Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Exhaust hits on rear subframe after lowering

Is this a normal occurrence after lowering the car (about 40mm)?

I've had a look and there is very little space for vertical movement of the exhaust over the rear sub frame. It will either hit the bottom of the floor or the top of the sub frame. Any solution other than an after-market exhaust?

The OEM pipe bends up and then down just after exiting the rear suitcase silencer thus leaving very little room for travel.

Dutch

Sounds like an exhaust fitment issue, not quite lined up properly.

There should be about 10mm gap between the top of the pipe and the floor and the centre of the pipe's bend should be precisely above the axle, if that makes sense?

I have a non crimped 2.5" bore pipe going over the axle and it doesn't knock and I'm minus 50mm.

I've got a true 74mm exhaust from front to back and my corrado,it's also lowered on FK coilovers,it's all in the fitment and alignment,at first it did foul the back axle badly but after cutting,welding measuring loads of times i eventually got it right,ok sometimes when i hit a large pot hole it will touch but nothing serious.

My C is lowered mate and I had the same problem with my exhaust clunking over bumps on the frame.

But just had a new set of rubber hangers put-on and the problem was solved. :D

They weren't knackered but the slight sag made all the difference to clearance when you were sat in the car.

Maybe worth a quick check.

myn used to hit with a magnex and as low as it will go on coilovers,i just put pipe clips round the rubbers to stop the zorst dropping down so mutch,been sound for 2 years :D

Mine's pretty low on coilovers and I used to get probems with the magnex hitting the body or rear axle. I ended up fitting extra rubbers wherever I could just to stop the exhaust bouncing so much over bumps.

Excellent, thanks for the response guys (...I kind of forgot I posted this question tbh :oops: )

It does stick out a bit more at the back than normal after fitting the twin cats, so it would seem if I remove an inch or so off the joining pipe in the middle it shouldn't knock anymore as the bendy bit will be pulled forward into the right place.

Dutch