Sign in to follow this  
dubrado

How can I keep my C red and not fade pink?

As above, My car is in pretty good nick for age and mileage, just the bonnet has faded a bit which I have sorted with auto glym and t cut, but how can I get it to stay like that and stop it from going pink like all vws it lives outside so I just wanna do my best, Any advice?

You need something to seal the polish after using it. Autoglyms extra gloss protection (put it on after the Super Resin Polish) does a really good job of keeping the car red :)

Highly reccommended!

Have a look in the car care sub section of this forum....loads of tips in there.

Don't bother with T-cut as super resin polish is the same but better...i usually polish mine every time i wash it, but then i'm just a tart.

One polish should do the trick, then you'll need to apply wax. This will seal the paint and after a few more layers will help to keep it fade-free.

Mine is responding well to waxing and after the third full wax it is almost how it should be!

A friend of mine put some Auto Glym high gloss protection on his red VX and left it on for a whole weekend before removing it. The shine was amazing! 8)

Guys...Waxing/sealing isn't the absolute trick here...

Basically be sure to keep polishing,along with waxing obviously.

You have to keep the paint fresh,a wax/sealant will degrade no matter how expensive.No wax/sealant in the world will protect from uva/uvb degredation at 100% efficiency for 100% of the time its on the car,so its a slow sliding scale degredation that will eventually show up as faded paint.

Seriously,keep on top with a polish as often as you can (even inbetween waxing) everyones mad on bloody wax! Thinking that a shine/protection only comes from wax! It dosn't.

Fading comes from uva/uvb degredation as above,plus fine scratches refracting light all over the place...Polishing using correct implements/techniques keeps the paint clean,keeps on top of fine scratches,and helps win the battle vs uva/uvb.

Neil.

Can you not overpolish the paint though mate? I've always been alarmed at how red the polishing cloths get that I use when using SRP on my Rado...? Worried that if I polish that often, i'll be down to the primer!

Aye...But it all depends on how soft the paint is Jim.

A little paint colour on the cloth isn't actually a bad sign at all,if anything its at the stage where its actually telling you its very much ready for a wax...

If you tend to get a lot showing on the cloth everytime...Best to jump back to a paint cleaner/one more polish/then wax...Just as a final preperation if you will for wax.

After this stick with washing/waxing for a good few months and you will find that next time you polish it won't bleed as much...But just as importantly your paint is well prepped and should be looking good.

At this stage you will have reached a level where the paint is easily kept on top of,and will require only washing/waxing with he odd polish inbetween,the amount of times you polish depends on how well its prepped from the start and how soft the paint is.

Its a minefield :lol:

Neil.

Also...Just as importantly...Be absolutely sure to use microfibre applicators and microfibre cloths for removal...Any mutton rag type crap will be continuously battling against the products that you are using and the time/effort you are putting in.

Very important.

Neil.

cheers guys

whats a good wax to use(how much is it) never waxed before but will give it a go, anything i need to be aware of first?

cheers

Olly

Most people have their own favourite - probably best to try a few and see what suits you.

I've always used Concept carnauba wax. Really easy to apply, doesn't leave a residue and removes fine scratches. Bonus is that it doesn't matter if you get some on plastic trim or lights - it actually leaves a nice film on them, just like the paint.

Really good stuff, but I'm sure you'll get other recommendations!

Hi dubrado, I have recently used the new Dodo juice carnauba wax, the best wax i have used to date, great shine and protection..... Autoglym super resin polish,then Autoglym extra gloss protection and finished with dodo juice.... i'm sure your red rad would look great with that combo. have a look on here.

http://www.dodojuice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111

Most people have their own favourite - probably best to try a few and see what suits you.

I've always used Concept carnauba wax. Really easy to apply, doesn't leave a residue and removes fine scratches. Bonus is that it doesn't matter if you get some on plastic trim or lights - it actually leaves a nice film on them, just like the paint.

Really good stuff, but I'm sure you'll get other recommendations!

A wax wont remove scratches at all mate as they contain no abrasives, they are purely to sit on top of the paint to look good and give protection. If the stuff you are using is removing scratches (most likely filling them) then its most probably an all-in-one polish/wax which isn't the best to use imo. Using a dedicated polish followed by a dedicated wax will produce better results and give better protection.

Hi dubrado, I have recently used the new Dodo juice carnauba wax, the best wax i have used to date, great shine and protection..... Autoglym super resin polish,then Autoglym extra gloss protection and finished with dodo juice.... i'm sure your red rad would look great with that combo. have a look on here.

http://www.dodojuice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111

just looked at your photos im impressed! Ill give that stuff ago, then I can sell it and get a vr haha

You need something to seal the polish after using it. Autoglyms extra gloss protection (put it on after the Super Resin Polish) does a really good job of keeping the car red :)

Highly reccommended!

i tried some of that AG extra gloss protection, its really odd, like water almost, does this act like a wax in terms of repelling water etc?

Highly reccommended!

i tried some of that AG extra gloss protection, its really odd, like water almost, does this act like a wax in terms of repelling water etc?

Yes mate, although it wont bead up like a wax but the water just runs off it. Its a sealant so can actually offer better protection than a wax. Really good stuff, best used on top of SRP and SRP alone as its really fussy with what it bonds to!

Waxed my car nearly a month back - forgot to coat a super gloss shine into it after applying the resin... Thing is, a lot of hard work - as you'll know to get the red looking stunning... each time you go and wax it. Not a lazy guy - but a practical one (one tries to be anyway) - anyway getting to the point :sleeping:, found this on the internet. Might be what we've been looking for. Any recommendations?

Generic http://www.5starshine.com/spo.html?gcli ... godOl4O-Q#

Re. application to my car (older cars) http://www.5starshine.com/info-buffing-compounds.html

Polished and waxed as I've said in another thread, however is it best to use T-Cut (colour restorer) all the time? And then obviously apply plenty of coats of T-Cut Colour-Fast afterwards? Another thing - the Super Resin Polish when applied then starts to take off the damn Colour-Fast! Now my understanding from the general info here, is that in order to seal it 'properly', I've got to use Autoglym's Extra Gloss Protection (which I did)... :pale: And to get to my point here - it's only been a week (lots of rain mind you), and the paint work's starting to take the p!ss again. Red paint. Spent nearly 2 days perfecting it!

Ok - long enough message here - but tips... Can anyone recommend if it's better to leave each application on for longer before buffing them off (as I've kinda read someone saying). Each application being T-Cut restorer, colour-fast, Autoglym's super resin, and extra gloss. And obviously if anyone recommends it, not to do it in the sunshine, as I've found baking the T-Cut on is a b@stard to get off. None of this would be an issue if I didn't have a red car. :scratch:

My roof is a little bit pink (rest of car had a respray not too long back). Tried T-Cut, then NXT tech wax then EGP last weekend, helped a bit but it's still kind of "milky" looking. I'll persevere with the SRP, then EGP after every wash for the next couple of weeks and see if I can't bring it back in stages.

Know what you mean about the red on the cloth, though Jim - bit alarming!

i don't see how you get red on cloth unless the car has no laquer or clearcoat?

surely the paint would have to pass through this layer to end up on your cloth, and if its on your cloth surely you are removing paint each time, well definately you are imo

put no end of polish and wax on mine and cloth doesn't change colour

i don't see how you get red on cloth unless the car has no laquer or clearcoat?

surely the paint would have to pass through this layer to end up on your cloth, and if its on your cloth surely you are removing paint each time, well definately you are imo

put no end of polish and wax on mine and cloth doesn't change colour

I did wonder this myself - would be interested to hear from one of you detailing chaps on this?

This is slightly different, my faterh had the bonnet on his green beamer reprayed some years back. Now it goes cloudy with apparent deep water marks on it within days of a wash. I havve polished and waxed it and every time the polishing cloth goes VERY green and even teh paint sealent (its the Halfords Williams product) doesnt seal it completely. Any suggestions? As above, i'm concerend that soon i will be down to the primer at this rate :(

Is it worth putting Autoglym's Super Resin Polish on after applying the T-Cut Colour-Fast? Does the Super Resin Polish help to somehow bond the Extra Gloss Protection more permanently? If so - is it worth applying the Super Resin Ploish before applying the Colour-Fast too? :help:

i got rid of my t-cut products, especially the coloured ones, they are probably whats making your cloth change colour