Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

So how old do you have to be to look a 'little silly'....

Still driving around in your Corrado! :shock:

Am I the only one to have thought it :D I just turned 33 in July and I feel like I only have another couple of years in me until something more grown up modern may have to be bought. Had the C for almost 7 years after all.

Not too sure what I would replace it with! However a Z4 coupe with a nice 6 cyclinder would maybe do the trick I reckon.

Matt

Jeeze man, if you think you look old at 33 in a C then you'll look a complete fogey in a Z! I'm 33 to and ok, i have thought the same. But i just love sports cars to much and can't ever see myself in an average boring car. Why should we drive around in 4 door saloons just because society thinks we look daft in anything merely hinting at sporty? Enjoy your C and forget what you think you look like driving it :D

Well I certainly have no plans to get a sensible grown up car, ever, and I'm now 43. Had Corrados since 95 so why stop now? It's our family car since we sold the S3 and I can't imagine that either of my kids can remember ever not having one (and my oldest is learning to drive herself now, wanted a valver until she realised how much the insurance would cost!). Never understood the need to buy a four door bland mobile (or even worse one of those disgusting mini buses called MPVs) just because you're no longer in your twenties or have a kid on the way?

33 next year and no plans to EVER get a boring sensible car. When I see dull rep mobiles, people carriers, 4x4s and the like, I'm even more inclined to stick with sporting and exciting cars.

I bought my Rado from an elderly gentleman - proof that you're never too old for a Rado!

Now imagine what it may feel like when you're 38 and drive this:

s1frntr2.jpg

So what, do I care? Nope, let people think what they like, as long as I'm happy. It also fools the cops sometimes, after which they leave me alone. Higher age = sensible, it would seem from a cops' point of view :lol:

Tempest

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the car suits you and you feel good driving it. I'm 25 and I know loads of people my age that look a bit silly in their cars. But then that's just my opinion that isn't worth anything. Just like other people's opinions of you driving your car aren't worth anything. If I live to be a million I'll still be driving sports cars.

The MK1 Scirocco - one of my all time favourite cars!

When I was 18 and at college, I was offered a MK1 Storm for £300. The £3000 insurance premium put me off buying it. Stupid decision. Should have bought it and stored it away. D'oh.

LOL Cheers for the replies guys.

Think Im just going through a 'sensible' mid life crisis :D Did get to drive a 400bhp Evo 6 Tommi Makinen a lot of the time as well but I defo feel like a plonker in that now! People scowl at you if you go past schools doing 5mph :( lol

I was feeling a bit like selling up so hoped some of you would tell me I was an idiot (in a nice way of course!) Looks like a respray, some split rims and the fitting of my VSR is on the cards then.

I think the thing that gets me is my gf is non plus about the car and I somehow always feel like I should be turning up to her parents in an Audi Avant or something to impress lol.

Anyway.....I have seen the error of my ways for now!

Thanks

Matt :)

Cool, respray time! :D Can't wait to get mine resprayed. Gotta get the charger rebuilt first though. No point in getting paint if it's just gonna blow up.

I'm worried by all the talk of selling up at the moment. Not sure if it's normally like this but a few people at the moment are uming and ahing about it.... :(

Don't worry about people selling up!

There's plenty of people like me who are new to the Corrado and will keep the enthusiasm alive!

Cool, respray time! :D Can't wait to get mine resprayed. Gotta get the charger rebuilt first though. No point in getting paint if it's just gonna blow up.

I'm worried by all the talk of selling up at the moment. Not sure if it's normally like this but a few people at the moment are uming and ahing about it.... :(

Well if you are going to keep it you may as well look your best! :lol:

Re People selling up, I dont think it helps that the Corrado is not that fast a car on the roads anymore. Yes its fast but my sisters Polo GT is faster real world than my VR6 with a 130 tdi engine in it :( So think a few people are looking for more power. Other thing as you mentioned is keeping them going! Not a cheap thing to run a 12 year old plus Corrado as we all know! lol

Matt

Don't worry about people selling up!

There's plenty of people like me who are new to the Corrado and will keep the enthusiasm alive!

Very true keep up the good work!!! :)

Hey and they still look cool as 8)

Yeah, I dread to think what I could have bought if I had saved up all the money I've spent on my dubs over the last couple of years! :shock: But I can't really think of anything I'd rather have at the moment than a corrado. And I mean that. Took the G60 out last night to where I'm storing it whilst I'm having the work done and because I've been driving around in my 1.4 golf daily it felt like the first drive all over again. :D

Buying a Z4 definitely screams mid-life crisis, regardless of how old you are. An Evo has even worse connotations (even if they are blindingly quick) :lol:

There are all kinds of ages of people that drive Corrados. A lot of us lot on here are 20s/30s but there are lots of other people I see driving about who aren't on here and just drive them because they're nice cars.

You could go out and buy a newer car (Mmmm) but I look at my Corrado and it's worth maybe £3k tops... what else can you buy for that kind of money that will keep you as happy?

Any cars that I like and would consider replacing the Corrado with are all at least £30k+ even second hand (Lotus Exige, Audi A5/S5/RS4/RS6) and that's a fair old wedge to spend on a car!

Plus, have you driven many modern cars? They're very different beasts. The new cars I've driven/been in are all nice quiet, comfortable armchair type affairs. Even the quick ones don't feel very quick when you're inside and they certainly don't have any zing to the feel.

Go drive one for a few days and then get back in the C and say you'd honestly sell up :D

Well if you are going to keep it you may as well look your best! :lol:

Re People selling up, I dont think it helps that the Corrado is not that fast a car on the roads anymore. Yes its fast but my sisters Polo GT is faster real world than my VR6 with a 130 tdi engine in it :( So think a few people are looking for more power. Other thing as you mentioned is keeping them going! Not a cheap thing to run a 12 year old plus Corrado as we all know! lol

Matt

i don't believe that about the polo, surely a vr would waste it?

Buying a Z4 definitely screams mid-life crisis, regardless of how old you are. An Evo has even worse connotations (even if they are blindingly quick) :lol:

You could go out and buy a newer car (Mmmm) but I look at my Corrado and it's worth maybe £3k tops... what else can you buy for that kind of money that will keep you as happy?

Any cars that I like and would consider replacing the Corrado with are all at least £30k+ even second hand (Lotus Exige, Audi A5/S5/RS4/RS6) and that's a fair old wedge to spend on a car!

Plus, have you driven many modern cars? They're very different beasts. The new cars I've driven/been in are all nice quiet, comfortable armchair type affairs. Even the quick ones don't feel very quick when you're inside and they certainly don't have any zing to the feel.

Go drive one for a few days and then get back in the C and say you'd honestly sell up :D

Yep I know exactly what you mean, there is no car under 350Z money that I would be happy driving over the C and even then I would maybe have to go Porsche 911 and then you are talking even bigger bills!

I guess after I get my car sorted I will have spent about £4k in a month, so it is always at the back of your mind that you could sell up have £5.5k in your pocket and add that £4k you were gonna spend and just get a 10k car! Plus I probably spend a grand a year on servicing/repairs, so could save £500 there as well. :?

But yes modern cars are lacking a bit arent they. Sister had a brand new S3 and it was pants. Civic Type R pants etc etc. Perhaps I should go the other way and buy an even older car that is more my era, back to the Scirroco Mk1? :lol:

Matt

i don't believe that about the polo, surely a vr would waste it?

Real world not really unfortuantely! 130bhp and 220ft torque (before you chip it for £350 to 180bhp 280ftlb) plus six speed box makes it pretty rapid and you get 50mpg :shock: Yeah sure if your on the right roads then yes the C will pull away, but I feel happier overtaking a lot of traffic in the Polo due to the torque spread.

I have to say, I do get very excited by Mk1 'roccos. They are beautiful, but no way I could drive one on a daily basis.

You'd be surprised about the Polos... in fact any modern VAG car with a TDI in it. I thought I'd have a very tatty-looking A3 TDI the other day going down a slip road and I just couldn't drag past it, despite having my foot firmly in the carpet.

Although I'm surprised that a few of my 'elderly' friends havn't already chipped in on this thread, I'd like to say that I find it actually quite insulting that the OP is wondering if he looks a little bit silly racing around in a Corrado.

You might be feeling like it's time to give up on life and get yer pipe & slippers ordered at a mere 33 years old, but I certainly don't feel like that and I'm a hell of a lot older than you. You need a nice comfy Avensis TDi estate matey :)

Although I'm surprised that a few of my 'elderly' friends havn't already chipped in on this thread, I'd like to say that I find it actually quite insulting that the OP is wondering if he looks a little bit silly racing around in a Corrado.

You might be feeling like it's time to give up on life and get yer pipe & slippers ordered at a mere 33 years old, but I certainly don't feel like that and I'm a hell of a lot older than you. You need a nice comfy Avensis TDi estate matey :)

LOL Now that is not what I was saying at all, I 'think' I started this thread because it was all about other peoples perceptions of you driving the C. Same way I perceived an older gentleman the other day of indeterminate age as being perhaps a 'little sad' Only because he happens to still own the original Mk2 golf gti that he bought 22 years ago, keeps the mileage down to 3k a year, polishes it every weekend oh and has a pony tail! Now you could say that is 'cool' but I think deep down we all know that it is not and I was a little worried I would slowly start the metamorphosis into him!:lol:

Not saying i should get a boring car, just something a little more modern. Would a 3.0 Z4 with aftermarket induction, exhaust and CSL alloys be pipe and slippers, hmmmm I'm just not sure. Not sure about much today, perhaps I am having a midlife crisis, better cancel that hair cut...

TDI's are just ruining the term "petrolheads" :lol:

bastards!! :lol:

That is SOOOOOO true grrrrrrr :lol: