Sign in to follow this  
stemid

Will no PAS belt fail MOT?

About 7 weeks ago my power steering belt snapped on the motorway. I haven't bothered replacing it as I have a dodgy shoulder and thought that the extra strain would be a good daily work out for me. Now I'm used to driving the car without PAS and I don't feel the need to fix it.

However.... will I fail the MOT without a belt? :?:

It may not be specifically mentionned in the 'rules' but I'd imagine most testers would fail the car on safety related grounds as it's the steering which is involved and the vehicle was obviously designed for the PAS to be operational!

Fail, I'm sure. How are you keeping the battery charged, or the water pump running without the v-belt? I assume it's a separate belt on your engine?

just a thought from this... if a PAS rack was continually used without PAS working wouldn't it put a tremendous amount of strain on all the racks, pinions, cogs, and gears, etc... (hedging my bets there...!)

Doesn't the PAS hydraulics take a huge amount of 'pressure' off the mechanicals having to directly turn the wheels....??

pb

About 7 weeks ago my power steering belt snapped on the motorway. I haven't bothered replacing it as I have a dodgy shoulder and thought that the extra strain would be a good daily work out for me. Now I'm used to driving the car without PAS and I don't feel the need to fix it.

You must have arms of steel, because when my PAS belt snapped, I had to immediately change it, was as stiff as a corpse! Was paranoid of busting my rack/column, too. I reckon you should put a belt back on and see the difference, you might change your mind :p

no a power steering belt is not part of an mot test so can't fail

The belt itself wont be covered but the vehicle will still need to have a working powersteering system as it is fitted as standard.

So if the tester deems the steering to heavy to turn on the spot,regardless if the owner is built like the hulk,it WILL fail.

Its lazy not to fit a £3.50 belt mate,get it done 8)