Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Goldies Mk2 Valver - SOLD....

That's a tidy oaky there, good work!

How is your towing thing attached? the one on my mk2 is welded :(

Ta very much, the tow bar is bolted on, Martin had a look as hes expressed an interest in it for future use...

I have very little idea what my screen is worth and my half smoked rear light are in good nick but are not genuine. Judging by your motor you probably want hella. Still 10 quid for the lights. Sand and laquer them and no ne would know. 40 for the screen. Im cutting the screen rubber to get it out. You will probably do the same and fit a new seal yes. Should be fun. The cars in bishops waltham near toads place.

Well im off to collect the car thismorning - much excited!!!

More piccies will be following once its had the full detail treatment..

First purchases have also bee made, that didnt take long!! :)

Well im off to collect the car thismorning - much excited!!!

More piccies will be following once its had the full detail treatment..

First purchases have also bee made, that didnt take long!! :)

Michael,

I'm really looking forward to having a better look at this tomorrow. I bet you will have had it detailed by then :) I've found my Mk2 manual so if you need any info..........

I can see this turning into more than a daily (no not another bet), and soon you'll be after a real daily. Always better to have a french car as a daily and you won't be tempted to do anything with it.

Always better to have a french car as a daily and you won't be tempted to do anything with it.

lmao :lol:

The only thing you can do with them is spend money delaying the trip to scrap yard!

Well, the Golf has arrived, collected it Saturday morning and drove back from Ipswich to Egham and then back to Pompey and loved every minute, such a nimble car in comparison to the Rado, feels so light on its feet and although not the same kind of power delivery still not slow by any means, 4000rpm onwards and it really pulls well.

Su nday drove from Pompey up to Basingstoke, left the motorway and was stopped at the roundabout and the car died, ok i thought, restarted and carried on. Got to Fays house and same again except this time no restart, she was turning fine just didnt want to fire. So Tom comes to the rescue with the 2 dizzis, a coil and we then have a good try checking for sparks to no avail, at this point as you can imagine im starting to think ive bought a duffer.. Anyway along comes the AA man and he gets it to spark and then it doesnt again etc...

After a good play around he finds he can get the car, once started, to cut out by mob=ving the ECU on its mount, so that was removed, opened up and inspected. A few bits of solder didnt look too good so he tidied them up and reconnected, another attempted start = nothing, until he touches the cage of the ECU to the body and it sparks. He then secures the ECU back in its position with some fresh bolts and the car is fine. He reckons it may have the wrong transistor mounted ontop of the ECU and thinks it shouldnt require an earth through the metal casing, either that or its the correct one and its simply hasnt been earthed properly..

All this makes sense though, the gearbox is covered in oil where the distributor has been removed that many times, the coil looks very new, the transistor on the ECU looks fresh, seems like the reason for sale was not being able to sort it so fingers crossed within 24hrs it may be sorted. Plan is to make up a decnt earth strap and investigate whether it has the correct transistor...

What a strat to ownership but i still love it, after all this i drove the 50 miles or so back to Pompey and it was great...

Massive thanks to Toad and the AA man, still havent got the towbar off...

PIcs will come later, its been washed, clayed, washed, polished, interior sorted and all the plastics blackened, i know its let me down already but shes a beauty..

The earth on the k-jets is critical, as it is with other cars too, but if it is still a bit ropey then you will only need to be looking at a replacement ECU, not a huge investment off e-bay either.

I take it this is your first trip behind the wheel in a valver, 4k and away! Although the corrado version also feels very different compared to the VR in terms of the crispness of the handling.

sounds like it was an easy fix then?? must be the difference in buying a golf to a corrado. if it was another corrado a few thousand more things would have gone wrong at the same time!! :lol:

sounds like it was an easy fix then?? must be the difference in buying a golf to a corrado. if it was another corrado a few thousand more things would have gone wrong at the same time!! :lol:

We started fiddling with it about 3, couldn't find the cause, phoned the aa to get it towed to my place, and he finally fixed it at 9... It's the corrado sticker on the boot that's done it....

Lovely car though...

You didn't get it from a guy named Adrian did you?

Nope, would have started to be a bit worried if i had..

Come on Michael get some bloody pics up will ya!!! :lol:

Ill get there soon Rob.. By the weekend at the latest...

Last few days have been spent sorting out minor jobs, tow bar is no longer thank goodness and ive done an oil and filter change, air filter, cleaned all the oil that has been poured allover the rocker cover and all over the gearbox, flushed and replaced the coolant, oh and its had another coat of SRP....

The coolant change has highlighted the fact that the header tank is shot so im off to get one of those today and hopefully later on with assistance from Toad will be resetting the timing and adjusting the mixture to make it run a little better.. Im getting there though, i just want to get everything sorted so its reliable and then ill be replacing the windscreen..

Had a good 12ish mile run back from the SC mini meet last night along country roads and it really is where the Golf comes to life, so much fun!!

You didn't get it from a guy named Adrian did you?

Nope, would have started to be a bit worried if i had..

Didn't mean to worry you mate, would have just had a couple of things to warn you of if you had, but the car I'm thinking of didn't have the rad steering wheel anyway.

Glad you're enjoying mk2 ownership. They really are nice cars. I want another one reading this.

Ok, so ive had the Golf for a week now so i thought id post up on the progress and some pictures..

A little bit of history of the car, it wa originally supplied direct from Germany at a cost of 27314 DM and upon arrival to the uk had th steering wheel fitted to alomost the tune of 200 quid inclucing the boss kit, the mats and a tape holder which has gone over the years..

My priority with the car is to make it reliable before we get to the cold winter months, i felt it was a little reluctant to run smoothly after sitting over night but now it seems a lot better. Along with the oil and filters ive WD40d all electrical contacts and replaced the header tank, ive got a new rad fan on the way as this on is rumbling like fury. Am pleased to be able to say that the earth problems on the ECU are fine.. So chuffed as have managed to sort the MFA out aswell, asimple reboot by pulling the fuse did the trick - happy days...

Cosmetically the car has been clayed and is on to its 3rd treatment of polish and has just had a going over with the Extra Gloss Protection. The windows have been cleaned and polished inside and out, all plastics (there are loads on a Golf) have been treated to revive the blackness, wheels decoked and tyres shined up. Interior wise its been severely cleaned as the [revious onwer used a silicon based dash cleaner which cant stand and its taken me ages to get it all off. The stearing wheel is staying (simply because its unusual) and has been cleaned and the leather fed as it was looking a little sorry for itself. The engine bay cleaning has begun but ive got a long way to go, pics will arrive when im happy with it which may be a while...

Plans, i still need to find a decent and cheap windscreen, timing and mixture need reset. Ive sourced a Golf ball gear knob and a set of late spec tinted rear lights and Rado steve has lined me up with an Uber sepcial interior, pics to follow..

Got to admit im thoroughly enjoying the car, so much fun to drive and without the worry of mileage or leaving it anywhere.. I did howvever have the Rado out for a run tonight and its awesome, id begun to take it for granted and now im begining to understand how much of a great car it is again, best of both worlds i guess...

CIMG0805.jpg

CIMG0800.jpg

CIMG0806.jpg

CIMG0812.jpg

Its looking fantastic mate, top work! And didnt i say you would find the rado awesome after driving around in a worse car! I had to take mine to a mates garage wednesday night to get wheel bearing and track rods done and i picked her up tonight and again i was just amazed at how good it drives! For an old car they really do drive as goos if not better than most cars i have driven, fantastic and im fitting the supercharger tomorrow so its going to be even better!!

I know what you mean about plastic on the mk2's :shock: you dont realise how much there is until you start cleaning it up and you spend as long on the plastics as you do on the paint, but its worth the effort because imo fresh looking plastics as well as good looking paint really make a mk1/2 look special!

Anyway keep up the good work with it mate! If you want a machine polish you know where to come :lol:

Looking good Goldie Oak Green is one of the best colours on a Mk2, what about big bumpers? I know a lot of owners like the original small ones but to me it seems to make the car look very high of the ground

What about claiming a windscreen of the insurance, only cost you the excess 50/60quid

Whats the new interior? Ed1 recaro's 8) plenty of bargains on German Ebay for Mk2 goodies :)

Bill

The small bumpers are staying Bill, it wont look far off the ground for long... :)

Edition 1, too common, much rarer than that... Its from a first year release Mk2 GTI in Lhasa green only available in Germany believed to be less than 30 in the world and they are cool as cucumber... Ill get some pics up once they have been collected...

thats sooooo nice mate, really wish i bought it now. i was kind of hoping there would be something major wrong with it, to justify me not buying it last week! i think the small bumpers are cool, big bumpers are on their way out i think, get it slammed and get some BBS on there!

thats sooooo nice mate, really wish i bought it now. i was kind of hoping there would be something major wrong with it, to justify me not buying it last week!

ROFL!!

That is one of the only problems with the valvers and that is they really need a regular tune up to keep the mixture and therefore the power right.

As always Vince does a superb job as he knows the 16v engine as well as the VR block. A quick session on his RR will get it running sweet and he can up the output over 150bhp with a few tweaks too.

Don't get big bumpers, the bloody extra plastic is a nightmare.

Good work, Michael- it's come up a treat! Interior looks spotless 8) Get some new rims on there though ;-)

What did you use michael to dress the tyres forgot to ask you at tatton?? Looks fantastic fella! Keep up your fantastic work! 8)

That is one of the only problems with the valvers and that is they really need a regular tune up to keep the mixture and therefore the power right.

As always Vince does a superb job as he knows the 16v engine as well as the VR block. A quick session on his RR will get it running sweet and he can up the output over 150bhp with a few tweaks too.

Don't get big bumpers, the bloody extra plastic is a nightmare.

I had heard that Vince was extremely clued up on these engines, shame hes based so far away or id be going to see him..

No danger on getting big bumpers, the small ones look so cool and are staying..

Good work, Michael- it's come up a treat! Interior looks spotless 8) Get some new rims on there though ;-)

Agreed Andy, wheels required, havent made a decision yet but they will be anthracite or possibly darker..

What did you use michael to dress the tyres forgot to ask you at tatton?? Looks fantastic fella! Keep up your fantastic work! 8)

Tyre dressing is Meguires one, always found that to be the one i get teh best results with....