Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

So how much power is too much power!?

Blimey this thread has moved on with most of the info going straight over my head :wink: :lol:

I wish I could make my mind up what to do! TBH as a daily driver I couldnt really afford to only get 20mpg or less. Really do love my motor but am struggling so much with it gettin old now and having to replace bits all the time. Must be gettin old myself as I just feel like an easy life with a newer car :D Feck knows think I will have to toss a coin :?

If the engines tired, what about fitting an R32 instead, that'll give you some extra power even if you use the standard ECU (246hp?). Nice amount of power and reliable for everyday use.

Think that'd be my route if mine dies...

I do drive mine every day and its mostly town driving, however on the way home from Storm (110miles) I used less than half a tank. Thinking of running either a 0.681 or 0.717 fifth gear set up though.

If I was doing mine again I would definately go the R32 route and then add the Rotrex obviously :lol:

Great engine, very very quite compared to the 12v. Difficult to tell if a standard one is actually running at idle!

Well my car has 'only' done 75k so its not really tired. Im just tired of keeping on top of things really.

R32 route would be very good idea but as engine is ok I may well just put my VW VSR on and add some cams hadnt I? How much would R32 swap be, that must be at least 4k isnt it? And then car wouldnt really be original which would bother me :lol:

Plus in my mates Golf R32 it didnt sound as good as my 12v somehow :? Still food for thought....

Damn why do I have to like cars so much :D

[quote name="CrazyDave

Great engine, very very quite compared to the 12v. Difficult to tell if a standard one is actually running at idle![/quote]

Yeah thats not a good thing is it :lol:

Agreed, the 12V sounds a lot more organic and meatier than the 24V.

24V sounds too metallic and raspy for my tastes, kind of hollow and thin.

As Dave says though, the 24V is whisper quiet at idle and very smooth!

Is it a wierd trait of 24v engines or something Kev?

My Alfa sounded a bit similar - hollow and 'dry' - until I replaced the exhaust with a special pasta sports exhaust :)

There was a horrible resonance at about 3500rpm in the R32 though which made it literally a complete headache to drive anywhere slowly!

My Alfa sounded a bit similar - hollow and 'dry' - until I replaced the exhaust with a special pasta sports exhaust :)

I'd think it would be more to do with the 4 valves per cyl as opposed to the 2v per cyl of the old VR.

Only evidence I have for this is that the old mk2 8vs used to "bark" a lot harder than the valvers when they both had filters on... :?

Well yeas, I didn't specifically mean 24 valves against 12v!

I'll clarify - more valves = lamer sound than less valves :)

I'd think it would be more to do with the 4 valves per cyl as opposed to the 2v per cyl of the old VR.

Only evidence I have for this is that the old mk2 8vs used to "bark" a lot harder than the valvers when they both had filters on... :?[/quote:4f175]

There was a horrible resonance at about 3500rpm in the R32 though which made it literally a complete headache to drive anywhere slowly!

Isn't 3500rpm ish when the inlet manifold does that changy over thing?

Engine tone is affected by lots of things...... how fast the air/exhaust passes through it, intake and exhaust manifold design, firing order, internal resonances and exhaust tuning and so on....

A lot of it is exhaust tuning. For example, the Ferrari 360 sounds bloody awful.....too loud a chavy in the lower gears and just a hollow shriek further up the revs. Ditto the Lambo Gallardo. I know this because there's a Ferrari / porsche / Maserati / Lambo dealer where I work and I hear them thrum up and down the road all day long.

I honestly walk down the road, hear this horrid noise, expecting some Corsa with a 5" pipe to drive past, but no, it's a Ferrari 360 or Gallardo, LOL!

The Ferrari 599 GTS on the other hand sounds utterly gorgeous.....deep and bassy, a proper GT car sound :-) So pipe engineering as Doubles says can have a big impact on the noise.

Yep, the R32 does have a nasty resonance at 3500ish and I also hate the throttle mapping on those cars. The first cm of throttle travel seems to give you all of the engine's power at once, and then rest of the pedal travel - nothing!! Where a 12V hitches it's skirt at 4000rpm and dashes to the horizon, the R32 feels flat and uninspiring. Does it's best work below 4000rpm.....but it's the standard MK4 I'm referrring to. Modded R32s are better with cams etc and better mapping.

I couldn't agree more Kev. Lots of modern fezzas, gallardo, and many others sound totally lame. I can't stand the whailing/shreiking/blaring noise that the 360 makes. It's hideous.

Personally I love the sound of some of the supercharged Merc V8s - eg, the SLR. Like being back in WW2 again for some people I bet! :) I heard that Hurricane that crashed at the airshow at the weekend just before the pilot lost control - very sad indeed - but the sound of that engine was amazing.

Yep agree totally..... V8s are my favourite engine for both noise and grunt and those Merc SL55s sound awesome! It's worth buying the soft top just so you can hear it more!

I absolutely love Yank V8s too and one day, a Chevy LS2 V8 shall find it's way in a car of some description.....and where the back seats would normally be ;-)

Yeah I love Yanky V8s too.

Have you ever heard an 800bhp nascar at full chat? I love the really hard-edged V8 sound they make. Brilliant :)

Only on SkySports mate ;-)

In real life they must sound evil.....and LOUD!

Earsplittingly LOUD!

Mind you I almost fell off my feet the first time a Mk1 Viper ALMS was fired up next to me! My ears were ringing for a good hour afterwards..

Oh my we are getting carried away now!

Anybody put an Audi V10 in the back of a C yet? They sound wonderful :)

I know what you mean about the R32 standard mapping, it's a bit over the top with the 1/4 throttle thing. But with a standalone it'll make more power and you can set the throttle up how you want anyway.

It's amazing how much engineering goes into making a modern car sound right.... but the trouble is everybodys taste is different. I like quiet, refined, smooth with huge lumps of torque. Others like millions of revs and loud rasping exhausts. But hey, it'd be boring if we all liked the same thing :D

Oh my we are getting carried away now!

Anybody put an Audi V10 in the back of a C yet? They sound wonderful :)

I know what you mean about the R32 standard mapping, it's a bit over the top with the 1/4 throttle thing. But with a standalone it'll make more power and you can set the throttle up how you want anyway.

It's amazing how much engineering goes into making a modern car sound right.... but the trouble is everybodys taste is different. I like quiet, refined, smooth with huge lumps of torque. Others like millions of revs and loud rasping exhausts. But hey, it'd be boring if we all liked the same thing :D

I'm yet to hear a nice V10 personally. I think they sound dry and dull in my experience.

Like you say though, horses for courses.

Ok then guys so I think we may have decided that too much power doesnt actually exist :lol:

So what do you recommend upgrade wise if your going to run 300bhp and similar torque? Think will almost 100% go Rotrex.

Peloquin dif

Low compression gasket set

ARP bolts

New clutch! Will a Sachs one be ok? If so what model??

Oil pump

Gearbox checked, final drive from a diesel added?

Do I need an oil cooler?

Anything else?

Cheers guys much appreciated

Matt :-)

P.S Yes V8's sound awesome. Wish my g-friend would get my car on Overhaulin so they could stick a Hemi in it! :D But I have to say I do quite like the Ferrari howl sounds better in the 355 than the 430 though 8)

Ok then guys so I think we may have decided that too much power doesnt actually exist :lol:

So what do you recommend upgrade wise if your going to run 300bhp and similar torque? Think will almost 100% go Rotrex.

Peloquin dif

Low compression gasket set

ARP bolts

New clutch! Will a Sachs one be ok? If so what model??

Oil pump

Gearbox checked, final drive from a diesel added?

Do I need an oil cooler?

Anything else?

Cheers guys much appreciated

Matt :-)

P.S Yes V8's sound awesome. Wish my g-friend would get my car on Overhaulin so they could stick a Hemi in it! :D But I have to say I do quite like the Ferrari howl sounds better in the 355 than the 430 though 8)

Plenty of spare underwear?

Thats gonna go like a motha funka! :)

Thats gonna go like a motha funka! :)

Ha ha I think you could be right. Only doing it to see the expression on my sisters face next time Im following her in her 360bhp EVO TME and Im still there in the mirror :lol: