Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

Accelerator cable lube

Always have done. Who wants to have a clutch/accelerator or bonnet cable fail on them for the sake of a few minutes work? The things may have already got lubricant on them from the factory but who knows.

The last one I got for the C I sprayed white grease into one end whilst holding the cable vertically. I then hung it in the garage that way until I could see that the grease had come all the way through before fitting it. Cant do any harm, anyway.

I have always lubed cables in our cars from time to time and we have not had one snap or stick in nearly 40 years of motoring.

I am no engineer but anything I can do to prevent a breakdown - I go for it.

Thanks for the reply. I guess any grease should really do the trick then or should I specificaly use that spray grease that you mention? ? I was a bit concerned about putting grease on it and things sticking to the grease and then getting the cable messy.

White lithium grease spray is good stuff anf very similar to what VW use on locks etc when sevicing...

On the throttle cable tho I just use some oil (usually off the dipstick) to lube where it goes round the butterfly, as for the rest of the cable you can't do much as it's sleeved, i'd say if it's sticking then change it for the sake of £20 - half the 2nd hand Corrado's i've driven when looking to buy have suffered from sticky throttle cables - changing it makes one hell of a difference!

It actually is a brand new cable I put on 3 months ago. If I floor it she takes about half a second for the power to drop off - not nice and sharp just as it should be. I didn't have any spray grease but I put a thin application of lithium grease (just from a tub not a can) round it. Ill give her a drive tomorrow and see if I notice any difference.

Hi - pretty simple question, but nothing in the search for it.

When you fit a new accelerator cable should you also lube it and if so what is best to use?

I would say don't lube it at all.

The reason is that most modern throttle cables are in a nylon sleeve which is designed to be self lubing to an extent. If you actually oil the cable it will allow extra crud to get stuck on the cable and then work it's way up the sleeve causing premature failure and excessive wear.

I would say don't lube it at all...

I agree, a new one should be nice and smooth and working oil down the cable is really just a temporary fix to a worn out cable, they bend through 180 degrees on the 16v as the components were designed for LHD cars and the cables do wear badly at this point.

That's interesting, Yan and david and I know you will be correct. 8) Is this seen in auto and aero engineering?

Come to think of it, there are some dry metal/nylon or nylon/nylon sliding parts around in other applications. Presumably a little silicon spray or WD-40 might improve these runners, or can you forsee a snag in using these lubricants, too?

From what I understand the purpose of using nylon is that it is a slippery surface and thus doesn't need lubricating, but I might well be wrong.

Aye...Most cables for throttle/clutch are self lubricating.

If anything using oils/grease etc can make them 'sticky' after a while as a small amount of dirt builds up inside,sticking to the oil/grease you have used.

Neil.

That's interesting, Yan and david and I know you will be correct. 8) Is this seen in auto and aero engineering?

Come to think of it, there are some dry metal/nylon or nylon/nylon sliding parts around in other applications. Presumably a little silicon spray or WD-40 might improve these runners, or can you forsee a snag in using these lubricants, too?

Again the nylon is designed to 'self lubricate' oil and grease will pick up dirt and increase wear, a prime example is the seat runners, a bit of lube helps initially but will eventually collect dirt and cause excessive wear.