CorradoVR6-Turbo

Ex-Corrado-VR6-Turbo.

Cheers mate i shot blast the box,im still suffering the result with the grit still in my eyes!!!!!! :cuckoo: looks good though...not that i can see it :lol:

Mmmm brand new block :notworthy:

Hope this one gets some good hard but safe and reliable abuse this time :lol:

And atleast you are getting it sorted quick and not having to drive round in the VR standard with low compression (ie gutless) for ages now like me :( ho hum!

seen your thread mate,gutting about the rotrax!? thought they were reliable? you going to get it rebuilt?

Yeah its pretty gutting :( Well they probably are reliable from new but i got mine off Coxy and he got it off ebay so who knows what past its had! I am going to strip it and see if i can figure out what wrong whilst im not working, and going to find out what price it will be to get it rebuilt. If its not totally fudged then i will get it rebuilt and put it back on, but tbh once i get a job and am earning again i think i am just going to go turbo!

great pics buddy - cheers for the update - that block looks lovely. it's really nice to build something from new like that isn't it?! :D

sorry to see the old girl stranded there - won't be long though. just think you should have more fire when you're done anyway due to actually having some compression!!! :norty:

all the best mate

Cheers Grif cant wait,but wait no more,parts arrived but mising thrust washers :bad-words: but never mind,will get them from VW,checked the tolerances on my 160k crank and they are like new well chuffed ! :D

Got loads of bits sandblasted,so im going to paint the steal bits and leave the alloy as is,also got some stainless bolts so it all looks nice and clean.

Some randoms

Picture117.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Picture119.jpg

Picture139.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Picture132.jpg

Later... :wave:

kool.

Has to be one of my fav projects.

All the more interesting as you have shared your probs as well as your successes.

keep on keeping on.

Cheers bud :) i love reading threads about other builds mainly on Vortex,it gives me lots of ideas and hours of reading,not a great deal goes on the CF like this so why not... :tongue:

James, looks amazing buddy!

Can you explain what you are doing with the plastigage? Are you putting some goop on the crank which then spreads itself out and you measure how far it spreads? :scratch:

Ta,

Jon.

James, looks amazing buddy!

Can you explain what you are doing with the plastigage? Are you putting some goop on the crank which then spreads itself out and you measure how far it spreads? :scratch:

Ta,

Jon.

You hit the nail on the head bud,it measures the gap between the shell and crank that inturn gives you the shell size you need.

Very interesting stuff. I will probably never own a VR6, but it's still a fascinating read! :salute:

Yeah true, I should prob get some plastigages for when I do my KR, but I meant the thread is a fascinating read! Love project threads :clap:

So wait, you put the old shells back on the crank, and the annular distance makes the "goop" spread and you measure that on the gage to find the size of the closest-fitting new bearings?

looking good buddy - that's great about the crank - 160k and it still comes up like that :shock: , you've got to be happy with that. guess the engine's been looked after and that's a nice testiment to vw quality :)

i must admit, i'm quite jealous of how nice the new block looks, will be lovely once it's all back together :)

good luck buddy - keep up the good work

Cheers Griff,looks better and better now that it is coming together :tongue: got more done today and engine back in,just waiting on my inlet manifold to come back from powder coating then its time to start up! :grin:

More randoms...

Picture121.jpg

Picture133.jpg

Picture144.jpg

Picture145.jpg

Picture153.jpg

Picture154.jpg

Picture149.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture151.jpg

Back at home! :luvlove:

Picture160.jpg

Funk me, you really don't hang around do you? Fair fookin play :shock: :notworthy: :notworthy:

just waiting on my inlet manifold to come back from powder coating
- tart!

loving the pics as always mate - great to see, i must admit, i'm a bit jealous of your shiny new block - very nice 8)

the rest of it is looking good as well - it's a joy to put together when it's all shiny like that! - do all vr heads suffer from corrosion issues - noticed you had a tiny spot between pots 2+4, mine had a few spots when i did it, but when i initially drained it the coolant was clean as you like... a little annoying really, not that you should ever have any trouble from it, but still...

do you know if the 24V heads are the same - my r32 engine when it arrives has only done 12k, so i might run a bit of flush through it for my own peace of mind, though i sense i'm perhaps being a bit anal...

great pics anyway matey - everyone loves seeing build and project pics.

all the best :)

Pete

Cheers Stu,but i do this for a living so its easy :tongue:

Pete,i did my manifold and rocker witha rattle can but the paint had a hard time with the fuel and droping of spaners ect :censored: so my mate getting them done in a hard powder for a tenner! as for the R32 and 2.8's they are not the same bud,but im sure with that mileage there will be hardly any wear!

Good luck with that transplant.. :camp: i like to play with the engine the car came with :p :lol:

i

Cheers Stu,but i do this for a living so its easy :tongue:

Pete,i did my manifold and rocker witha rattle can but the paint had a hard time with the fuel and droping of spaners ect :censored: so my mate getting them done in a hard powder for a tenner! as for the R32 and 2.8's they are not the same bud,but im sure with that mileage there will be hardly any wear!

Good luck with that transplant.. :camp: i like to play with the engine the car came with :p :lol:

:lol: haha - yeah you stick with your stoneage 12V - i'm sitting pretty on my 24V (once it's in and working that is... :? ) :lol:

that's a brilliant price for the powder coating - lucky git!

best of luck matey - i'm sure the fires of hell underneath your bonnet will soon be reignited and you'll be mobile again in the next couple of days...

by the way - isn't it about time you bought a quaife for it!?!.... :D

by the way - isn't it about time you bought a quaife for it!?!....

with the 4wd next year mate... :grin:

sod! - can't wait to see that buddy :D

judging by the time it takes you to sort most things out and wher you work, i'm guessing you'll have that done in an afternoon! :D

love it!

James that is just awesome. Can't say i'm not jealous though... 8) Some of those shots remind me of my block when it was out.

Have you not finshed this little job yet... :? Your standards are slipping!

Seriously though, good work, bet you cant wait to get it back on the road! Even if it is only a 2.8 now :lol: Just kidding, I'm only running a 2.8 now, but it does have 12 more valves than yours :p

he he he

Think that spinny snail thing might mean yours is a bit quicker though... :(