, truely wish I had these kinds of engineering skills.

I have one question though..... how much to make me one! :lol:

Thanks mate :D If i had the welder i would start to make these to order but would like to test all my own "products" :lol: before making for anyone else,so it will be a while !

CrazyDave wrote:

We've just picked up a small TIG set at work, it would be rather rude of me not to try it out and make sure it's a quality piece of kit Now what did I do with that stainless pipe I had left over......

Takes a bit of practice from the guys I've spoken to James. But sure you'll master it in no time

Cheers Dave,nice to meet you at UD,got some more ideas from looking about that day,you will have to have a go on the tig,its like gas welding,so if your any good at that it will be a doddle! :D

Finally managed to catch up on this as I can't see the pics at work

That's a very neat manifold you made there!! The welding doesn't look too bad to me, but it's not quite Rolls Royce standard

Won't be long now!

Thanks Kev,yes wont be long............depends on cash flow :lol: why did you not come to UD ? would have been good to have a chat :)

Well tonight ive put the head back on....it looking like an egine again! :D

DSCN1592.jpg

DSCN1593.jpg

DSCN1598.jpg

Thats moving along nicely James.

Guess the tensioners are OK then, looks like the old style top one?

Are you missing the top bulkhead heat shield section on your car, I can see the stud it fits too? I guess you'll be making something to reflect the heat away from the brakes etc. That heat resistent cloth seems to be holding out nicely on mine, it's a shiney aluminium layer with a glass fibre weave underneath. Keeps the heat away from all the stopping stuff :)

It was good to met you at UD James and your car will definately be on the road before mine! :lol: Ill be watching this thread with interest...Keep up the good work

Graham

hey there james, i've only just read through this thread - have to say mate - truly well done.

it gets sooooo addictive once you're into a project like that doesn't it?!

top marks for your fabrication skills as well, very impressive - i really must learn how to weld :)

good luck with the rest of it my friend, it won't be long now looking at it - when are you going to start installing the megasquirt?

it's good to see someone who has the confidence and the motivation to do projects like this - it always makes me wish i had my own garage

keep up the good work mate :D

(thanks once again by the way for sorting me out with that inlet manifold a while ago - i haven't forgotten :) )

hey again james, i've just been looking at your pics and i have a question which is probably a very silly one, but...

the vacuum line that runs off the side of the inlet is well, a vacuum line!

what sort of effect will it have being as you're going to be running FI - surely it will no longer be a vacuum line and therefore won't do it's intended job?

i'm sure what you've done is right, as clearly you have been fiddling with engines alot longer than me. if you could explain though, then that would be appreciated.

cheers :)

hello bud

it is time consuming but it will be well worth it at the end,hoping to get loads more bits soon to finish it off.... :clap:

As for the vacum line,it is a vacum 90% of the time,the engine will still draw air into the motor like normal and the vacum is created by that and the throttle flap causing drag.

So you will have it most of the time but not of boost conditions,even low boost there is still vacum,the brake servo has a one way valve in the feed/vacum line as it stores vacum in the brake servo for at least 3-4 pumps of the brake and the rest of things like wastegate is boost sensitive to open it up and off throttle on vacum the dump valve will open up.

hope that helps bud :wave:

yeah that does help cheers buddy :)

it just seemed strange to me, as when you hold onto the boost pipe straight off the turbo, you can feel the high pressure and i thought that owing to such high pressure you would get a positive pressure in the inlet rather than a negative one...

that does make sense though but i'm surprised that at low boost there is still negative pressure - but i will take your word for it!

205 gti's (and other's that had the sliding sunroof fitted) had a neat trick with their vacuum system - the seal that holds the sunroof shut and stops water getting in is self expanding - to open the sunroof you open a little switch and the vacuum from the engine sucks all the air out of the seal, allowing you to slide the sunroof - it's quite cool to watch (well for those who like that sort of thing anyway :? !)

cheers again buddy - keep up the good work