Sign in to follow this  
slimtater

New member - money to spend!!!!!

I have just bought a VR6 for a weekend fun car. It is a 1995 model, red with black leather and 90k on the clock. I got it for a very good price. I have put £1000 aside to spend on it. First thing I was going to do was have a thorough service - a couple of names local to Derby are C&R Enterprises and Midland VW. Any thoughts? I also want to either valet it myself or get someone to detail it - again local to me.

The car is standard apart from a K&N element. Any views on how best to spend my money after getting the service and valet done? I want to keep it fairly standard - subtle mods only that are improvements on standard parts. Been offered a set of genuine TT wheels with tyres for £250 as well!

Here is what I have just sold:

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL476/24 ... 282733.jpg

Service and sorting any 'unknowns' is always a good place to start.

Best advice though? Put the money to one side until you've driven it for a month or 3 ;)

Hello, and welcome. Good skills on the new purchase, I'm sure you wont be disappointed!!

Subtle mods would be wheels, suspension and exhaust, that should put pay to the money you've got to spend on it.

40mm drop would be my first port of call. The standard VR suspension is a little high :lol:

Welcome. Umm a good few "real" improvements I would do while still maintaining the standard stance is:

- the lupo wipers (although I believe there are now retro aero wipers out which is alot cheaper),

- Uprated head light loom,

- Later golf MkIII 288mm front brake upgrade,

- BMC CDA air filter,

- All read rear lights,

- Clear/smoked side repeaters.

Both seem to get very favourable reviews but C+R sound very much worth a visit for good honest opinion and work on the Corrado :)

Spoke to C&R a couple of times and never once did i feel like they were tjust trying to get money from me, more like they were trying to give me stuff cheap.

'lo and welcome 8)

Missing the LCR yet? Mine seems a tad quicker than the VR's I've upset ;)

I went from a 2.0 16V to the Leon and tbh doubt I'll return... are you on SCN by any chance?

'lo and welcome 8)

Missing the LCR yet? Mine seems a tad quicker than the VR's I've upset ;)

I went from a 2.0 16V to the Leon and tbh doubt I'll return... are you on SCN by any chance?

Oh yes - the LCR was without doubt the best car I have ever owned. Had it from new and for nearly 4 years, it was remapped as well. On SCN - same user name - great forum.

Getting a new Leon FR TDi next month to ease the pain. The VR6 will just be a fun car.

Welcome to the club. Seems like you got a real deal on your Corrado.

Can vouch for the Lupo wipers which are available through this site. They make up the sum total of the mods I'm planning for my VR6, but they make a huge difference.

Enjoy.

I was in a similar position to you when I bought my 'rado last year. After getting it properly checked over, I ended up getting new drop links cos the old ones were trashed and a new waterpump as it failed with mucho whining.

As far as mods go, the things that I did quite quickly were fit a set of H&R coilovers, dropped by about 40mm, looks much nicer, handles better. Then I got a Neuspeed rear anti-roll bar fitted, which tightened the steering up no end and made a big difference. The other thing I hated was the longish throw on the stock gear change, fitted a Dieselgeek quickshifter from the States which made the change so much nicer in both directions.

Uprated headlight wiring loom is a must if you plan on driving at night - the ones on eBay are quite basic, I made my own with soldered / heatshrunk connectors and water-resistant fuse holders plus OE headlight plugs from the dealers. I haven't had any problem with my stock Corrado wipers, but I did fit a set of silicone wiper blades. Most owners seem to go for the Lupo wipers though.

Next to go on are a set of 288mm brakes in place of the stock 280s. Bigger pad area etc, is supposed to give much better braking. And, eventually, a full paint job :-)

I've used C&R in the past, for my Mk 2 Golf GiT and they were spot on, though definitely not cheap.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and Corrados generally. I think it's an addiction, but it's worth it when you're howling across the Peak with the windows down listening to that mad noise :-)

All suspension bushes

Lupo wipers

Headlight loom

288mm front brakes with braided hoses f&r

Then start thinking about mods... ;)

Oh, but keep some money back for when the heater matrix goes (it will).

Service and sorting any 'unknowns' is always a good place to start.

Best advice though? Put the money to one side until you've driven it for a month or 3 ;)

Cannot re-iterate this enough.

Don't go modding stuff until you know the engine is sound. Really is very very important.

There's nothing lamer than a tricked out car that's broken down because the owner didn't keep it in good nick.

Although i'm sure you'll take care of it :)

jodie at midland vw is very good at servicing vr's he has had he's fair share of them :lol: but to be honest they are very easy to service youself though.

but 288's i would strongly suggest, lupo wipers. and non tractor suspension would be my first things to do.

karl

I live in Derby myself.

When i first got my C i went to Sunset VW a few times. However they didnt replace my brake caliper as requested, and then when they did they didnt set it up correctly, so it failed the MOT, and it was a suspected handbrake cable, so i ended up with a spare one when the MOT station came to replace it and they just realigned the calipers.

Anyway, i had my engine rebuild done by Midland VW and i cant recommend them enough. Since the rebuild i've had no problems what so ever, the car doesnt skip a beat and it feels better than ever to drive. Firstly i would take it to them for a thorough service and a good look over. Get them to check everything mechanical, then once it has a clean bill of health you can crack on!

First things first, with the winter coming, is some new wipers and headlight loom. Although i cant talk, i've had mine for over a year and i still havent done either of the above!

Any views on how best to spend my money after getting the service and valet done?

Welcome -

couldn't resist with the above question -

first thing that came to my mind -

:lol: Yeah, I will send you my Bank Account details - extra funds for my Corrado always come in useful :lol:

Hope you enjoy your new ownership

Any views on how best to spend my money after getting the service and valet done?

Welcome -

couldn't resist with the above question -

first thing that came to my mind -

:lol: Yeah, I will send you my Bank Account details - extra funds for my Corrado always come in useful :lol:

Hope you enjoy your new ownership

Hmmmm, let me think........

........nope, sorry! :D

What is the uprated wiring loom I keep hearing about - DIY or off the shelf?

Sounds lie you have got yourself a good buy mate.

Quick question = which car (the C or the LCR) handles best?? Its a long debate im in with my best mate :)

We dont stop raggin each other when in the pub etc........

Enjoy the joy of six fella :lol:

Quick question = which car (the C or the LCR) handles best?? Its a long debate im in with my best mate :)

Id say Corrado all day long. I used to have a platinum grey LCR and didnt rate the handling much. The Corrados far better.

What is the uprated wiring loom I keep hearing about - DIY or off the shelf?

You'll find out how much you need one soon enough with the nights drawing in! DIY if you're confident with electrics, off the shelf if not. There's nothing to it really, just a couple of relays and some decent gauge wire, I've always made my own although the latest one was a bit different as I had to get dip and main beams on at the same time with the Inpro lights.

Take a look at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60470&hilit=wiring it'll tell you how to do it.

Sorry to say this, but it is the LCR. I really must have a good 'un but I have always found it be fantastic. Even the bloke who bought it off me couldn't believe how much better it felt than others he had driven. The other cars I have had in the last five years were an Audi S4 and Sapphire Cosworth and the LCR is the best of both of them - understeer v oversteer!

Whilst the C is very good (especially for the age of car) my LCR was quicker point to point. Power delivery, torque, traction and brakes are other factors to consider and this is where the LCR comes out tops - even when compared with other similar cars.